2023 - That was the year that was!

XTreme

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

You underestimate how little i need to be happy. It's the simplest things in life i appreciate now although i won't deny more money would help me out but only to help me retire earlier. I'm in a position in life where i find i don't really want anything more than what i have the only thing i desire is not to go to work everyday.

That's the place to get too Fred, it's definitely not all about the money .

• Like 5

10 hours ago, boboneleg said:

That's the place to get too Fred, it's definitely not all about the money .

The thing is, if you're down to a basic State pension then just making ends meet is a challenge.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

best not be on a basic state pension then 

Absolutely agree, but the trick is to work hard when your younger and fitter so you can relax more in your later years..  I think this is the point that Fred is trying to make ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

best not be on a basic state pension then 

I am on only on a basic pension + a small pit pension, wife does not get full state pension, fuck knows why......people have said "you should have saved more"...apart from a few years in the early 70,s I was never on good enough money to be able to put money aside for my old age....and to be honest, in my early 20,s I did not give the idea of retirement a 2nd thought, we are suffering (kind of) for it now, we live and eat (but don't heat) and pay our bills, but other activities (holidays abroad, trips to the coast, and other social events) are out of the question,  but we try to make the most of what we have, but like others, we would be happy with a bit more money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Absolutely agree, but the trick is to work hard when your younger and fitter so you can relax more in your later years..  I think this is the point that Fred is trying to make ?

Exactly Bob people who are already there have no choice and i have total sympathy for some of them. I'm talking about me and people younger than me, there is so much info out there about retirement now and how to prepare for it there's no excuse to not plan if your working. A typical example is most of the people i work with are half my age or younger and say they cant afford to put money away for the future but can afford a £50 a month phone contract,  when i suggest them having a £15 a month contract and put the rest away they dismiss it like i'm telling them to fuck their own daughter, well i have no sympathy for those. I started too late myself really but i won't be totally dependant on the state pension. Another thing we found when we checked on the wife's state pension is she hadn't paid enough to get the full amount when she retires and after looking into it if we pay just under £300 now she will get her full pension when she retires as well.

• Like 3

when i suggest them having a £15 a month contract and put the rest away they dismiss it like i'm telling them to fuck their own daughter

I totally agree with that and yet I reckon they will be worse off as regards to the state pension as some of them won't be eligible until their seventies the way it's going on :classic_wacko:

Another thing we found when we checked on the wife's state pension is she hadn't paid enough to get the full amount when she retires and after looking into it if we pay just under £300 now she will get her full pension when she retires as well.

I won't get a full state pension either as I finished full time work when I was 51 .  I'm not going to make voluntary contributions to top it up as it won't make a huge difference,

• Like 4

I forgot to add that my wife gets a pension from her days working at Woolworths........................... £10 per year!....she asked if she could take what she receives in one lump sum.....,they said no. 😂 

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

I totally agree with that and yet I reckon they will be worse off as regards to the state pension as some of them won't be eligible until their seventies the way it's going on :classic_wacko:

I won't get a full state pension either as I finished full time work when I was 51 .  I'm not going to make voluntary contributions to top it up as it won't make a huge difference,

One of the so called too skint to save lads in work is driving around in a £60,000 car i shit myself when i had a £3000 bike on finance around his age

The wife only has to pay a one off sum of around £290 to top up her pension so totally worth it, she will get it back in the first 3 months of claiming her pension providing she lives that long LOL

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

One of the so called too skint to save lads in work is driving around in a £60,000 car i shit myself when i had a £3000 bike on finance around his age

Fuckmine, can you imagine the repayments on that 

Sad John Cena GIF

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

Fuckmine, can you imagine the repayments on that 

Sad John Cena GIF

And insurance, i think his dad is subsidising him i know how much he gets paid and it's the going rate for an electrician which is good but not good enough for that as well as his house and bills, now i'm thinking about it i don't think he has much to worry about when he retires.

• Like 1

Not on the same scale as the £60,000 car, but i was taken aback when my daughter told me hers and her hubbies monthly phone bill was £85 each!...I will stick with my crap phone and £10 PAYG.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clive said:

Not on the same scale as the £60,000 car, but i was taken aback when my daughter told me hers and her hubbies monthly phone bill was £85 each!...I will stick with my crap phone and £10 PAYG.

Bonkers isn't it Clive, £10 a month on giff gaff for me .

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Bonkers isn't it Clive, £10 a month on giff gaff for me .

I am on EE, my £10 PAYG get me 250 minutes, which i never use 😂 Unlimited Texts, which I rarely use, and 1GB of Data each month, any unused Data rolls over , so I now have 11GB of Data that I can use.......Cheap as Chips. 😂 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clive said:

I am on EE, my £10 PAYG get me 250 minutes, which i never use 😂 Unlimited Texts, which I rarely use, and 1GB of Data each month, any unused Data rolls over , so I now have 11GB of Data that I can use.......Cheap as Chips. 😂 

I'm lucky with the phone I've owned one almost since they became available through work. I remember the first  one was like a suitcase with a handset attached to it lol but i have never bought one myself the only exception is i have bought a PAYG sim to put in one of the old works phones to go abroad, in case i lose the good one. The wife is on a PAYG as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

I pay £6.95 a month for unlimited calls and texts 100 international minutes and 15gb data.

Beats my Vodafone sim only. 10Gb with unlimited calls n texts for a tenner.
Now trying to get a good BB deal. We're with Virgin paying £31 pm for 250m, wanted to charge £64 when the contract ends. Phoned to cancel and got offered £32. 

I pay €40 a month for unlimited everything wherever I am in the world on Vodafone, and €60 a month for 600MB Fibre Optic, Telephone, and two other mobile lines with Excom who are my ISP.

Sure......I could save money by ditching Vodafone, but the coverage and reliability isn't as good on the other providers......plus the Taxman pays for it so why bother?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clive said:

I pay £24.99 and bar Internet its all unlimited 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Six30 said:

with a free hotline to Bender

You got it! Probably reporting back to him everyday on what you and me are up to!

Cos after all, they were onto you as soon as you put that reply in to Mawsley.......as if they'd been tipped off in advance.

heavy d thinking GIF

• Haha 2

Well 2o23 was a good year business wise...one of the busyess since we started operating in 1997...slowly starting to think about retirement but I do realize I won't be able to afford or sustain this lifestyle when I do...so some toys will have to be sold...one of my boys moved out the other one looks like he will remain a bachelor it looks like...I'm hoping one of them at least to have kids and be a grandfather eventually....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

You got it! Probably reporting back to him everyday on what you and me are up to!

Cos after all, they were onto you as soon as you put that reply in to Mawsley.......as if they'd been tipped off in advance.

heavy d thinking GIF

Then why did my cousin nigel who also has a busa get ousted from there rather rapidly if im on the inside?

• Haha 1