What's Gripping Your Shit at the Moment?

Tango

12 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

The maximum height of a vehicle that will pass under this bridge is 14'9'' BUT only between the two arrows.

Correct young Bob and even younger Buckster, top of the class.

The very expensive traffic engineering experts were all set to put a cycle track and island on one side of a similar arched bridge pushing all vehicles to the right hand side of the road under the part of the arch that doesn't have that clearance. It's funny till you get Railtrack knocking on your door because a bus from the depot 200 yards up the road has damaged their bridge, or from TFL because their double decker has been turned into a convertible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I have a photograph somewhere of the same company's warning signs about a height restriction on a diversion route. They had drawn the arrows on the sign as a width restriction so all vehicles wider than 14 foot 9 inches were barred from going that way. I took a picture of a lorry and squashed the y axis so it was super wide like a Hummer on a high fat diet and sent that with the photo of the sign to the bloke paying their invoices.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, XTreme said:

Maybe he couldn't understand your Cockney wideboy slang Ray? :classic_laugh:

It’s the Queens English, every foreigner should understand it. I mean, you do Pete. 😝

• Haha 3

I have a few tales about arched bridges.  When I worked for Lex Wilkinson/Federal Express we had one just like that down the road from the depot except it was 12' 9'' as I remember.  So to pass under it you had to use the middle of the road, just at the far end of it (it was a double bridge) was a side-turning, so people used to come out of the side turning and drive straight under the bridge (in a hurry) while you were in the middle of the road.

The number of 'incidents' (we'd call it road rage now) it caused was unreal as the arseholes in their cars couldn't work out while you were in the middle of the road and used to sit there demanding that you move over 🙄

We also had more that one agency driver who clouted the bridge :classic_laugh:

There are traffic lights on the junction now , probably where it's been hit so much.

image.png.224e9923249778754980dc2b1a7cf161.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, skyrider said:

we have had drizzly rain here all day and now the wind is getting up, getting colder for the weekend they said on the weather forecast 😒

Been nice here today, up to 15c......had a ride to my buddies gym, gave his exercise equipment a miss....trying to make the most of any decent weather 👍

• Like 3

11 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I have a few tales about arched bridges.  When I worked for Lex Wilkinson/Federal Express we had one just like that down the road from the depot except it was 12' 9'' as I remember.  So to pass under it you had to use the middle of the road, just at the far end of it (it was a double bridge) was a side-turning, so people used to come out of the side turning and drive straight under the bridge (in a hurry) while you were in the middle of the road.

The number of 'incidents' (we'd call it road rage now) it caused was unreal as the arseholes in their cars couldn't work out while you were in the middle of the road and used to sit there demanding that you move over 🙄

We also had more that one agency driver who clouted the bridge :classic_laugh:

There are traffic lights on the junction now , probably where it's been hit so much.

image.png.224e9923249778754980dc2b1a7cf161.png

Double decker won’t go under there.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Buckster said:

Double decker won’t go under there.

During the Olympics many buses were on diversion. One driver who hadn't paid attention managed to take his double decker through the Blackwall Tunnel by mistake. His passengers all gave him the advice to find somewhere to turn around and go back to the north side of the Thames. Luckily he was not that silly, the southbound tunnel is newer (1969)  than the Edwardian northbound tunnel and will take a double decker, the north bound won't. I reckon he had to head to Tower Bridge or Dartford to get back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

I'm going to need a van at this rate!

It’s only a bit of liquid sunshine, get yer waterproofs on and take an extra strong man-up pill…………..and if it’s not too cold once you’re out perhaps you can let me know in case I fancy a spin out? 🤣🤣

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Skippy said:

It’s only a bit of liquid sunshine, get yer waterproofs on and take an extra strong man-up pill…………..and if it’s not too cold once you’re out perhaps you can let me know in case I fancy a spin out? 🤣🤣

The Office I Give Up GIF

• Haha 4

Ordered a washing machine from a local store online for delivery. Estimated delivery date came and went with no word from them, so Mandy phoned them up. It's now out of stock! Not sure if they were going to let us know?

Anyway, Mandy said we'll just cancel the order and we'll get one from somewhere else. Apparently we have to send an email to cancel the order, which I've done.................silence! Mandy is going to call them again today to find out what's going on!

Fortunately I paid with PayPal,  so I can open a dispute if necessary! 

Most other places that we've ordered stuff from have been great, but this shower are useless. Won't be using them again!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, yen_powell said:

During the Olympics many buses were on diversion. One driver who hadn't paid attention managed to take his double decker through the Blackwall Tunnel by mistake. His passengers all gave him the advice to find somewhere to turn around and go back to the north side of the Thames. Luckily he was not that silly, the southbound tunnel is newer (1969)  than the Edwardian northbound tunnel and will take a double decker, the north bound won't. I reckon he had to head to Tower Bridge or Dartford to get back.

We have a few interesting bridges, there is one that is often used as an off route trip for single deckers, they tried to send me that way once when I was covering a single deck route with a double decker, I just ignored them and went a different way. We have one route where two very different designed bridges are joined together and you would swear you can’t get a decker under but it will in the middle of the road, bit of an optical illusion. We also have a regular one that is 4 inches taller than a decker, for some reason trucks get stuck under it at least twice a year, I think they see us go under it and decide to ignore that they may be a few inches taller.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Tango said:

Ordered a washing machine from a local store online for delivery. Estimated delivery date came and went with no word from them, so Mandy phoned them up. It's now out of stock! Not sure if they were going to let us know?

Anyway, Mandy said we'll just cancel the order and we'll get one from somewhere else. Apparently we have to send an email to cancel the order, which I've done.................silence! Mandy is going to call them again today to find out what's going on!

Fortunately I paid with PayPal,  so I can open a dispute if necessary! 

Most other places that we've ordered stuff from have been great, but this shower are useless. Won't be using them again!

French arm of Curry,s?. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

We have a few interesting bridges, there is one that is often used as an off route trip for single deckers, they tried to send me that way once when I was covering a single deck route with a double decker, I just ignored them and went a different way. We have one route where two very different designed bridges are joined together and you would swear you can’t get a decker under but it will in the middle of the road, bit of an optical illusion. We also have a regular one that is 4 inches taller than a decker, for some reason trucks get stuck under it at least twice a year, I think they see us go under it and decide to ignore that they may be a few inches taller.

yeh ok Reg

image.png.434743d37275046a885d3349629d0d8d.png

• Haha 1