Your Day Today!

XTreme

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

Wrestling that’s even more of a farce than BOTM

You never saw ECW in the 90's then?

Wrestling for Psychos performing for an audience of drunken thugs!

This is worlds' removed from Big Daddy UK Wrestling!

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

You never saw ECW in the 90's then?

Wrestling for Psychos performing for an audience of drunken thugs!

This is worlds' removed from Big Daddy UK Wrestling!

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

no its not they are just more athletic and more choreography involved...

do you put your blue rinse wig on and scream and shout at the tv while hitting it with your hand bag when watching it.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Six30 said:

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

no its not they are just more athletic and more choreography involved...

do you put your blue rinse wig on and scream and shout at the tv while hitting it with your hand bag when watching it.

Just because it's choreographed sports entertainment doesn't mean that falling 30ft onto a table covered with barbed wire doesn't fucking hurt!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Just because it's choreographed sports entertainment doesn't mean that falling 30ft onto a table covered with barbed wire doesn't fucking hurt!

that reminds me .. put that video up of you climbing the haystackΒ 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I watched Bobby Barnes v Les Kellett on youTube last night , very funny , good entertainment.

From that era I used to like Marty Jones, Mark Rocco, and Dynamite Kid.

Marty Jones is the only still alive at 78 and he's a wrestling trainer......with a few of his students having gone on to WWE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Marty Jones is the only still alive at 78 and he's a wrestling trainer......with a few of his students having gone on to WWE.

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

6 hours ago, XTreme said:

Giant haystacks big daddy and CatweazleΒ were some of the names i remember from watching wrestling as a teenager.

• Like 2

The old women in the crowd used to go apeshit! They never sussed that it was all part of the show.

Mick McManus and Steve Logan were great baddies!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Giant haystacks big daddy and CatweazleΒ were some of the names i remember from watching wrestling as a teenager.

i used to go and watch them at preston guild hall many years ago

• Like 1

14 hours ago, XTreme said:

The old women in the crowd used to go apeshit! They never sussed that it was all part of the show.

Mick McManus and Steve Logan were great baddies!

4PM sat afternoon, Dad and Nan stuck in front of the tele.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Adrian Street talking about Savile! Apparently Savile never wrestled again after that match!Β :classic_laugh:

As Saville wasn’t a baddie at the time and it was clearly for entertainment purposes beating the shit out of him when there was a prior agreement makes him a bit of an ahole doesn’t it?

20 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

As Saville wasn’t a baddie at the time and it was clearly for entertainment purposes beating the shit out of him when there was a prior agreement makes him a bit of an ahole doesn’t it?

No! Saville was always creepy even before the truth surfaced!

Plus, Adrian Street maintained it was making a mockery out of the business and making legit hard man wrestlers like him look pathetic.

He was willing to put other legit wrestlers over (let them win) but not a fucking idiot like Savile.

I've seen the full interview and apparently Savile thought he was a real tough guy and needed bringing down a peg or two.

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

No! Saville was always creepy even before the truth surfaced!

Plus, Adrian Street maintained it was making a mockery out of the business and making legit hard man wrestlers like him look pathetic.

He was willing to put other legit wrestlers over (let them win) but not a fucking idiot like Savile.

I've seen the full interview and apparently Savile thought he was a real tough guy and needed bringing down a peg or two.

Well I agree he was very creepy before the truth emerged but it wasn’t widely known at the time, he didn’t know and I prefer it if folk do what they say they’re going to, particularly if theres a contract (verbal or otherwise), anything else is dishonest.Β 

The fact it was fixed and not real makes it even more farcical, they were entertainers, Saville was also an entertainer.Β 

Would I like to see Saville get a pasting.. what’s the channel number? πŸ˜†

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

he fact it was fixed and not real makes it even more farcical, they were entertainers, Saville was also an entertainer.Β 

That's the thing people don't understand about the wrestling business......yes, they are entertainers, but some of them (a very small amount) are legit tough guys. They train hard for years to put on a show for people, so why should Savile just walk in and take over?

You've obviously heard of Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, John Cena etc (all in films).......they are all athletes, bodybuilders with great physiques, marketable, who can wrestle a bit, and act a bit. And obviously capable of taking a bump or two.

Then there's the real tough guys......who nobody should fuck with.Β And then there's Haku/Meng/King Tonga (who's the The Rock's uncle) who not even the real tough guys would dare fuck with. Back in the 80's he was the tag team partner of Andre the Giant, and even Andre was terrified of him.

When he was in WCW they didn't really have any particular role for him to fill for many years, but they kept him on regardless because the Management were too scared to terminate his contract.Β :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, XTreme said:

That's the thing people don't understand about the wrestling business......yes, they are entertainers, but some of them (a very small amount) are legit tough guys. They train hard for years to put on a show for people, so why should Savile just walk in and take over?

Oh I do understand.Β 
There are plenty of legit tough guys in rugby so I’m well versed with men who like controlled violence to mask their desire to bash people.Β 
Β 

But that sort of wrestling which I used to watch and enjoy is neither violence nor sport. Yes they are ridiculously fit and some are seriously tough but they choose vanity and money over the many recognised sports.

From cage fighting to Olympic level wrestling there are so many choices that aren’t about putting on a show.
No matter how hard they train or how tough they are they chose to be entertainers and take part in a parade. That’s fine, why not? But I’m not going to hold them in the same regard as sportsmen when everything is fixed and agreements are made for the sake of entertainment to then be broken because one entertainer doesn’t think another is worthy.Β 
Β 

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

No matter how hard they train or how tough they are they chose to be entertainers and take part in a parade. That’s fine, why not? But I’m not going to hold them in the same regard as sportsmen when everything is fixed and agreements are made for the sake of entertainment to then be broken because one entertainer doesn’t think another is worthy.Β 

You don't think fixes go in on legit sporting events?

But ultimately it's all about money!Β Who is the World Amateur Wrestling Champion......and what's his net worth? I've got no idea myself!

Now look at The Rock.......net worth $800+ million!

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You don't think fixes go in on legit sporting events?

But ultimately it's all about money!Β Who is the World Amateur Wrestling Champion......and what's his net worth? I've got no idea myself!

Now look at The Rock.......net worth $800+ million!

Of course it does but it is illegal and most sportsmen in common with those wrestlers are incredibly driven (they have to be to get where they are) but competition and winning is so important taking a dive for money is the end of them.Β 
Β 

You are just remaking my point which is they choose money over legitimate sports and if that’s what they want that’s ok but don’t expect me to respect someone who reneges on a money making deal! Β 

22 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

but don’t expect me to respect someone who reneges on a money making deal! Β 

There was no deal in place! Street wouldn't agree to it.

The Promoter wanted Street to put Saville over so he could keep booking him as he was a big attraction.

Street refused because it belittled legit wrestlers and also diminished his net worth as a wrestler within the industry.

The match went ahead despite no arrangement being in place and consequently Savile got a beat down.

9 minutes ago, XTreme said:

There was no deal in place! Street wouldn't agree to it.

The Promoter wanted Street to put Saville over so he could keep booking him as he was a big attraction.

Street refused because it belittled legit wrestlers and also diminished his net worth as a wrestler within the industry.

The match went ahead despite no arrangement being in place and consequently Savile got a beat down.

Fair enough if Saville got in the ring with a thug and no agreement in place he was asking for it.Β 

The rest of it is still only about money. They are entertainers, extremely fit athletic entertainers but that's all they are.Β