Your Day Today!

XTreme

5 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Where's the two-tone Lilac ..........

Confused Girl GIF

Lilac?.. LILAC.. DONT TALK TO ME ABOUT THE FECKIN LILAC

That room is still undergoing angry painting by eldest son, the very purple paint has been painted over with white but it’s still very much bright lilac so progress has halted whilst tantrums are had 😆

• Haha 5

At the start of last season  I traded a basically new Moto Guzzi for a 30 year old Ducati. Long story. Anywhos, the Ducati had been sitting in a garage unused for 20 years and needed TLC. I jumped right in, hit a few roadbocks, and got it on the road just in time for the last "event" of the season. Truth be told, it has FCR flat slide carbs which are notorious for cold start issues, they have no choke. And this one had that issue in spades. If it sat for a week or so I'd dump raw gas into the airbox to get it to fire. Not all that convenient considering you have to remove the seat to lift the tank to get to the airbox...

THIS year I was going to address that. I took it out of storage in the early spring, got it into the garage, and just never felt like screwing with it. I did get it to fire up without resorting to dumping raw fuel down it's gullet, but it was such a long involved process I didn't bother riding it. 

Cue much bitching about FCR carbs, arguing with FCR fanboys, and gathering info on what to do. Tore into the carbs once again, discovered one problem but so what I was already replacing that part anyway, and put it all back together. Fired it up. Looked like a success but ran out of time to test ride. 

Which brings me to my day today. Yeah I know it took me a while to get here. Trust me, that rambling only covers a small part of what went on along the way to get to today.

So anyway, yeah, today. Today I took it on a 15 mile test ride and woo freaking hoo, it worked like a bike should. Well a 30 year old bike should anyway. This is my 4th Super Sport, I kinda like them. but I hadn't ridden one in years. A couple observations. 

After having only ridden a Street Fighter V2 these past two seasons the bike seemed very, um, how can I say it? Not refined. Holy crap nothing about this bike is subtle. 

The throttle response is immediate. Downshifts were fun. The exhaust doesn't sound as nice as I remember my earlier SS's sounding. I may have to start looking for a fake Termi system for it. (You can tell they're fake by the welds - they're too nice to be Termis...). The riding position isn't as bad as I remember - I must be thinking of my 996. I'm not going to tour on it any time soon but it wasn't ridiculous. 

The bike did everything it's supposed to do, about as well as a 30 year old bike will do it. A completely different ride than the Street Fighter. Dry clutch with the infamous rattle. Truly full floating brakes that clunk and rattle over bumps. Flat slides that chirp under the "right" conditions. A much more in your face sort of riding experience. No gear indicator, no traction control, no ABS, no gas gauge or cruise control... oh, wait...

IMG_6340.JPG.99cd4d6a04d3ee0b68c2e3b8db0e3b3e.JPG

So yeah, I'm well chuffed as I think you fuzzy little foreigners say. Now of course the rain is coming but it will see more use soon. I put 75 miles on it last year. I'm shooting for 100 this year! It'll hit 8000 miles by 2025 at this rate!

PS - that's a 1993 Ducati 900ss Super Light. A one year only model for the USA, only available in yellow. I've wanted one since I first saw one in the dealer back in '93.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, DesmoDog said:

At the start of last season  I traded a basically new Moto Guzzi for a 30 year old Ducati. Long story. Anywhos, the Ducati had been sitting in a garage unused for 20 years and needed TLC. I jumped right in, hit a few roadbocks, and got it on the road just in time for the last "event" of the season. Truth be told, it has FCR flat slide carbs which are notorious for cold start issues, they have no choke. And this one had that issue in spades. If it sat for a week or so I'd dump raw gas into the airbox to get it to fire. Not all that convenient considering you have to remove the seat to lift the tank to get to the airbox...

THIS year I was going to address that. I took it out of storage in the early spring, got it into the garage, and just never felt like screwing with it. I did get it to fire up without resorting to dumping raw fuel down it's gullet, but it was such a long involved process I didn't bother riding it. 

Cue much bitching about FCR carbs, arguing with FCR fanboys, and gathering info on what to do. Tore into the carbs once again, discovered one problem but so what I was already replacing that part anyway, and put it all back together. Fired it up. Looked like a success but ran out of time to test ride. 

Which brings me to my day today. Yeah I know it took me a while to get here. Trust me, that rambling only covers a small part of what went on along the way to get to today.

So anyway, yeah, today. Today I took it on a 15 mile test ride and woo freaking hoo, it worked like a bike should. Well a 30 year old bike should anyway. This is my 4th Super Sport, I kinda like them. but I hadn't ridden one in years. A couple observations. 

After having only ridden a Street Fighter V2 these past two seasons the bike seemed very, um, how can I say it? Not refined. Holy crap nothing about this bike is subtle. 

The throttle response is immediate. Downshifts were fun. The exhaust doesn't sound as nice as I remember my earlier SS's sounding. I may have to start looking for a fake Termi system for it. (You can tell they're fake by the welds - they're too nice to be Termis...). The riding position isn't as bad as I remember - I must be thinking of my 996. I'm not going to tour on it any time soon but it wasn't ridiculous. 

The bike did everything it's supposed to do, about as well as a 30 year old bike will do it. A completely different ride than the Street Fighter. Dry clutch with the infamous rattle. Truly full floating brakes that clunk and rattle over bumps. Flat slides that chirp under the "right" conditions. A much more in your face sort of riding experience. No gear indicator, no traction control, no ABS, no gas gauge or cruise control... oh, wait...

