The Tank job

boboneleg

So earlier in the year I noticed surface rust on the tank of my Tenere 700.  As the bike was still under warranty I took a trip to the dealer and he put a warranty claim straight in. 

1.thumb.jpg.72eea86be5bf86e3114e34d838d9307d.jpg

Once the tank and all the small parts arrived I asked the dealer if I could collect the tank and fit it myself as my plan was to have it painted before fitting it.  There were two reasons for this, 1. I figured that it would only have the same amount of paint on there as the original , 2. I wanted to change the colour from the manky grey O/E colour.  The dealer was fine with that so I went and collected the parts.

I am lucky that through work we have an ace painter, he does all our Ducati stuff as well as custom paint jobs on cars.  He had done a Yamaha R1 a couple of months before and had found a colour from 'House of Kolor ' that was a great match and had enough left over to do my tank and the little side panels that were also manky grey.

8.thumb.JPEG.45b47e08a29766cafd6b06b68f976589.JPEG

I managed to remove the tank from the bike a couple of weeks ago and then after I'd taken it into our workshop our mechanic removed the fuel pump and then it got painted.  Old and new side by side...............

10.jpg.e5901c9b6a26097a956932ede1bdcdb4.jpg

and one of the small side panels...........

13.thumb.JPEG.944f65652263b6cc21034521668cba9b.JPEG

On Tuesday my boss brought the finished items round to my house and I fitted it all yesterday.  It's time consuming doing it all on one leg but it's not as if I'm doing anything else.  Anyway, I'm really chuffed with the paint job and I think it looks much better that the O/E job............

14.thumb.JPEG.33d2c07e437d9e29c591127f33ec19ed.JPEG

16.thumb.JPEG.194120df936a2e3750b1c31146c8872f.JPEG

Before ...........

1306232656_sidepanels.jpg.6846da3a06faca15842a96e9badabed5.jpg

and after.............

21.thumb.JPEG.0b495e4fe37fca84b00540794587665a.JPEG

• Like 11

Much better. I only put the knee grip rubbers on my same coloured tank so people wouldn't think I had had it primed and then couldn't be bothered to get the top coat sprayed on.

I've got one of those netty/stretchy seat covers, meant for some BMW but fits fine. I fitted it so I wouldn't slide when braking, but it also keeps my small but perfectly formed bottom from getting wet when the seat has been rained on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Great job @boboneleg looks like it should have been that colour from the factory. Did they let you keep the old tank

I've still got it at the moment.  The dealer is very laid back, he says that if they want it back they usually ask within 90 days, if they don't then he's fine if I keep it .

• Like 3

Shame it went rusty in the first place but def looks better blue. And I'm guessing it won't be the shit water base paint they're using at Yam.

Every time I clean my wheels, which isn't that often, the cloth turns blue.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

I've still got it at the moment.  The dealer is very laid back, he says that if they want it back they usually ask within 90 days, if they don't then he's fine if I keep it .

Now i have to ask this is there a reason why you didn't get the old tank resprayed and sell the new one on 

• Like 1

The rust on that tank was terrible though, considering it's a fairly new bike.

If it was a Suzuki then it would be par for the course! But a Yam?

What's changed with their build quality in recent years? And where is the T700 made?

14 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Now i have to ask this is there a reason why you didn't get the old tank resprayed and sell the new one on 

If Yamaha ask for it back I'm going to look a bit of a numpty giving back a new tank  🤔  plus it was much easier to paint the new one , much less prep involved so quite a lot cheaper.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Specs said:

Perhaps it was an optional extra, sort of designer patina thing. 

Roadworn, and at no extra cost! Stick a brown seat cover on it and call it a cafe racer, it would be worth twice it's actual value at the bike shed! 😉😂😂

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Tango said:

Roadworn, and at no extra cost! Stick a brown seat cover on it and call it a cafe racer, it would be worth twice it's actual value at the bike shed! 😉😂😂

Don't forget that all important wrapping of the header pipe so that it rots 5 times faster 🤔

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, boboneleg said:

If Yamaha ask for it back I'm going to look a bit of a numpty giving back a new tank  🤔  plus it was much easier to paint the new one , much less prep involved so quite a lot cheaper.

so nice its worth risk whichever way it goes. 

• Like 1

On 23/09/2021 at 20:50, XTreme said:

The rust on that tank was terrible though, considering it's a fairly new bike.

If it was a Suzuki then it would be par for the course! But a Yam?

What's changed with their build quality in recent years? And where is the T700 made?

The tanks are made in China.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Don't forget that all important wrapping of the header pipe so that it rots 5 times faster 🤔

Oh, yeah, I forgot that important performance modification! 😂😂😂

• Like 1