I've got an old Helmet!

XTreme

I bought my helmet January 2016.......so today I thought it was about time I took out all the padding and lining to give it a good wash! It was looking a bit grimy it has to be said! 

Anyway, I inspected the inside to see if everything looked OK and I found the sticker saying when it was made......March 2012! :classic_ohmy:

So it was nearly 4 years old when I bought it, and in 4 months time it'll be 10 years old! Yet they say to change your helmet every 5 years! Bollocks to that!

Logically, if this lead time between build and the actual sale is consistent then it means that you need to replace your helmet virtually as soon as you've bought it!

How often do you replace yours?

• Like 3

My newest lid is 6 years old, it is stored in a helmet bag in the wardrobe when not in use.

My other lid is about a year older, I use that on a regular basis, well, as regular as I ride.😂

Never dropped either of them, and they seem ok, no scratches or scuffs.

They will do for the low speed riding I do.

• Like 2

I don't care about dates, I change them when I think the previous one is worn out or unconfortable.

My previous Schuberth C3Pro was changed when the rubbers sealing the visor shut were getting old and ripping, and the interior padding had lost it's capacity to bounce back, it made the helmet a little too big. Also by chance I scratched the visor so it went and I bought a new one exactly the same. I think that one had done 4 years, maybe 5, but a lot of dusty touring in Morocco meant that the interior had been out and washed plenty of times.

This current helmet isn't lasting as long as the previous one, it feels comfy but a little on the large and loose side if I go fast on the motorway, plus I dropped it and it bounced off the street two or three times, which I didn't like doing. I was squeezed against a wall by a truck on a tight street and let go of the helmet. I have been doing more miles now than before so maybe that is why it feels like it's aging faster too.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Clive said:

My newest lid is 6 years old, it is stored in a helmet bag in the wardrobe when not in use.

My other lid is about a year older, I use that on a regular basis, well, as regular as I ride.😂

Never dropped either of them, and they seem ok, no scratches or scuffs.

They will do for the low speed riding I do.

Why would you buy a newer helmet and not use it regularly?

11 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Why would you buy a newer helmet and not use it regularly?

Cos it's a shit helmet 😂....and it has bad ventilation....not good in warm weather.😰

• Like 3

I change mine when the thing starts to move at speed because the inside has got looser or if the visor is badly scratched. The price of visors/pinlock etc makes it easier to get a new lid by the time they get older. My previous crash hat lasted from about 2015 til 2020, I reckon that's about 60-80,000 miles worth. That was a little loose and had a scratched visor so I bought the same one again. I probably drop them quite a few times because I'm clumsy, but I'm wearing it to keep my head warm and dry, my eyes from watering and to avoid a ticket from the Old Bill, not for protection as such unless it's from flies, wasps and birds which is usually what hits my head at speed.

• Like 4

I don't necessarily change my helmets every five years, mainly because I have more than one.  The thought of leaving it 5 YEARS before cleaning it though is making me cringe.  I clean mine at least twice a year, more if I've been somewhere hot .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

I bought my helmet January 2016.......so today I thought it was about time I took out all the padding and lining to give it a good wash! It was looking a bit grimy it has to be said! 

Anyway, I inspected the inside to see if everything looked OK and I found the sticker saying when it was made......March 2012! :classic_ohmy:

So it was nearly 4 years old when I bought it, and in 4 months time it'll be 10 years old! Yet they say to change your helmet every 5 years! Bollocks to that!

Logically, if this lead time between build and the actual sale is consistent then it means that you need to replace your helmet virtually as soon as you've bought it!

How often do you replace yours?

When I feel like it, if I see one on sale and decent I’ll buy one.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

The thought of leaving it 5 YEARS before cleaning it though is making me cringe. 

The visor gets a wipe down now and again though Bob! 

• Haha 3

The thing here is some of you are saying your helmet is x amount of years old.......but are you going by the date inside the helmet or when you bought it?

Cos when you bought it is irrelevant in terms of the ageing and deterioration process.

• Like 2

Funny enough i washed the guts of the helmet i use trail riding this week, i have another for the non sweaty stuff. I usually change them when their totally fucked. I've almost pushed my spine out my arsehole at least half a dozen times this year alone by hitting my head on a low branches trail riding so there's no way i could afford to change it every time it gets a bump like they say you should.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, XTreme said:

The thing here is some of you are saying your helmet is x amount of years old.......but are you going by the date inside the helmet or when you bought it?

Cos when you bought it is irrelevant in terms of the ageing and deterioration process.

Not really a black or white thing, Pete, by using it you start exposure to a big part of the elements that start deteriorating it. It's all relative, but if never worn and stored properly they surely have a big shelf life.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tym said:

I;ll use stuff to death so it has to wear out then replace...... Unless.... i want something  like an Arai open face thats on sale..... 😀

no excuses needed, @Tym, when a man wants a toy he can have it :classic_laugh:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

no excuses needed, @Tym, when a man wants a toy he can have it :classic_laugh:

Except when you're married......then excuses, along with lying and bullshitting, are needed!

stressed lose my mind GIF

• Haha 5

Using it accelerates deterioration but the important part, the polystyrene that cushions the blow starts deteriorating from the date it’s manufactured. They give a separate ‘safe use’ date of 7 years from that date. A lot of money spinning bollo I reckon. Like any polystyrene type material, stick your thumb in and if it resists like normal then dandy, if it gives way too easily then goodbye. 

I am partial to Yens way of thinking, who cares?! Wear one or not, thats freedom. 
The NHS pays for fishermen, rugby players, football guys and horse folk to do what they want uninsured at high cost to the tax payer so hows about leaving the tiny percentage of bikers out there to choose? Albeit with some honest info to hand!

• Like 3