Result!

Tango

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If your family aren’t deaf and you wear good ear defenders/plugs in noisy environments you’ll be dandy. 

I hardly ever wear hearing protection, I suffer with tinnitus quite alot though it tends to come in waves I can go days without it then one day its every few hours, don't think there's anyone who was deaf in my family history 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, busabeast said:

I hardly ever wear hearing protection, I suffer with tinnitus quite alot though it tends to come in waves I can go days without it then one day its every few hours, don't think there's anyone who was deaf in my family history 

Nobody in my family had deafness....i am the 1st.....tinnitus, right ear is absolutely silent, left ear sound like the sound you hear on a airplane when it's flying....a constant hum, had it for so long that I have learnt to ignore it, it's worse at night, so loud it is deafening. 😂 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

23 minutes ago, busabeast said:

Well motorcycling is well known for causing tinnitus and deafness so maybe consider getting some good plugs.
Slow hearing loss is one of those things that by the time you realise what’s happened it’s too late and there’s no reversing it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, busabeast said:

I don't know if I'd cope if I was deaf it seems to me a very lonely existence 

Oh I don't know, you wouldn't be able to hear all the chat-up lines the opposition were throwing at you in the scrum so there is that 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Ah ya bastid, I thought I was done crying cos I’m not a cryer! 

Yep all of that. Can’t describe it. It’s insane. 

I've had a thought maybe a stupid thought but if its someones first time hearing how do they understand what someone else is saying if they have never heard words before 🤔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Oh I don't know, you wouldn't be able to hear all the chat-up lines the opposition were throwing at you in the scrum so there is that 😉

Yeah there is that but you wouldn't be able to hear the ref either which could pose a small issue...

In other news

Why the fuck do I keep playing? Right now I could easily pass for a paraplegic I can hardly move any of my limbs and I hurt in places I never knew I had

• Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I've had a thought maybe a stupid thought but if its someones first time hearing how do they understand what someone else is saying if they have never heard words before 🤔

Exactly. If someone has never heard anything from birth they don’t develop that sensory part of the brain so they won’t suddenly be able to hear later if technology/medicine can restore it. They would have to learn it from new like a baby, connecting sounds to objects, actions and spoken words which takes forever and is why childrens speech is so far away from adult level for so long and the reason why cochlear implants often fail because the plasticity of the brain isn’t good.

If a deaf baby is given hearing aids whilst their brain is in super growth mode the stimulation will develop the hearing centres and provide a library of sounds they do understand (maybe albeit in a muffled way) and a base for any improvement to connect to. The people in the vid all must of had some degree of hearing at some point to be able to join up the muffled crap to the new louder sharper sound.

Thats the shock, that’s what produces the long long pause while you go “is that.. urr that sound? Oh my god it is” then it hits you hard that this new sharp clearer sound is what its supposed to sound like and you connect it up with the dull nearly nonexistent noise you heard before. I’ve spent a lot of the last two days agog.

On a lighter note since Thursday afternoon I’ve periodically heard this really odd sound, not a nice sound, almost like a machine its quite methodical and has the occasional slap/snap sound in there. Every time I look for it it stops.

Found it today. 

My dog is having a right royal time ‘cleaning’ herself. Now thats one sound I can live without 😆

• Haha 8

• 2 weeks later...

Fowlers rang yesterday, said they'd heard from BSA and are expecting delivery on the 1st/2nd Feb. Said it may well take a couple of weeks from that point to prepare the bike (what do they do exactly?) but he'd ring as soon as it arrives so I can go have a looksy 👍 👏

• Like 4

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Said it may well take a couple of weeks from that point to prepare the bike (what do they do exactly?)

They need to mentally prepare for possible complaints 

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yer I've seen the demo bike at Fowlups, nice looking apart from the cheap stickers they used. 

Unstick those stickers and have someone pinstripe it. It’ll look proper on that bike.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

Unstick those stickers and have someone pinstripe it. It’ll look proper on that bike.

The red one has a decent amount of pin striping on it.

The stickers won't be staying. They'll be working away on a catalogue of parts for sure, better covers will be round the corner. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The red one has a decent amount of pin striping on it.

The stickers won't be staying. They'll be working away on a catalogue of parts for sure, better covers will be round the corner. 

It will be a £10k bike by the time you have accessorised it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

It will be a £10k bike by the time you have accessorised it.

Probably but I’ve never been into accessories for the sake of pretty, only ever stuff that makes travelling by bike easier, but I can see myself easily rolling down that path with this bike.

If it ever arrives and works that is. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Probably but I’ve never been into accessories for the sake of pretty, only ever stuff that makes travelling by bike easier, but I can see myself easily rolling down that path with this bike.

If it ever arrives and works that is. 

Hand drawn pinstripes by one of the many hotrod guys you have there. It’s what will make yours distinct to others, and british.

• Like 2

Just now, Pedro said:

Hand drawn pinstripes by one of the many hotrod guys you have there. It’s what will make yours distinct to others, and british.

Have a look at it and tell me where you think it would work?

https://www.bsacompany.co.uk/bsa-gold-star/

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yer I've seen the demo bike at Fowlups, nice looking apart from the cheap stickers they used. 

I spoke to a guy who rode it and he said it felt a bit low on HP at the top end but it had excellent torque even though it had less than 200 miles on it, it’s possible that the HP situation will be a bit better after break in.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I spoke to a guy who rode it and he said it felt a bit low on HP at the top end but it had excellent torque even though it had less than 200 miles on it, it’s possible that the HP situation will be a bit better after break in.

That’s good to hear. The Fowlups salesman who’s running it in said he’s surprised what a nice ride it is, much better than it should be, he seemed quite taken with it. Said it’s much closer in feel to a Triumph than a RE. We shall see.

I’m not buying it for speed though (already have a lose your licence twice over in the Harley) hoping this ones going to be a slightly more relaxed affair. 

• Like 2