Project NL!

XTreme

I've e-mailed Dutch Immigration to clarify a few points......just got to wait for a reply.

I posed a few questions on an Expats in NL FB group with a link to the Immigration criteria on the Dutch government page. And the stupid Admin cunt refused to publish it cos it contained a link.....despite the fact that other people have posted links! WTF?

So I deleted the link and waiting to see if the fucking dickhead allows it now.

In the meantime I thought who can I get more background from? The answer was obvious.....Bikers! So I joined a Dutch Expat group for motorcyclists, and they've been really helpful in terms of info about tax, insurance, and re-registering vehicles.

Pretty mixed bunch.....Brits, Italians, Portuguese, Germans, French etc. And very different to Expats here......the majority of them are younger and moved to NL for work, or relationships etc. After all, nobody goes there to retire.

Next step while I wait to hear from Immigration is to find horse people......cos there's no way we're leaving our horses behind.

Thinking back......I remember a thread on MB that ran for some months in 2005 following my steps to get here. Of course it's bureaucratically much more difficult this time round!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I've e-mailed Dutch Immigration to clarify a few points......just got to wait for a reply.

I posed a few questions on an Expats in NL FB group with a link to the Immigration criteria on the Dutch government page. And the stupid Admin cunt refused to publish it cos it contained a link.....despite the fact that other people have posted links! WTF?

So I deleted the link and waiting to see if the fucking dickhead allows it now.

In the meantime I thought who can I get more background from? The answer was obvious.....Bikers! So I joined a Dutch Expat group for motorcyclists, and they've been really helpful in terms of info about tax, insurance, and re-registering vehicles.

Pretty mixed bunch.....Brits, Italians, Portuguese, Germans, French etc. And very different to Expats here......the majority of them are younger and moved to NL for work, or relationships etc. After all, nobody goes there to retire.

Next step while I wait to hear from Immigration is to find horse people......cos there's no way we're leaving our horses behind.

Thinking back......I remember a thread on MB that ran for some months in 2005 following my steps to get here. Of course it's bureaucratically much more difficult this time round!

I don´t know in what kind of place you'll live, but horse riding in very popular and a lot more democratic there, if you end up somewhere outside a main city they'll probably be a lot happier with the green grass there than where you live.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I don´t know in what kind of place you'll live, but horse riding in very popular and a lot more democratic there, if you end up somewhere outside a main city they'll probably be a lot happier with the green grass there than where you live.

Yeh.....I thought that! So I'm trying to work my way into a horsey type group.

We plan to go to Groningen province in the north east which is where our son lives.

gg-min.jpg.804049c0f55ce8113e039849381a46e7.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Probaby kill a horse used to the construction straw they get to eat in Spain. That stuff looks horrible to be honest, maybe divert mud with it.... 😆

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, XTreme said:

We plan to go to Groningen province in the north east which is where our son lives.

I found our old house! 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Meester+Th.+Heemskerklaan+9,+3818+KJ+Amersfoort,+Netherlands/@52.1498059,5.3546974,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x47c643ff2dfd4cc3:0x767987b06583f028!8m2!3d52.1498026!4d5.3568861

• Like 5

When you recognise crumbliness is upon you being near family is priceless. But Im concerned you'll find it too cold and expensive. Could you rent there for a year or so without selling up your place in Spain until you're certain? You obviously did a good job with your kids if they want to have you around, hats off n all that 👍

My own dear mother has just realised frailty is on her and now keeps coming down. She left nearly 30 years ago and has previously shown no interest in her children or grandchildren. She got married 2018 and didn't even tell us because apparently "its none of our business" He then carked it in 2019 and in the last 6 months she keeps turning up down here will waggling. She is very wealthy and I find it all very distasteful.

TBH it pisses me off that after fucking up the first part of my life she arrogantly assumes she can walk back in and have me look after her. Im not doing it, I refuse to have her screwing up the last part of my life too so Ive told her I won't be about cos I'm going to travel and will be based in Spain for the start. She said "But who's going to look after me?" I shrugged.

So my plan is to just avoid her and say Im in Spain whether I am or not. Im not sure if Im ok with lying but I reckon its alright if its to protect myself? I told her outright I wouldn't be around and if she ends up with dementia like her mother did (she is showing the early signs) she might want to pick out where she wants to go now while she has her marbles. I know this sounds harsh but I can't handle her lies and manipulation, it messes with my head. What do you reckon? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

When you recognise crumbliness is upon you being near family is priceless. But Im concerned you'll find it too cold and expensive. Could you rent there for a year or so without selling up your place in Spain until you're certain?

I'm fine......it's the wife that's struggling with her osteoarthritis.

But we do have to consider what would happen if something happened to me! She couldn't be stuck here on her own.

If it was just me left there wouldn't be an issue......I'm the one who gets all the important stuff done as I have the language and the connections.

We're not going to buy another house so we'd rent anyway. Not sure when, or even if, we'd put the house up for sale. May well just keep it here (at least initially).......our Spanish neighbours can keep an eye on it for us.

