Your Day Today!

XTreme

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Everyone is using a locator app for a group I’ll create before we board the ferry (just for the trip) so should anything untoward happen it’s easy to find them or them us. They work really well for group trips, although not so well to prevent on the last Colts rugby tour 4 of them shaving off all their hair just before their uni interviews and one losing their virginity to a lady of the night 😆

The deep state will be tracking you for nefarious purposes, tell her @zzzak!

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Hmm yes. It’s never full proof is it 😆

Second man drop is something I’ve experienced twice and both times the second man forgot to drop and the group was split up for what felt like an eternity. On one occasion leaving me and one other up a mountain in the foggy dark in a foreign clime 😬

But it’s France not some remote spot so I’ve asked everyone to sort out some type of sat nav be it phone or otherwise. We will stop every hour or so for a ten min leg stretch (one of the group is well into her 60’s and aches a bit), those stops will be given as sat nav co ords so faster members who don’t want to spare the horses can scratch that itch, the slower will have someone to lead and someone bringing up the rear (that’s what she said 😆). 

If anyone gets split up they can then easily continue on route to the next stopping point.

Everyone is using a locator app for a group I’ll create before we board the ferry (just for the trip) so should anything untoward happen it’s easy to find them or them us. They work really well for group trips, although not so well to prevent on the last Colts rugby tour 4 of them shaving off all their hair just before their uni interviews and one losing their virginity to a lady of the night 😆

The second man/woman rule is what we use trail riding as there are so many direction changes it's easy to get lost but as you said it only works well when everybody does it. We usually have a ride leader and a tail man/woman who is always at the rear both with the planned route and the second man/woman only moves on after they see the tail man/woman arrive. I also stress that everyone ride at their own pace and not try and keep up as we will always wait ahead somewhere. If someone wants to ride faster than the ride leader then they will have to put up with the speed or put a ride on themselves, it all seems to work really well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The second man/woman rule is what we use trail riding as there are so many direction changes it's easy to get lost but as you said it only works well when everybody does it. We usually have a ride leader and a tail man/woman who is always at the rear both with the planned route and the second man/woman only moves on after they see the tail man/woman arrive. I also stress that everyone ride at their own pace and not try and keep up as we will always wait ahead somewhere. If someone wants to ride faster than the ride leader then they will have to put up with the speed or put a ride on themselves, it all seems to work really well.

Yer well the group I’m going with are the ones who fail at the second man drop thing.

So will have a tail and a lead and if I get to a straight and can’t see the tail I’ll slow down or pull over. If they all have the next stop destination in their sat nav it shouldn’t be too hard. If it is I’ll go back and get them but I don’t see that happening (famous last words) because they’re kind women but all of them underneath that are pleasingly tough.

I’m sure I’ll be pleasantly surprised 😬😆

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yer well the group I’m going with are the ones who fail at the second man drop thing.

So will have a tail and a lead and if I get to a straight and can’t see the tail I’ll slow down or pull over. If they all have the next stop destination in their sat nav it shouldn’t be too hard. If it is I’ll go back and get them but I don’t see that happening (famous last words) because they’re kind women but all of them underneath that are pleasingly tough.

I’m sure I’ll be pleasantly surprised 😬😆

You could also start a whats app group for the trip and share your live location in there 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

You could also start a whats app group for the trip and share your live location in there 

Thanks I didn’t know that 👍

There is a WhatsApp group but it has a few people on it who aren’t coming.

And at the end of the trip I delete the group and then the app from my phone cos it’s invasive. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Thanks I didn’t know that 👍

There is a WhatsApp group but it has a few people on it who aren’t coming.

And at the end of the trip I delete the group and then the app from my phone cos it’s invasive. 

Some of us start a whats app group when there's a weekend ride coming up in the future and invite people going on the ride to the group if someone drops out they get deleted that way everyone is up to date with whats going on and after the ride the group is deleted
You can turn off all notifications if it's that you find invasive if its the app itself i find it far to useful to not have it

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Some of us start a whats app group when there's a weekend ride coming up in the future and invite people going on the ride to the group if someone drops out they get deleted that way everyone is up to date with whats going on and after the ride the group is deleted
You can turn off all notifications if it's that you find invasive if its the app itself i find it far to useful to not have it

I should have deleted them when they couldn’t come but I didn’t and two of them aren’t coming cos they are having a hard time and are enjoying the chat so I don’t feel like I can boot them off now. 