So yeah, I'm well chuffed as I think you fuzzy little foreigners say. Now of course the rain is coming but it will see more use soon. I put 75 miles on it last year. I'm shooting for 100 this year! It'll hit 8000 miles by 2025 at this rate!

PS - that's a 1993 Ducati 900ss Super Light. A one year only model for the USA, only available in yellow. I've wanted one since I first saw one in the dealer back in '93.

Looks superb!

8 hours ago, DesmoDog said:

Good work, enjoy.:dancebanana:

11 hours ago, DesmoDog said:

Reply like it. Looks like a piece of history.

37 minutes ago, Marcel said:

100% rain today....50 to 40 mm ..think we're gonna bypass the Cabot trail and turn back south heading towards Halifax...few pics from yesterday...was mostly a highway run not much time for pics.

20230829_094945.jpg

20230829_150140.jpg

20230829_184900.jpg

Bike going well Marcel?

15 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Bike going well Marcel?

Yes Pete....pleasure to ride and for 850 lbs motorcycle it is has nimble has a 500lbs one...not because I own it...it's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned bar none...I'm dumb founded on doing anything to improve it...it's just perfect the way it is...anyone who has a chance to test ride one ..you'll see for yourself. 

20230830_080358.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Yes Pete....pleasure to ride and for 850 lbs motorcycle it is has nimble has a 500lbs one...not because I own it...it's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned bar none...I'm dumb founded on doing anything to improve it...it's just perfect the way it is...anyone who has a chance to test ride one ..you'll see for yourself. 

20230830_080358.jpg

Sounds like @Buckster needs to check one out, as it appears to be superior to a Harley.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Marcel said:

20230830_080358.jpg

Seems like you won't have problems getting a few take away pizzas either, top choice for a topbox!

• Haha 4

The MOT ran out on the CRF1000 last week so while maneuvering it into a place i can get it out easier from for the MOT this Friday i thought i'd start the old Africa Twin, put key in and turns it on, everything lights up press starter and click another fucked battery as the trickle charger says it's ok, no problem though i get the Noco Boost out and away we go churning and churning and churning, took ages for it to start firing and then run but only running on one cylinder FFS so it's carbs off again, a job i hate doing on most bikes this one in particular, that's my weekend sorted, not going to attempt it until the CRF is MOT'd as i have to move too much about to get it where i can work on it 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Reply like it. Looks like a piece of history.

It rides like a piece of history too! Put another 50+ miles on it this morning. Brought back memories. 

It made me start laughing at one point. Flatside carbs "chirp" under some conditions and they were at full chat in one corner. Between the rattles and clunks and then the chirping it just struck me as funny. No, really, it's SUPPOSED to sound like that. 

Not subtle, not refined, no excuses given. Loud and proud. Gotta love it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The MOT ran out on the CRF1000 last week so while maneuvering it into a place i can get it out easier from for the MOT this Friday i thought i'd start the old Africa Twin, put key in and turns it on, everything lights up press starter and click another fucked battery as the trickle charger says it's ok, no problem though i get the Noco Boost out and away we go churning and churning and churning, took ages for it to start firing and then run but only running on one cylinder FFS so it's carbs off again, a job i hate doing on most bikes this one in particular, that's my weekend sorted, not going to attempt it until the CRF is MOT'd as i have to move too much about to get it where i can work on it 

Undo the drain screws first with the fuel on. Hopefully shift the water n crap in the bottom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

the  joys of old bikes with carbs.... okay if you like or are capable of fixing em .

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Six30 said:

the  joys of old bikes with carbs.... okay if you like or are capable of fixing em .

You say that but you don't hang on to anything long enough to get any probs.
Hang on, we should learn from this.:classic_blink:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

You say that but you don't hang on to anything long enough to get any probs.
Hang on, we should learn from this.:classic_blink:

Mr Bean Idea GIF by Working Title

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Undo the drain screws first with the fuel on. Hopefully shift the water n crap in the bottom.

Done that and its all clear, i cant remember the last time i started the bike, the MOT ran up in September last year so just been sat in the corner of the garage, going to pull the plugs on the front cylinder to check them first as that's the one that's not running, Tested with the very technical process of placing a wet finger on the header pipes to see which one doesn't hiss LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DesmoDog said:

It made me start laughing at one point. 

Not subtle, not refined, no excuses given. Loud and proud. Gotta love it. 

And that for me pretty much sums up a type of ride that can’t be replicated by anything other than a certain type of vehicle and a certain type of rider

💪 💥 😂 

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

going to pull the plugs on the front cylinder to check them first as that's the one that's not running,

Watch your knuckles on the radiator when your doing that :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Marcel said:

100% rain today....50 to 40 mm ..think we're gonna bypass the Cabot trail and turn back south heading towards Halifax...few pics from yesterday...was mostly a highway run not much time for pics.

20230829_094945.jpg

20230829_150140.jpg

20230829_184900.jpg

His and hers?

• Haha 1

Took the mountain bike out today and got pulled by the police for wearing earphones whilst riding. I had them on across the campo but forgot to remove them along the beach road.

Fuckers pulled me over right outside a bar full of people. 🤣🤣🤣

I know you’ll all be disappointed by the fact that I didn’t get a fine. 😜

IMG_3556.jpeg

• Haha 4