Thing is, we have no mortgage so it's not a financial drain in any way.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

I'm fine......it's the wife that's struggling with her osteoarthritis.

But we do have to consider what would happen if something happened to me! She couldn't be stuck here on her own.

If it was just me left there wouldn't be an issue......I'm the one who gets all the important stuff done as I have the language and the connections.

We're not going to buy another house so we'd rent anyway. Not sure when, or even if, we'd put the house up for sale. May well just keep it here (at least initially).......our Spanish neighbours can keep an eye on it for us.

Thing is, we have no mortgage so it's not a financial drain in any way.

Id assumed it was your wife not you 👍 It might not be a drain but money in the right place makes more money. Could you rent it out? I know renting is dodgy as hell in Spain but if it was someone reliable it would be good for the coffers, maybe you could work less then?

Might be a bit cold for Tara n Terry 🥶

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Id assumed it was your wife not you 👍 It might not be a drain but money in the right place makes more money. Could you rent it out? I know renting is dodgy as hell in Spain but if it was someone reliable it would be good for the coffers, maybe you could work less then?

Might be a bit cold for Tara n Terry 🥶

Rentals are cheap here.....probably only get €300-€350 a month.

Not worth the risk for that sort of money.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

No thats not worth it! What are the rental costs like in NL?

A lot higher.......but once you get out in the rural places (which is what we want) they're a bit more realistic.

I'm putting out feelers everywhere at the moment on many different aspects so just waiting to get info back.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

A lot higher.......but once you get out in the rural places (which is what we want) they're a bit more realistic.

I'm putting out feelers everywhere at the moment on many different aspects so just waiting to get info back.

Good luck. Hope its an adventure. Make sure you're on the right side of the dam!

I think itchy boots did an interesting one about the dams, she did quite a lot of stuff about the Netherlands when Covid hit. I got bored of it but if I was moving there Id probably have found it a bit more interesting!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Good luck. Hope its an adventure. Make sure you're on the right side of the dam!

I think itchy boots did an interesting one about the dams, she did quite a lot of stuff about the Netherlands when Covid hit. I got bored of it but if I was moving there Id probably have found it a bit more interesting!

I remember riding my bike fully loaded with camping gear and the wife along one of the dykes back in the early 90's in the most torrential rain i have ever ridden in with lightening striking the ground around me i ended up taking shelter under a bridge for a few hours just the kind of riding weather Pete loves :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I remember riding my bike fully loaded with camping gear and the wife along one of the dykes back in the early 90's in the most torrential rain i have ever ridden in with lightening striking the ground around me i ended up taking shelter under a bridge for a few hours just the kind of ridding weather Pete loves :classic_laugh:

Perhaps he'll take up camping too 😆

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I remember riding my bike fully loaded with camping gear and the wife along one of the dykes back in the early 90's in the most torrential rain i have ever ridden in with lightening striking the ground around me i ended up taking shelter under a bridge for a few hours just the kind of riding weather Pete loves :classic_laugh:

You and the wife were riding a Dyke?

disgusted GIF

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

So your son lives in the bit with the shittiest weather? Nice. Did you tell immigration that you are ginger?

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

😬 its 80-90% humidity year round. Might not be great for the ol' arthritis. But I suppose you got to suck it and see.

Thing is......you want to live every day!

But when every day is the same, and you just keep reliving the same day over and over again it gets too much.

And I think we've reached that point after nearly 17 years here!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

When you recognise crumbliness is upon you being near family is priceless. But Im concerned you'll find it too cold and expensive. Could you rent there for a year or so without selling up your place in Spain until you're certain? You obviously did a good job with your kids if they want to have you around, hats off n all that 👍

My own dear mother has just realised frailty is on her and now keeps coming down. She left nearly 30 years ago and has previously shown no interest in her children or grandchildren. She got married 2018 and didn't even tell us because apparently "its none of our business" He then carked it in 2019 and in the last 6 months she keeps turning up down here will waggling. She is very wealthy and I find it all very distasteful.

TBH it pisses me off that after fucking up the first part of my life she arrogantly assumes she can walk back in and have me look after her. Im not doing it, I refuse to have her screwing up the last part of my life too so Ive told her I won't be about cos I'm going to travel and will be based in Spain for the start. She said "But who's going to look after me?" I shrugged.

So my plan is to just avoid her and say Im in Spain whether I am or not. Im not sure if Im ok with lying but I reckon its alright if its to protect myself? I told her outright I wouldn't be around and if she ends up with dementia like her mother did (she is showing the early signs) she might want to pick out where she wants to go now while she has her marbles. I know this sounds harsh but I can't handle her lies and manipulation, it messes with my head. What do you reckon? 

i might be able to help , any pics of your mum ?

• Haha 6

21 minutes ago, XTreme said:

But when every day is the same, and you just keep reliving the same day over and over again it gets too much.

Smash Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Best start reading up on dehumidifiers then 😆

• Haha 3