Result!

Tango

5 hours ago, Clive said:

That's great news 👍 

Music 🤔 I have not listened to it for the last couple of years, no point really...

I hope your hearing remains about the same and you can continue to hear as much as you can now for the foreseeable future. 👍

Thanks Clive I haven't quite got my head around it yet. I'm having a laugh relearning some sounds. This morning I turned the tap on and opened the glass cupboard at the same time. The water falling into the sink which I haven't heard for 14+ years sounded like a crashing noise, I jumped backwards because I thought the glasses must be falling out of the cupboard and smashing 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 12/01/2023 at 18:20, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

This feels more like a miracle than a result.

I have new hearing aids and I can fucking hear!!!!!

Mr Slowly started talking to me as we went through some doors and usually if someone’s behind me I can’t hear what they’re saying, maybe a muffled noise but no actual words. I hadn’t realised I heard all of it when I replied and he said you just heard what I said even though you couldn’t see my face. 

He then suggested I connected them to my phone and put some music on. I love music. Going deaf and not being able to hear music has been most painful so I was reluctant to spoil such a win by highlighting a loss. 
Curiosity got the better of me and I played a tune with a prolonged percussion section that contains cymbals, hi-hat cowbells etc all mixed in. I haven’t heard a cymbal for about 10 years but I could hear it all.
Every instrument was distinct, the clarity is fantastic, I cried for so long my head started to hurt. 

I can’t believe it. I know it’s temporary and eventually I’ll get deafer but right now I feel so happy I could cry. Oh look at that I am 😂

I can only imagine how you feel that's great news. videos like this always gets me so i imagine you were something like this

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I can only imagine how you feel that's great news. videos like this always gets me so i imagine you were something like this

Ah ya bastid, I thought I was done crying cos I’m not a cryer! 

Yep all of that. Can’t describe it. It’s insane. 

• Like 3

Mr Slowly told me I looked like vid of a baby hearing noise for the first time and I did exactly the same jaw drop n disbelief as all of those people. 

You can’t quite comprehend what you’re hearing, there’s a noise and you have to attach it to what the rest of your brain knows/understands. Feels totally crazy. 

So nice. 

• Like 4

Now that I can hear next to nothing I rely on my wife to tell me if there are any strange noises emanating from the car (obviously she can't do the same with the scoot) and if it's about to go pop or bang... 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Clive said:

Now that I can hear next to nothing I rely on my wife to tell me if there are any strange noises emanating from the car (obviously she can't do the same with the scoot) and if it's about to go pop or bang... 😂 

Next step it to get her to do the repairs if it does. 😂 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Clive said:

I so wish I could give this update thing to you Clive. 
I just think we may have been born 20-30 years too early for the implant tech that’s to come. 

It’s a silent invisible loss with huge consequences that normies don’t understand but maybe remember other folk around you are lucky in so many other ways ie to have you around so yer u win some you lose some. IMO if you can ride a two wheeler you’ve won 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I worry more on the scoot.....I can just hear the engine, but with my lack of and distorted hearing it sounds nothing like a engine....it is hard to describe the sound I hear.......so if it was getting ready to go bang I would not know. 😂 

I do know a guy who was passed for a cochlear implant and had one fitted, he was very disappointed with the results, he said everyone sounds like Minions. 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

but maybe remember other folk around you are lucky in so many other ways ie to have you around so yer u won some you lose some. 

I have removed all of our sharp knives from our kitchen drawers,  just in case. 😂 

angry search GIF by LINDSEY L33

She does loose her temper with me being deaf at times......er most of the time actually.  😂 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Clive said:

I worry more on the scoot.....I can just hear the engine, but with my lack of and distorted hearing it sounds nothing like a engine....it is hard to describe the sound I hear.......so if it was getting ready to go bang I would not know. 😂 

I do know a guy who was passed for a cochlear implant and had one fitted, he was very disappointed with the results, he said everyone sounds like Minions. 😂 

I ride like a totally deaf person. I assume I’ll hear nothing. I was horrified by the number of times I’ve missed blue lights behind me and realised I can’t hear their loud sirens. 

But  imo a good rider is worth ten twats. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Clive said:

I have removed all of our sharp knives from our kitchen drawers,  just in case. 😂 

angry search GIF by LINDSEY L33

She does loose her temper with me being deaf at times......er most of the time actually.  😂 

Well it’s frustrating for the unaware isn’t it… 

although not arf as frustrating as it is for us deafy’s, we got to deal with wots in front of us..

and sometimes an empathy lacking wonder. 

Not saying I’ve been there but…. 

