Result!

Tango

4 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The course he's doing is really difficult especially with his Dyslexia, he has been given additional help but he said it's not working so he's given it up. But i think he thought it was going to be one wild party or like an episode of the young ones, and didn't realise he would have to study 7 days a week to get anywhere.

Both of mine have had that shock. They are both on demanding courses and the youngest had run himself in the ground trying to party and get through the work. I think Uni's changed the way they approach things a while ago and ride them in the first term expecting half not to come back after Christmas so they don't waste their time and the Uni ends up with successful looking students. 

One of the state schools round here is now like that, they have A level mocks the end of the very first term and literally throw out anyone who doesnt do well enough- makes their pass stats look good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

The course he's doing is really difficult especially with his Dyslexia, he has been given additional help but he said it's not working so he's given it up. But i think he thought it was going to be one wild party or like an episode of the young ones, and didn't realise he would have to study 7 days a week to get anywhere.

Sometimes they don't get on with the course. It just doesn't suit them. I guess that it's better that he does something about it now than struggling and bailing out farther into it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tango said:

One of my nieces is renting a place in Bristol with her boyfriend.  They had a hell of a job finding somewhere that would take them on, as her boyfriend works full time, but is technically self-employed! Costing them a small fortune for a pretty basic flat!

10k for my youngest for a tiny bedroom and bathroom and sharing a tiny kitchen in-between the two rooms. 

Was the same with my eldest in the first year and now he's in a house share on the outskirts of Brizzle (Hengrove) which is 8k without bills (Seven of them in one house).

I can't see it's sensible for us to chuck anymore rent at anyone. Better to buy somewhere for both of them and rent out a 3rd & maybe a 4th room let some other poor bastard part pay the mortgage and we get the money back out of the house at the end. 

I just only became mortgage free last month. I really don't want to do it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Both of mine have had that shock. They are both on demanding courses and the youngest had run himself in the ground trying to party and get through the work. I think Uni's changed the way they approach things a while ago and ride them in the first term expecting half not to come back after Christmas so they don't waste their time and the Uni ends up with successful looking students. 

It's a culture shock for many of them too. They've come out of years of school, where they're told exactly what they've got to do in each lesson into a regime where they're given assignments where they've got to go and work under their own initiative.  And many also have to learn how to look after themselves and manage finances for the first time in their lives on top of the actual Uni work.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tango said:

One of my nieces is renting a place in Bristol with her boyfriend.  They had a hell of a job finding somewhere that would take them on, as her boyfriend works full time, but is technically self-employed! Costing them a small fortune for a pretty basic flat!

Bristol is expensive whatever type of housing your looking for , rent or buying.  We're getting nowhere trying to find a suitable bungalow at the moment, we may have to look just outside of Bristol but I think Ersilia may struggle if that's the case.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I can't see it's sensible for us to chuck anymore rent at anyone. Better to buy somewhere for both of them and rent out a 3rd & maybe a 4th room let some other poor bastard part pay the mortgage and we get the money back out of the house at the end. 

I just only became mortgage free last month. I really don't want to do it.

One of my mates did that. I think he's only recently sold the place and his boys have been out of uni for 5 or 6 years now. But at least it's not dead money, unlike rent!

• Like 2

Just now, Tango said:

It's a culture shock for many of them too. They've come out of years of school, where they're told exactly what they've got to do in each lesson into a regime where they're given assignments where they've got to go and work under their own initiative.  And many also have to learn how to look after themselves and manage finances for the first time in their lives on top of the actual Uni work.

Yep thats why I was grateful they chose Bristol. You're taking what is essentially still a child with minimal life skills, removing them from everything they know, moving them to the other side of the country and saying get on with it!

Stressed, lonely, unable to manage your finances or cope with the work, don't be a wimp get on with it. Unsurprisingly many of them have also spent all their money by Christmas and really can't go back. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tango said:

One of my mates did that. I think he's only recently sold the place and his boys have been out of uni for 5 or 6 years now. But at least it's not dead money, unlike rent!

