2023 - That was the year that was!

XTreme

OK.....time to tell us how good, or bad, 2023 was for you. In my case it was one of the worst of all time.

I went into it suffering from Long Covid, and then came the most severe case of flu I've ever known. That went on for about two months, with multiple doses of antibiotics for secondary infections. The resulting cough was so strong that it caused the fucking Hernia.

Then the grandkids left the town in early May. It was sad to see them go, but that was offset somewhat by the jubilation of seeing Fatty fuck off! Everybody who ever had any contact with her in the town thought she was really fucking weird!

I then spent the rest of the year having to carry the Hernia as best I could. Getting on and off the bike was difficult, any bump or movement when riding was unpleasant, and when I could get off it any standing or walking gave me a lot of grief. Ended up only doing about 2500kms / 1500 miles in the entire year.

December 5th I had the op.......meaning I couldn't ride over Xmas and New Year. At the moment I'd estimate mid to late January before I can get back out! Though knowing my luck the weather will be hell by then and put the kybosh on it.

Livin' the fucking dream I am!

Anyway.......tell us about your 2023?

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Remember what I was doing in January/February?  🤔 I can't remember what I was doing last week.........been to Mablethorpe twice this year though. 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have been watching my parents get worse and worse, my mum with a mix of depression and loss of memory which worries me, and my dad although very driven is getting weaker with every month from ELA, he also disregards my wishes for the future and seems to create something else for me to worry with every year that passes. On that front, I am not optimistic for the future to say the least.

I had a good trip out, to the UK with Sofia, which had its up and downs but overall ended on a high note and I'm glad I went. Had the chance to go on another trip to Morocco but ended up not bothering with it, a few work things had me fretting about impeding things that would ruin said trip but ended up not materializing, also just overall mental health wasn't where it should be. I ended up spending some time at my place and now the last weeks with Sofia, and all is good except I'm dreading getting back to reality and dealing with sad issues regarding the folks.

Work was a mix of a market going downwards which put some pressure on me, sales average to low, it was ok but am now feeling like 2024 isn't going to be an average year if it starts like 2023 is ending. It seems like I'm also thinking of impending doom that will force me to look for an alternative.

It's not been the dark year the previous paragraphs make it sound like, in fact 2023 felt like 3 years with one big trip and a few small ones around Portugal. Am trying to end the year feeling happy and looking forward to things.

• Like 7

For me this year has gone there was more good things than bad and i cant do nothing about anything in the past so looking forward to next year with hopefully more biking, camping and living the way i want, there are things that could fuck up for me but not even worth thinking about unless they happen so just going to look ahead at what i might do instead of looking behind at things i should have done bring on 2024 

• Like 6

My 2023 hasn't been too bad few work ups and downs but I feel that I've found a good place to work now and that I'll finally stay put more than 5 minutes. 

2024 looks to be on the whole good what with the boy coming along in April so hoping that will calm skye down somewhat as she will have a brother to look after. 

Financial wise im looking at 2024 being the year I get everything back in order and my loan paid off and 2025 im hoping will be the year that we buy our own place 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, busabeast said:

My 2023 hasn't been too bad few work ups and downs but I feel that I've found a good place to work now and that I'll finally stay put more than 5 minutes. 

2024 looks to be on the whole good what with the boy coming along in April so hoping that will calm akye down somewhat as she will have a brother to look after. 

Financial wise im looking at 2024 being the year I get everything back in order and my loan paid off and 2025 im hoping will be the year that we buy our own place 

And sort your cock out so it starts firing blanks.... two dustbin lids is enough.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

How many kids you got? Or is that a secret as well?

told you , once....  i sold him to some Africans cause he was heavily retarded and i didn't want him round me.

• Haha 4

2023 hasn't give me a lot of things to remember, good or bad.
I was able to ride my bike around 5000km (3k miles), all in small trips, mostly commute, which was nice.
Workwise, I started the year with a new colleague, who is going to be fired next month. So history will repeat itself on that side.

On my personal life, nothing much happened.
I was able to avoid Covid for another year.
And I went to NYC to visit a couple of friends and walked around the city for a week (78 miles on foot).

• Like 8

The biggest thing for me in 2023 was that my son reached the age of 30 years, which considering his traumatic start to life was pretty amazing,.  We had a great trip to Italy to celebrate with him which he really enjoyed.  

I also managed to get to Italy again later in the year but this time on my bike , the last time I did the Stella Alpina rally was 13 years before that so it was great to go back and ride those iconic trails.

Health wise I had a decent year but I'm definitely getting older and I can't really see me riding big bikes anymore, the weight is definitely a factor and getting at least one foot on the floor confidently now is a bit of a must.

• Like 7

2023 has been a bit of a mixture really, on the bike front it was a fucking disaster with that DR600S but the Tracer 700 proved to be a decent bike but sadly didn’t stir the soul. Bought the FZ6N as a stop gap and it’s turned out to be a whole lot of fun for not much money.

My dad has slowly deteriorated this year and his demeanour is changeable. One minute he’s quite aware and with it, the next he’s vague. He gets angry very easily and some of the stuff he comes out with makes me cringe………I dread to think what would happen if he repeated it in public. I know he resents me moving to Spain and he feels like I’ve abandoned him………he does his best to make me feel guilty but I do my best to ignore it.

My missus has suffered badly from the menopause and that’s put a strain on our relationship but it’s ’for better or worse’ as they say.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

34 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I'm definitely getting older and I can't really see me riding big bikes anymore, the weight is definitely a factor

And it don't get any easier Bob. Every year it gets a little bit harder.

But at least we're facing up to reality......there's a lot that don't!

• Like 4

Aborted trip to Senegal was ok despite having only got as far as Marbella. Bloody heat waves! Loved Portugal and Galicia. A bit busy dahn saath though. 

Can’t remember much about the summer. Bike change in mid August. Overland Event near Oxford and meeting Ted Simon again there was great despite costing a small fortune in beer. 

Spent a few weeks caravaning in September, most of it hoping for aurora near John O Groats. Might do the same again in April. 

Got the start of shingles some time in November and only now beginning to get over it. 

Not the greatest year, but there have been worse. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

The biggest thing for me in 2023 was that my son reached the age of 30 years, which considering his traumatic start to life was pretty amazing,.  We had a great trip to Italy to celebrate with him which he really enjoyed.  

I also managed to get to Italy again later in the year but this time on my bike , the last time I did the Stella Alpina rally was 13 years before that so it was great to go back and ride those iconic trails.

Health wise I had a decent year but I'm definitely getting older and I can't really see me riding big bikes anymore, the weight is definitely a factor and getting my only foot on the floor confidently now is a bit of a must.

How that should have gone

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

I think you'll need a Lottery win for that!

You underestimate how little i need to be happy. It's the simplest things in life i appreciate now although i won't deny more money would help me out but only to help me retire earlier. I'm in a position in life where i find i don't really want anything more than what i have the only thing i desire is not to go to work everyday.

• Like 6