😂😂😬

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I ride like a totally deaf person. I assume I’ll hear nothing. I was horrified by the number of times I’ve missed blue lights behind me and realised I can’t hear their loud sirens. 

But  imo a good rider is worth ten twats. 

Emergency vehicles 🤔 nope can't hear them at all........

But I do take more care at junctions and use my eyes and mirrors much more when driving/riding about.

Good rider 🤔 nope I am competent...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clive said:

Emergency vehicles 🤔 nope can't hear them at all........

But I do take more care at junctions and use my eyes and mirrors much more when driving/riding about.

Good rider 🤔 nope I am competent...

You’re past competent if you can do that stuff.  
You know that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You’re past competent if you can do that stuff.  
You know that. 

Think being a lorry driver helped.....only had outside mirrors to see behind, and always checking for vehicles hiding just outside the mirrors blind spots, or some cyclist with a death wish riding up the inside of the lorry........spent more time looking out for other drivers and having to drive accordingly. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Thanks Clive I haven't quite got my head around it yet. I'm having a laugh relearning some sounds. This morning I turned the tap on and opened the glass cupboard at the same time. The water falling into the sink which I haven't heard for 14+ years sounded like a crashing noise, I jumped backwards because I thought the glasses must be falling out of the cupboard and smashing 😂

Great to know you're back in the land of the hearing again, hopefully it stays that way

• Like 2

1 minute ago, busabeast said:

Great to know you're back in the land of the hearing again, hopefully it stays that way

Thanks Rich. It’s pretty overwhelming after all this time but everyone around me is so very happy about it too it’s like a lottery win. 

Had a good one this morning stopped at a pedestrian crossing and the van started beeping a kind of loudish emergency type beep, I was in the middle of freaking out out looking for warnings on the dash when I remembered pedestrian crossings beep, the sound was coming from outside 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Thanks Rich. It’s pretty overwhelming after all this time but everyone around me is so very happy about it too it’s like a lottery win. 

Had a good one this morning stopped at a pedestrian crossing and the van started beeping a kind of loudish emergency type beep, I was in the middle of freaking out out looking for warnings on the dash when I remembered pedestrian crossings beep, the sound was coming from outside 😆

All the things you forget when you can no longer hear must be vast and it seems like it is taking some getting used to hearing again. 

I don't know if I'd cope if I was deaf it seems to me a very lonely existence 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, busabeast said:

All the things you forget when you can no longer hear must be vast and it seems like it is taking some getting used to hearing again. 

It is lonely,  and getting more so for me....my wife and daughter are very good, look straight at me and talk clearly, it does help being in a quiet environment (no TV or radio blasting away) but most people seem to mumble nowdays...daughter in law is the worst...

As I said to another member, one thing I really miss is music. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Clive said:

It is lonely,  and getting more so for me....my wife and daughter are very good, look straight at me and talk clearly, it does help being in a quiet environment (no TV or radio blasting away) but most people seem to mumble nowdays...daughter in law is the worst...

Surely you can live without Bronksi beat

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, busabeast said:

TLDR I’m jolly pleased with things.

I’ve never enjoyed being sociable so that side of things really wasn’t missed initially but then you discover so many things you’re locked out of, it’s like watching life from behind a glass partition so you withdraw from normal activities. It’s one of the reasons they think deaf people are so much more likely to suffer from dementia, they become isolated and lose touch with reality but like Clive I’m lucky to have a good family. 

Humour is the thing I miss most, someone cracking a joke and someone else snapping back a witty retort, even if you can see their faces by the time you’ve pieced together the clues of what’s being said the moment is long gone and you’re standing there with a neutral expression while everyone else is laughing, you really do feel like a spare part. 
It’s a particularly painful loss as I used to be known for being good at a sharp comeback. 
Fortunately my family speak clearly and all have very deep loud voices that I’m well tuned into so I still get the banter at the table. 

I spent most of yesterday in a state of shock, I went to my upholstery course and even though it’s a bastid noisy environment I could hear the tutor (just) and to have a comeback for her “no-one likes a smart arse” comment felt like gold. Before I wouldn’t have heard what was being said let alone been able to lob one back. 

Serious hearing loss leaves you locked in but working in an eye hospital and treating patients who were profoundly deaf and also losing their vision has always made me grateful it’s only my hearing and not my eyesight too. 

I have another appointment coming up as there is more tech available that could potentially boost my hearing even further. I’d like to say it feels like Christmas but it’s way beyond that. I’m very excited by all the things I might be able to do again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Clive said:

That's one thing I couldn't do without, so I'll hope I don't go too deaf

• Like 2