Heart in Mouth time

Saul

I had the call the morning that no parent wants.   It went: "Are you Cody's dad, he has just fallen off his scooter".   😳  Luckily it was low speed and apart from some scrapes he is fine, if pretty shaken up.    He managed to drop the scooter right outside of our Doctors so by the time we got there the Doc had checked him over and gave him the all clear.    My Mrs and I drove to pick him up and I rode the scooter home for him.  To be fair to him he did say that he would have picked the bike up and rode it home but witnesses saw everything and took over, shepherding him into the Dr's and calling me.   For which I thanked them profusely.  He is 18 and pretty inexperienced, even though I have talked to him and tried to advise, but at that age they just don't listen.  I bought him a new jacket, helmet and gloves as what he was wearing before offered no protection, the jacket and gloves saved him today.  He still argues the toss over wearing boots, even though he has a nice bit of road rash on his foot today.  🙄

The scooter is okay too, it road fine the 4 miles home from the scene of the fall.  A couple more scrapes on the bodywork and a damaged mirror are the extent of the damage.  

The pics below were taken the day I bought it for him, not quite so nice now.  🙄

IMG_6946.jpg

IMG_6944.jpg

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Saul said:

I had the call the morning that no parent wants.   It went: "Are you Cody's dad, he has just fallen off his scooter". 

As far as calls you never want to get about your kids, that was pretty nice. They could have let him phone you instead, though, and save the "my son´s dead" thought going through your head.

• Like 3

When I was 17 I could never understand why my mum wouldn't go to sleep until she heard me turn up at home at whatever time at night. Once I had kids I began to understand where she was coming from! 😂😂

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Buckster said:

If my dad had bought me a scooter I would have kicked him in the nuts.

It wasn't my choice he wanted a twist and go.   I  would have prefered something with gears.  

• Like 2

Glad he's OK and nothing more than a few bruises and scrapes, my parents too got that phonecall when I was 17 by my then employers to the tune of 'he's had an accident but he's not dead' then the phone was taken by the copper and they told my mum what had happened 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

As far as calls you never want to get about your kids, that was pretty nice. They could have let him phone you instead, though, and save the "my son´s dead" thought going through your head.

To be fair to the caller she said he was more shaken up than hurt, although it was a stressful trip until I got there and completely understood the situation.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saul said:

It wasn't my choice he wanted a twist and go.   I  would have prefered something with gears.  

Getting your kid a scooter is only one step away from child abuse. On the plus side at least you didn’t get him an Enfield.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Buckster said:

Getting your kid a scooter is only one step away from child abuse. On the plus side at least you didn’t get him an Enfield.

Twat. 

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Saul said:

I have ridden both....in some situations gears are very much overrated.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

My younger son was very keen till his misses said no. He'd had a couple of offs so maybe she was right.

It really annoys me when respective partners tell the partner that they can have a bike.....and it's often times by those who have never experienced one who are the worst offenders.

Similar views on rugby too......

I can understand people not wanting to play/watch football....overpaid/underskilled namby pamby poofs!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, busabeast said:

It really annoys me when respective partners tell the partner that they can have a bike.....and it's often times by those who have never experienced one who are the worst offenders.

Similar views on rugby too......

Yes n No

If you'd experienced my other halves driving skills you'd say NO... GOD NOOOOOOOOO

He was so awful he was once invited onto a Kilroy-Silk prog about bad drivers. The fleet insurance company we used refused to insure the company unless it was specified he would not be a driver. He wrote off more than one car a year for at least ten years!

But he is an excellent rugby player 🤷‍♀️

And then eventually after I had a bike a while I relented and said How about a trike?  This would I thought bypass some of the riskier aspects (feck me I did not know how expensive those things are 😆).

So he had a Harley trike (it was stunning) and very quickly he started to ride it completely differently. To the extent I said how about a motorbike then?

The weirdest part is on a bike he's good but he gets back in a car/van and is as awful as ever?!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yes n No

If you'd experienced my other halves driving skills you'd say NO... GOD NOOOOOOOOO

He was so awful he was once invited onto a Kilroy-Silk prog about bad drivers. The fleet insurance company we used refused to insure the company unless it was specified he would not be a driver. He wrote off more than one car a year for at least ten years!

But he is an excellent rugby player 🤷‍♀️

And then eventually after I had a bike a while I relented and said How about a trike?  This would I thought bypass some of the riskier aspects (feck me I did not know how expensive those things are 😆).

So he had a Harley trike (it was stunning) and very quickly he started to ride it completely differently. To the extent I said how about a motorbike then?

The weirdest part is on a bike he's good but he gets back in a car/van and is as awful as ever?!!

I just say as my brother isn't a bad driver and had a bike before he got with his wife and he'd like another one but his wife tells him he's not getting one end of.....no ifs no buts NO!

Which I think is totally wrong, but he does play football so he is a namby pamby tart so he'd probably end up with a harley or something 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, busabeast said:

I just say as my brother isn't a bad driver and had a bike before he got with his wife and he'd like another one but his wife tells him he's not getting one end of.....no ifs no buts NO!

Which I think is totally wrong, but he does play football so he is a namby pamby tart so he'd probably end up with a harley or something 

I don't think that sounds like a very healthy relationship from the outside looking in.  I am lucky that my Wife doesn't stop me having a bike, although I know she is not that keen, I would imagine if I wanted to borrow money on the house to splash out on something big and expensive she would have something to say about it, but I wouldn't do that.    In return I am not a big fan of horses although she and my daughters spend a lot of time and money on that.  I understand that is their thing and I wouldn't want to spoilt it for them.  You can't just shut downs someone's interests unless there is good reason, that hopefully you both accept. 

On driving I don't enjoy riding with my other half, way to leaden footed  and ragey for my liking.  She doesn't smash the cars up but they bleddy well work for a living when she is behind the wheel.  😳

• Like 2

1 hour ago, busabeast said:

Get him to drink four cans of Stella and go and tell her he’s getting one 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Saul said:

I don't think that sounds like a very healthy relationship from the outside looking in.  I am lucky that my Wife doesn't stop me having a bike, although I know she is not that keen, I would imagine if I wanted to borrow money on the house to splash out on something big and expensive she would have something to say about it, but I wouldn't do that.    In return I am not a big fan of horses although she and my daughters spend a lot of time and money on that.  I understand that is their thing and I wouldn't want to spoilt it for them.  You can't just shut downs someone's interests unless there is good reason, that hopefully you both accept. 

On driving I don't enjoy riding with my other half, way to leaden footed  and ragey for my liking.  She doesn't smash the cars up but they bleddy well work for a living when she is behind the wheel.  😳

Well my Mrs has said I'm retiring from playing rugby.....how little she knows