Project NL!

XTreme

40 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

A tenner says you're back in Swansea by Xmas.

Funny thing is that back in 2005 people were saying I wouldn't last long out here! Remember the doubters @Tym?

They certainly got that wrong didn't they?

And I left Swansea 30 years ago......I wouldn't even go back there in a fucking box!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

I'm fine......it's the wife that's struggling with her osteoarthritis.

But we do have to consider what would happen if something happened to me! She couldn't be stuck here on her own.

If it was just me left there wouldn't be an issue......I'm the one who gets all the important stuff done as I have the language and the connections.

We're not going to buy another house so we'd rent anyway. Not sure when, or even if, we'd put the house up for sale. May well just keep it here (at least initially).......our Spanish neighbours can keep an eye on it for us.

Thing is, we have no mortgage so it's not a financial drain in any way.

no Mortgage in Spain, so no financial drain, but when you get to Clog land you got to find money to rent somewhere, cost of living dearer, shite weather etc

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Haha 1

Just now, Six30 said:

no Mortgage in Spain, so no financial drain, but when you get to Clog land you got to find money to rent somewhere, cost of living dearer, shite weather etc

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Yes I know all that! But this is driven by family reasons!

But as I said earlier......we're not going to immediately sell the house, so no bridges are being burned!

• Like 1

I reckon Pete needs to give a go just to satisfy his other halves desire to be near family further down the line.

Its better to make these moves before it becomes a necessity because when people leave making the move until they have to cos of frailty or ill health they don't have the energy to get to know the area, make friends, put down roots.

Ive seen it many times- old, isolated and depressed because the only person they know is their child. Thats no good for anyone and the parent can feel like a burden. I don't see Pete being the sort of person that would be able to wear that so if they go now they'll be time to build their own lives and if its not for them there's nothing to stop them moving somewhere else. There's my two penneth worth. 

And please for fecks sake move closish to a hospital with good public transport links cos you spend waaaay too long driving back n forth!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

When you recognise crumbliness is upon you being near family is priceless. But Im concerned you'll find it too cold and expensive. Could you rent there for a year or so without selling up your place in Spain until you're certain? You obviously did a good job with your kids if they want to have you around, hats off n all that 👍

My own dear mother has just realised frailty is on her and now keeps coming down. She left nearly 30 years ago and has previously shown no interest in her children or grandchildren. She got married 2018 and didn't even tell us because apparently "its none of our business" He then carked it in 2019 and in the last 6 months she keeps turning up down here will waggling. She is very wealthy and I find it all very distasteful.

TBH it pisses me off that after fucking up the first part of my life she arrogantly assumes she can walk back in and have me look after her. Im not doing it, I refuse to have her screwing up the last part of my life too so Ive told her I won't be about cos I'm going to travel and will be based in Spain for the start. She said "But who's going to look after me?" I shrugged.

So my plan is to just avoid her and say Im in Spain whether I am or not. Im not sure if Im ok with lying but I reckon its alright if its to protect myself? I told her outright I wouldn't be around and if she ends up with dementia like her mother did (she is showing the early signs) she might want to pick out where she wants to go now while she has her marbles. I know this sounds harsh but I can't handle her lies and manipulation, it messes with my head. What do you reckon? 

I reckon you've got to do what you've got to do.  To me it sounds like your gut feeling is correct 👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

When you recognise crumbliness is upon you being near family is priceless. But Im concerned you'll find it too cold and expensive. Could you rent there for a year or so without selling up your place in Spain until you're certain? You obviously did a good job with your kids if they want to have you around, hats off n all that 👍

My own dear mother has just realised frailty is on her and now keeps coming down. She left nearly 30 years ago and has previously shown no interest in her children or grandchildren. She got married 2018 and didn't even tell us because apparently "its none of our business" He then carked it in 2019 and in the last 6 months she keeps turning up down here will waggling. She is very wealthy and I find it all very distasteful.

TBH it pisses me off that after fucking up the first part of my life she arrogantly assumes she can walk back in and have me look after her. Im not doing it, I refuse to have her screwing up the last part of my life too so Ive told her I won't be about cos I'm going to travel and will be based in Spain for the start. She said "But who's going to look after me?" I shrugged.

So my plan is to just avoid her and say Im in Spain whether I am or not. Im not sure if Im ok with lying but I reckon its alright if its to protect myself? I told her outright I wouldn't be around and if she ends up with dementia like her mother did (she is showing the early signs) she might want to pick out where she wants to go now while she has her marbles. I know this sounds harsh but I can't handle her lies and manipulation, it messes with my head. What do you reckon? 

I reckon you've got to do what you've got to do.  To me it sounds like your gut feeling is correct 👍

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I reckon Pete needs to give a go just to satisfy his other halves desire to be near family further down the line.

Its better to make these moves before it becomes a necessity because when people leave making the move until they have to cos of frailty or ill health they don't have the energy to get to know the area, make friends, put down roots.

Ive seen it many times- old, isolated and depressed because the only person they know is their child. Thats no good for anyone and the parent can feel like a burden. I don't see Pete being the sort of person that would be able to wear that so if they go now they'll be time to build their own lives and if its not for them there's nothing to stop them moving somewhere else. There's my two penneth worth. 

And please for fecks sake move closish to a hospital with good public transport links cos you spend waaaay too long driving back n forth!

move close to a hospital :rofl:

fuck it, cut out the middle man , just move as near as you can to  a graveyard.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Got a 320km trip coming on Thursday!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Six30 said:

move close to a hospital :rofl:

fuck it, cut out the middle man , just move as near as you can to  a graveyard.

Folk always have the notion theyre going to be healthy up to the moment they shuffle off, spoiler alert- theyre usually not. Its everyones preferred option, but old age doesn't give a hoot about that. So unless you've got a crystal ball then you have to be realistic about what old age is likely to look like for you and usually it includes hospital appointments at some point.

• Like 3

You know the interesting thing here......the members who are second guessing the whole thing are the ones who haven't known me that long compared to the original members here.

That lot know me well after all these years, and they don't make the mistake of underestimating me, or thinking that I haven't thought things through.

As I've said in the past, I don't really have many skills.....in fact in most capacities I'm fucking useless.

But in terms of business management, planning, organising, determination, resilience, and getting shit done (by any means necessary) that's a very different matter.

It's a consequence of having to live on my wits (with nobody to bale me out) throughout my entire life. In fact this time 40 years ago I was homeless......look where I am now!

So if there's a way this can be done (despite my own country stripping me of my rights) then I'm going to find it.......and exploit it!

Tell 'em @Tym

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Folk always have the notion theyre going to be healthy up to the moment they shuffle off, spoiler alert- theyre usually not. Its everyones preferred option, but old age doesn't give a hoot about that. So unless you've got a crystal ball then you have to be realistic about what old age is likely to look like for you and usually it includes hospital appointments at some point.

what about Bingo..

bingo GIF by The Orchard Films

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Six30 said:

can you string a sentence together that makes any fucking sense.

Little guy wants to know if you can make any sense. Dont you love little guy little guy likes you, huh LG? :littleguy:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Tym said:

Players play wanna bees drive vans, known fact.   :littleguy:

What Tym said!

His kind get their straightener in Kansas City....known fact!

What you say Little Guy? :littleguy:

DA didn't care for Little Guy that much as I recall!