I’ll definitely bear it in mind next time. 

WTF am I saying what next time 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Finally managed to stop the water leak in our front garden. It was leaking from the garden watering system. Switching off the mains water supply didn't seem to have any effect. We found out that it was also supplied from well water pumped from one of our neighbours garden, but we didn't know where it was coming into our garden. I eventually tracked it down to a pipe which appeared from the neighbours garden, under a fence and buried in a hedge on the opposite side of our garden from where the leak was. It was coming through in a 1" black plastic pipe and then splitting off to go to the watering system and a standpipe.  I couldn't see any way of isolating it, so I bought an inline plastic tap assy and a pair of plastic pipe shears and cut the pipe close to where it comes into the garden. Wasn't easy, as the water was still being pumped, but I managed to cut the pipe and fit the tap without getting too drowned! Hopefully this will keep our neighbour on the other side quiet now, as she tackled me about the leak every time she saw me, even though the leak was on my garden not hers!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Tango said:

Finally managed to stop the water leak in our front garden. It was leaking from the garden watering system. Switching off the mains water supply didn't seem to have any effect. We found out that it was also supplied from well water pumped from one of our neighbours garden, but we didn't know where it was coming into our garden. I eventually tracked it down to a pipe which appeared from the neighbours garden, under a fence and buried in a hedge on the opposite side of our garden from where the leak was. It was coming through in a 1" black plastic pipe and then splitting off to go to the watering system and a standpipe.  I couldn't see any way of isolating it, so I bought an inline plastic tap assy and a pair of plastic pipe shears and cut the pipe close to where it comes into the garden. Wasn't easy, as the water was still being pumped, but I managed to cut the pipe and fit the tap without getting too drowned! Hopefully this will keep our neighbour on the other side quiet now, as she tackled me about the leak every time she saw me, even though the leak was on my garden not hers!

Bored Disinterest GIF

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Tango said:

We have a leak somewhere cos we’re losing water pressure but ripping up the house to find it seems a bit much!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

We have a leak somewhere cos we’re losing water pressure but ripping up the house to find it seems a bit much!

We're on a water meter, so I was keen to investigate the leak, but it turns out that it wasn't the mains water. 

• Haha 2

One of my work minions (the not too bright one) has gone and got himself a full bike licence and bought a Suzuki Gladius. He was in at the same time as me today. I was parked behind Whitechapel station inside one of our site work fences, he had wedged his bike in with the hospital car park motorbikes.

We walked out together, then separated. I spent ages extracting my bike, with a helpful Bulgarian in a hard hat opening the fence for me and helping me pull my bike backwards over a small gravel pile that wasn't there when I went in. I then rode down a small side road over the top of the railway line, fought my way through the never ending peds using the market and turned left out into standing traffic on Whitechapel Road, I ended up pulling around the queue and going down the outside to the signalled pedestrian crossing at the station. There I saw said Minion, easily recognisable with his hard shelled back pack, at 45 degrees across the road and with the surrounding vehicles pulling away to leave him in the middle and him frantically pushing at his starter button.

I pulled up behind him, still trying to start it. He finally realised who was behind him, turned and shouted, "I just dropped my bike for the first time ever". Looks like he'd over balanced pulling right out of the hospital entrance into the traffic. I suspect a bit of front brake whilst handlebars on full lock action took place.

If that Bulgarian had been a bit quicker I'd have been able to watch him go over!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, MooN said:

to be fair, that shouldn't be happening.  the better, more expeienced riders should be able to adapt their speed to the lowest common denominator and not incite them to ride beyond their abilities.  ( yeah, idealistic I know) 

thats ok till the fast lads get fed up of watching the snails 

I’ve been getting double glazing fitted in the flat over the last couple of days, needed planning permission because it is a listed building and windows had to be wood and a particular style, pain in the arse.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I’ve been getting double glazing fitted in the flat over the last couple of days, needed planning permission because it is a listed building and windows had to be wood and a particular style, pain in the arse.

And expensive not doubt. Lets have a pic when finished.

• Like 1