I've got an old Helmet!

XTreme

50 minutes ago, XTreme said:

A Penlan girl...... @Sir Fallsalot knows where I'm coming from!

That looks lovely 😬

We have the Bournville estate in Weston which is statistically the most deprived estate in the UK. I always wondered if the writers of Shameless had visited there. Those shoe boxes of stuff (soap a toy gloves etc) we had to donate at school at Christmas for the poor were taken straight round to the Bournville.

Even though its only 15mins ish from where I lived Id never laid eyes on the place until I was 17yrs old and my driving instructor took me there. I wasnt from a posh place but compared to the Bournville it was the ritz. Id heard it mentioned in sad hushed tones “that so and so has ended up on the Bournville” the reality lived up to expectations. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That looks lovely 😬

We have the Bournville estate in Weston which is statistically the most deprived estate in the UK. I always wondered if the writers of Shameless had visited there. Those shoe boxes of stuff (soap a toy gloves etc) we had to donate at school at Christmas for the poor were taken straight round to the Bournville.

Even though its only 15mins ish from where I lived Id never laid eyes on the place until I was 17yrs old and my driving instructor took me there. I wasnt from a posh place but compared to the Bournville it was the ritz. Id heard it mentioned in sad hushed tones “that so and so has ended up on the Bournville the reality lived up to expectations. 

The place i live was superposed to be a real rough place in the 70's but more to do with fighting than a shit hole that title was reserved for Penrhys and Lansbury park. now they were real shit holes

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The place i live was superposed to be a real rough place in the 70's but more to do with fighting than a shit hole that title was reserved for Penrhys and Lansbury park. now they were real shit holes

I used to work in a shop in Penrhys . I can just hear the planners when they were thinking about building that estate, ' lets build an estate on the top of a hill with shite houses and put all the problem families up there '  :classic_wacko:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If the article is accurate its interesting mistake, the good intentions of very flawed thinking. 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/notorious-penrhys-estate-what-happens-14016637.amp

The video in that article makes it look quite nice up to what I remember but to be fair I haven't been up there for over 20 years.  @Sir Fallsalot probably has more idea what it's like nowadays.

• Like 2

Just now, boboneleg said:

The video in that article makes it look quite nice up to what I remember but to be fair I haven't been up there for over 20 years.  @Sir Fallsalot probably has more idea what it's like nowadays.

I thought that too. 
Sticking a load of people who cant afford a car up a mountain its nuts though isnt it! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If the article is accurate its interesting mistake, the good intentions of very flawed thinking. 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/notorious-penrhys-estate-what-happens-14016637.amp

It's not the same today as it was and the views from up there are great. If they built a modern housing estate there today you would be paying top dollar for the houses If it wasn't for the god awful design on the buildings there it would be a nice place to live
 https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6459655,-3.4435171,3a,75y,179.11h,98.87t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_9Kl1_gwfgR-TDpgrJryMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I used to work in a shop in Penrhys . I can just hear the planners when they were thinking about building that estate, ' lets build an estate on the top of a hill with shite houses and put all the problem families up there '  :classic_wacko:

That's what they did in South Wales!

If you've ever been to Port Talbot you'll know it's a fucking rough old industrial town.

If people were too crazy for there they were shipped up the valley to Cymmer!

And if they were too crazy for Cymmer (which takes some doing) they were sent further up the valley to Glyncorrwg!

You don't ever want to go to Glyncorrwg......it was a no-go area 40 years ago, no idea if it's any better now.

You can buy a terraced house there for 40K.......so probably not!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That's what they did in South Wales!

If you've ever been to Port Talbot you'll know it's a fucking rough old industrial town.

If people were too crazy for there they were shipped up the valley to Cymmer!

And if they were too crazy for Cymmer (which takes some doing) they were sent further up the valley to Glyncorrwg!

You don't ever want to go to Glyncorrwg......it was a no-go area 40 years ago, no idea if it's any better now.

You can buy a terraced house there for 40K.......so probably not!

Absolutely Pete.  Same thing happened with Caerphilly, move the crazy people to Abertridwr and if they're to crazy for that move them further up the valley to Senghenydd.  I used to have a guard when I delivered ciggies in Senghenydd :classic_unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We had the same system. The lucky working ones were housed in Worle, then if they were disruptive they moved them to the Oldmixon and finally the place of no hope the Bournville. 

After I saw the Bournville during my not so well behaved years my mum would often say to me “If you carry on like that you’ll end up on the Bournville” 
Didnt make any difference I carried on ignoring her and doing what I wanted to 😆

• Haha 4

I used to visit the Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr, right in the middle of the Gurnos estate! I mentioned to one of the guys in the hospital about the ice cream vans going round all day, even in the middle of winter. "They're not selling ice-creams, it's drugs!"

Apparently one of the security guys at the hospital kept getting his small motorbike stolen from the hospital and then found trashed with the ignition hot wired and the steering lock smashed. In the end he left the keys in the bike and a note asking the joyriders to bring it back when they'd finished with it. Apparently it worked. His bike would go missing during the day, but was always back in its parking spot at the end of the day!

• Haha 3

Gurnos estate is next to Dowlais top, it's a competition to see who can scare the most outsiders.  When I used to deliver to the working mans club on the Gurnos I had to go inside first and see the manager , he would then get some of the clientel to come out and guard the lorry while I delivered the ciggies 😬

• Haha 4