What happened to all the bugs?

Tym

11:58 youd think the outside light would be buzzing with life like usual, nothings out there, we dont have any bugs like we used too. Its so bad you notice. :classic_unsure:

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Tym said:

11:58 youd think the outside light would be buzzing with life like usual, nothings out there, we dont have any bugs like we used too. Its so bad you notice. :classic_unsure:

Yeh......thinking about it I haven't seen the usual hordes of flies and mosquitos this Summer.

There was a study over here some years ago highlighting that fact. We were putting a sticker on the front of the car and counting the dead bugs on after a run which was total crap as who's to know what distance covered and whether out in the country side, at night etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tym said:

I will send you a box of midges.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Marcel said:

It's the case here.... Plenty... A hord of mosquito carried off a kid the other day... 

Was it a baaaaaaaaad kid? 🤪

18 minutes ago, Marcel said:

It's the case here.... Plenty... A hord of mosquito carried off a kid the other day... 

in a van.

• Haha 1

Habitat changes, light pollution, intensive farming over too many acres, pesticide use (particularly water soluble pesticides). Caused an over 70% decline in insect numbers which has already led to the disappearance of some species of farm birds and the pollinators that directly support our food chain are also disappearing fast but lets just carry on like nothings happening until we reach environmental collapse. The greedy psychopathic bastards who think this is all dandy assume they will have checked out before the consequences land, looks like we're gonna see it a lot sooner than they thought. 

Make It Rain Money GIF

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Habitat changes, light pollution, intensive farming over too many acres, pesticide use (particularly water soluble pesticides). Caused an over 70% decline in insect numbers which has already led to the disappearance of some species of farm birds and the pollinators that directly support our food chain are also disappearing fast but lets just carry on like nothings happening until we reach environmental collapse. The greedy psychopathic bastards who think this is all dandy assume they will have checked out before the consequences land, looks like we're gonna see it a lot sooner than they thought. 

Make It Rain Money GIF

A lot of this is down to the fact that the world is over populated. We're trying to produce so much food so gallons of pesticides goes out out on the fields. 

Sure enough there's another orchestrated war looming.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

A lot of this is down to the fact that the world is over populated. We're trying to produce so much food so gallons of pesticides goes out out on the fields. 

Sure enough there's another orchestrated war looming.

Mismanagement and the distribution mechanisms in place are wholly flawed. Theres a phenomenal amount of food waste, 2.5 billion tonnes of food per year (about a 1/3 of all food produced), thats a lot of unnecessary damage.

Spains introducing very high fines (up to 500,000 euros) for food producers and restaurants that throw away food, they have to have agreements with food banks and charities to use it, harsh but a step in the right direction. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Mismanagement and the distribution mechanisms in place are wholly flawed. Theres a phenomenal amount of food waste, 2.5 billion tonnes of food per year (about a 1/3 of all food produced), thats a lot of unnecessary damage.

Spains introducing very high fines (up to 500,000 euros) for food producers and restaurants that throw away food, they have to have agreements with food banks and charities to use it, harsh but a step in the right direction. 

I've seen first hand the huge amount of waste a large supermarket chain commits in this country 😠

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Now you mention bugs, or lack of, I covered around 100 miles yesterday, and on the front of the scoot (it's white remember) I had 4 bug splats in total, and not one on my visor.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I fear we’re tipping over the precipice. 

I see plenty of small wild bees in our garden. But big ones (Bumblebee) are a rare sight. 😕 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Clive said:

I see plenty of small wild bees in our garden. But big ones (Bumblebee) are a rare sight. 😕 

Germany do an in flight catch study. They catch everything flying over a certain area (can’t remember how big) then weigh the catch. Since the 70’s it’s gone down 76% and during the summer when activity should be at its height it’s dropped over 80%

Just to add to the woe the catch is done over a nature reserve - no light pollution, low pesticide levels, the ideal environment for insects, so they’e saying everywhere else is likely a lot worse than that! 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Germany do an in flight catch study. They catch everything flying over a certain area (can’t remember how big) then weigh the catch. Since the 70’s it’s gone down 76% and during the summer when activity should be at its height it’s dropped over 80%

Just to add to the woe the catch is done over a nature reserve - no light pollution, low pesticide levels, the ideal environment for insects, so they’e saying everywhere else is likely a lot worse than that! 😞

Those figures are frightening.............when I used to turn our outside light on with in seconds it would be swarming with bugs, recently very few.

But houseflies  still manage to end up in my cuppa when I sit outside. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1