Your Day Today!

XTreme

28 minutes ago, Saul said:

Don't see that many E39's now, you can still just about get a decent one for banger money but they are going up.   Not Alpinas obs. Great Cars.  

I once took an E38 740d off a client for dent payment, it was 500000km with worn out everything but would cruise the A2 across souther Portugal at 230kmh with nothing but a hum! Going that fast with that worn suspension bushings felt like steering a small fishing boat over rough seas:classic_laugh:

That was a classy car and I would own another if ever found a nice manual one with the right seats.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I once took an E38 740d off a client for dent payment, it was 500000km with worn out everything but would cruise the A2 across souther Portugal at 230kmh with nothing but a hum! Going that fast with that worn suspension bushings felt like steering a small fishing boat over rough seas:classic_laugh:

Another stunning looking car.  Not my thing but if I had continents to cross that would be a good choice.    You can still get a tidy one here for £2000 but you also see nice ones for £20,000.   I like the smaller nimble Beemers.  E36/E46 Compact or even Z3. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Saul said:

Another stunning looking car.  Not my thing but if I had continents to cross that would be a good choice.    You can still get a tidy one here for £2000 but you also see nice ones for £20,000.   I like the smaller nimble Beemers.  E36/E46 Compact or even Z3. 

Nothing like a compact, here's my 318ti

db8adf82-5ad4-4496-8413-3b7f4f3ec4f6.jpg.56c9a1b11823dca027ff3415677da1db.jpg

From 1:05 on this video, too:

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Nothing like a compact, here's my 318ti

db8adf82-5ad4-4496-8413-3b7f4f3ec4f6.jpg.56c9a1b11823dca027ff3415677da1db.jpg

From 1:05 on this video, too:

Cool, I love my E46 318Ti also, right engine, right gearing, right balance, right car.   Of course I may be bit biased.   I bought it 3 years ago with just 60,000 miles, new cam chain as well for good measure.   Can't find any decent photos of it right now but do have them some where. 

When I was Saab mad I used to do track days mostly at Castle Coombe and Thruxton.  Kids came along and took the budget for those high jinx.

The E83 is my wife's money pit.  

IMG_0134 2.JPG

CC3.JPG

IMG_0001.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Buckster said:

Last of the real Saabs. 

In my mind the two door T16 without the S body kit on 16" Super Aeros was the purest of them but I was a Saab geek.  I do still miss my 99T two door and I could geek on about that for pages.  But you are right once GM became involved things went down hill.   Do have a soft spot for the 9000 which was not a GM inspired product although did get a GM V6.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

Lovely car! The E46 would have been a lot more balanced for track driving, no?

Classic Saab 900 was a surprisingly good handling car, the 99 was better IMHO but you are right the E46 a much better more modern developed package in many ways.    Thing is with those old Saabs you have to compare them to their contemporaries to appreciate how good they were.  Back in the days when 100 BHP was a lot for a car the Saab 900 was head and shoulders above most mainstream offerings.    Not just in power, the double wishbone front suspension was awesome.  My C900 in that picture had 200,000 miles on it and was running 200 BHP without hiccup.  The motor could have produced much more but the gearbox was the Achilles heel in that model.   

Again though a lot of modern cars blow both the E46 and c900  into the weeds in every measurable way but it's all about they way they feel.    Whoops nearly let the geek out, its alright I have put him away again.  🤣

• Like 3

If one of my household told me they were getting a Beemer I'd kick them square in the nuts. Breakdowns involving self igniting egr valves, limp mode due to gear change position faults.
Most of the older ones along with some mercs and VWs are being bought up by the immigrants and chavs who promptly remove the DPFs turning them into even more unreliable polluting bags of stinking crap.

Most cars built between 1996 and 2006 were some of the best ever, that has long since passed.

• Like 4

My long term friend who recently died had a long spell with Saabs. We'd jump in and thrash it to where ever we were going to have a walk. Derbyshire, Dorset, they just soaked it all up.
He had a silver aero which was "a motorbike on four wheels", his words.:classic_laugh:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Catteeclan said:

If one of my household told me they were getting a Beemer I'd kick them square in the nuts. Breakdowns involving self igniting egr valves, limp mode due to gear change position faults.
Most of the older ones along with some mercs and VWs are being bought up by the immigrants and chavs who promptly remove the DPFs turning them into even more unreliable polluting bags of stinking crap.

Most cars built between 1996 and 2006 were some of the best ever, that has long since passed.

BMW's are not what they were but then again that is true of most modern cars, they are past their pinnacle as you say.    I think it is sad how the drift scene has destroyed most of the Compacts in the UK.    Mind you having said that I have a mate with a new 2 series and that is a very nice car, how long it will stay that way is yet to be seen, but as it stands a very nice way to travel.     But isn't that the plan keep it for 3 years then bin it for the next best thing 😢.  Cars and to some extent bikes are now like white goods, not really long terms prospects as they were.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

My long term friend who recently died had a long spell with Saabs. We'd jump in and thrash it to where ever we were going to have a walk. Derbyshire, Dorset, they just soaked it all up.
He had a silver aero which was "a motorbike on four wheels", his words.:classic_laugh:

Depends which Aero, now a 9000 Aero had a lot of potential.  Or a 93 Viggen both with the 2.3 Turbo motor.  😎  Mind you the Viggen would try and kill you quite regularly.  

I know a Scottish chap who had a much modified 9000 Aero running 600 BHP, munching gearboxes was his hobby.    You genuinely meet the best people through the Saab community.  I was a Mod on UKSaabs for years and still think of the owner of that site as a friend.  

• Like 4

Morning mingers 😘 

Kind of got the day off and the requests for dishes are in. Murgh Makhani, Begum Bahar, King prawn Korma, Samosa’s, Padron peppers, mushroom rice, poppadoms n chutneys, garlic naan followed by icecream n a nice cocktail for pud. 

Not making the naans or the poppadoms because it’s not worth it for the few bites they get. 

Pudding I’m going to do the ‘Screaming O’ a lovely cocktail of vodka, baileys, kahlua, amaretto n cream. Well worth the effort.

It’s still fecking freezing but the blanket of ice over the field has made everything feel very Christmassy 😊

• Like 4

4 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I doubt it will ever happen but if I wanted a car to keep and pamper it would be German , the last of the properly made Mercedes..............

SE.thumb.jpg.f3cd239fa85c16ef3ff56482e451370a.jpg

Beautiful

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Morning mingers 😘 

Kind of got the day off and the requests for dishes are in. Murgh Makhani, Begum Bahar, King prawn Korma, Samosa’s, Padron peppers, mushroom rice, poppadoms n chutneys, garlic naan followed by icecream n a nice cocktail for pud. 

Not making the naans or the poppadoms because it’s not worth it for the few bites they get. 

Pudding I’m going to do the ‘Screaming O’ a lovely cocktail of vodka, baileys, kahlua, amaretto n cream. Well worth the effort.

It’s still fecking freezing but the blanket of ice over the field has made everything feel very Christmassy 😊

What’s wrong with egg and chips 🤔

• Haha 1