Your Day Today!

XTreme

25 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Frustrated with myself and my mechanical incompetence. I've got a XR400 pissing fluid down the carb's little escape tube instead of starting, fuel all over, even resorted to pushing it up the ramp to bump start it going down. I'm clueless.

Considering selling the thing as I haven't ridden it more than 2 or 3 times in the last 3 years.

Will take the GS and go for lunch up in the hills.

Β 

Sounds like a stuck float in the carb, so it's probably flooded now. You could try tapping the float bowl with the blunt end of a big screwdriver to see if that unsticks it. Otherwise you may need to remove the carb and check the float height and needle valve seat.

Enjoy your ride and lunch anyway. πŸ‘

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Today I’m going to ignore my responsibilities and skive.Β 

Bake some bread, maybe make a cake and drink shedloads of tea 😊

I'm trying to work up the energy and will to do some of the jobs around the house that need doing. So far drinking coffee and listening to Prog radio seems to be winning though! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Being a mechanic is not a prerequisite to being a motorcyclist!

I've thrown out this question before and nobody got it........I'll try again!

What famous rider was known for being completely mechanically incompetent, and unable to give any machine feedback to his mechanics other than to say it was shit?

George FormbyΒ 

56 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Being a mechanic is not a prerequisite to being a motorcyclist!

I've thrown out this question before and nobody got it........I'll try again!

What famous rider was known for being completely mechanically incompetent, and unable to give any machine feedback to his mechanics other than to say it was shit?

I just tried to google it and it gave me completely unrelated results, made me laugh though -

Am I too skinny to ride a motorcycle?

Am I to weak to ride a motorcycle?

Do you have to be strong to ride a motorcycle?

How heavy a bike is too heavy for a beginner?

Β 

Not a single mention of mechanics πŸ˜†

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Tango said:

I'm trying to work up the energy and will to do some of the jobs around the house that need doing. So far drinking coffee and listening to Prog radio seems to be winning though! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

You could do some jobs around the house but who will drink the coffee and pay attention to the radio? πŸ˜†

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tango said:

Sounds like a stuck float in the carb, so it's probably flooded now. You could try tapping the float bowl with the blunt end of a big screwdriver to see if that unsticks it. Otherwise you may need to remove the carb and check the float height and needle valve seat.

The ride was shit, turned into rain 5 minutes in and ended up having lunch at home.

At home I did exactly that as I remembered this one time many years ago when I took the bowl off for changing the jets. A few taps fixed the leaking problem, however with all the fussing I fucked up the magic procedure to start the bike so it didn't and I left it for tomorrow.Β 

Also took apart a compost box in my garden as there are suspicions it might have been converted to a snake nest. There are a lot of small lizards and stuff like that living in the wild bush that is my garden, and they slither around when I'm around, but after a few more or less big snakes were seen I have become a little skittish of grabbing into grasses. Snakes here are mostly non venomous and eat rodents, but they are very aggressive and will make for painful encounters.

2b8f730d-1155-4958-b68e-61dca73e1ae3.thumb.jpg.197b609c954652ac6ead1041cc476004.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Can you define Real Bikers?

They ride real motorcycles, not gay ass Honda’s and they know one end of a spanner from the other.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

Frustrated with myself and my mechanical incompetence. I've got a XR400 pissing fluid down the carb's little escape tube instead of starting, fuel all over, even resorted to pushing it up the ramp to bump start it going down. I'm clueless.

Considering selling the thing as I haven't ridden it more than 2 or 3 times in the last 3 years.

Β 

Give the carb a couple of taps with the thick end of a screwdriver with the pet tap on. Might stop it, if so there will be many kicks to clear the excess fuel but should go before your leg falls off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tango said:

Beat me to it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

Β 

Grab a 17mm ring spanner and take put the plug under the carb float bowlΒ  (turn the petrol off first) try and save the fuel in the plug to inspect see if there's any crap in there, you can turn the fuel on to flush it through at this point, i also find dropping the stale fuel out the carb helps starting after being left for a while.
When you refill the carb if it starts pissing fuel just turn the tap off and start it with whats in the carb you can turn it back on when you go for a ride. If mines been left for a while dropped or flooded i find the procedure in the handbook works every time
image.png.3f0e97d92295f76bcae10f6159f5eee2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

ou have a decompression lever!?Β  I haven't seen one of those for about 20 years, and the last time I did it was on an old volvo boat engineΒ :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Grab a 17mm ring spanner and take put the plug under the carb float bowlΒ  (turn the petrol off first) try and save the fuel in the plug to inspect see if there's any crap in there, you can turn the fuel on to flush it through at this point, i also find dropping the stale fuel out the carb helps starting after being left for a while.
When you refill the carb if it starts pissing fuel just turn the tap off and start it with whats in the carb you can turn it back on when you go for a ride. If mines been left for a while dropped or flooded i find the procedure in the handbook works every time

It's a good idea to use fuel stabiliser if the bike doesn't get used often, especially with E10 petrol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MooN said:

ou have a decompression lever!?Β  I haven't seen one of those for about 20 years, and the last time I did it was on an old volvo boat engineΒ :rofl:

The bike has an auto decompressor with a built in anti kickback mechanism for normal starting which makes the bike feel like it has no compression the manual decompressor is for occasions when i't's flooded usually after crashingΒ :classic_laugh:Β 

Forgot to say the bike is an old design that hasn't changed much mine is 22 years old

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buckster said:

It's a good idea to use fuel stabiliser if the bike doesn't get used often, especially with E10 petrol.

I run E5 in everything unless i'm stuck but never really had a problem with old petrol being left a while other than the small amount left in the carbΒ 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I run E5 in everything unless i'm stuck but never really had a problem with old petrol being left a while other than the small amount left in the carbΒ 

E10 gums up and it's hard on some float types.Β 

• Like 2