Yep if they want to stay in Brizzle after uni they can get a job n take on the mortgage or we'll sell it. The youngest has his heart set on a doctorate so I don't think it's going to be a short ride. 

Also moving back in with mum and dad? I have my doubts about how well that works!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/12/2022 at 01:36, Grasshopper said:

I survived a really difficult day today and overcame some challenges, so on a positive note, I am alive tonight. 🙂

always a bonus ..being alive at the end of the day

• Like 4

This feels more like a miracle than a result.

I have new hearing aids and I can fucking hear!!!!!

Mr Slowly started talking to me as we went through some doors and usually if someone’s behind me I can’t hear what they’re saying, maybe a muffled noise but no actual words. I hadn’t realised I heard all of it when I replied and he said you just heard what I said even though you couldn’t see my face. 

He then suggested I connected them to my phone and put some music on. I love music. Going deaf and not being able to hear music has been most painful so I was reluctant to spoil such a win by highlighting a loss. 
Curiosity got the better of me and I played a tune with a prolonged percussion section that contains cymbals, hi-hat cowbells etc all mixed in. I haven’t heard a cymbal for about 10 years but I could hear it all.
Every instrument was distinct, the clarity is fantastic, I cried for so long my head started to hurt. 

I can’t believe it. I know it’s temporary and eventually I’ll get deafer but right now I feel so happy I could cry. Oh look at that I am 😂

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Mr Slowly started talking to me as we went through some doors and usually if someone’s behind me I can’t hear what they’re saying, maybe a muffled noise but no actual words. I hadn’t realised I heard all of it when I replied and he said you just heard what I said even though you couldn’t see my face. 

He then suggested I connected them to my phone and put some music on. I love music. Going deaf and not being able to hear music has been most painful so I was reluctant to spoil such a win by highlighting a loss. 
Curiosity got the better of me and I played a tune with a prolonged percussion section that contains cymbals, hi-hat cowbells etc all mixed in. I haven’t heard a cymbal for about 10 years but I could hear it all.
Every instrument was distinct, the clarity is fantastic, I cried for so long my head started to hurt. 

I can’t believe it. I know it’s temporary and eventually I’ll get deafer but right now I feel so happy I could cry. Oh look at that I am 😂

Congratulations, very happy for you!

The husband must remember you can now hear what he says, though…

• Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Fantastic!

You'll be able to hear my Welsh accent now! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Brilliant news congratulations 👍

• Like 2

Good news yesterday the Mrs's X3 passed its MoT.  I also had it serviced at the same time and a small oil leak looked at.    The oil leak was a knackered crush washer on the sump plug so that was a cheap fix, so aside from one tyre it is ready for another year.  Bill was £247 which I was chuffed to bits with really.   I have a sort of love hate relationship with that car, it is a great safe family wagon that has never let us down but has also been a money pit over the years.  It was one of the dodgy cam chain models so as you can imagine that was no cheap fix.  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That’s good, must be a great feeling to hear music properly again. Maybe you won’t be such a moody cow now.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Good news yesterday the Mrs's X3 passed its MoT.  I also had it serviced at the same time and a small oil leak looked at.    The oil leak was a knackered crush washer on the sump plug so that was a cheap fix, so aside from one tyre it is ready for another year.  Bill was £247 which I was chuffed to bits with really.   I have a sort of love hate relationship with that car, it is a great safe family wagon that has never let us down but has also been a money pit over the years.  It was one of the dodgy cam chain models so as you can imagine that was no cheap fix.  

You’ve got to wonder how a sump washer goes dodgy though @Saul , ham fisted mechanic ?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That's great news 👍 

Music 🤔 I have not listened to it for the last couple of years, no point really...

I hope your hearing remains about the same and you can continue to hear as much as you can now for the foreseeable future. 👍

• Like 4

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

You’ve got to wonder how a sump washer goes dodgy though @Saul , ham fisted mechanic ?

I think it was the garage that last serviced it not using a new one.  I stopped going there for other reasons but it wouldn't surprise me if they cut corners.  

• Like 3