Storing your bike in winter

boboneleg

So this is something I've never done before as I've always ridden my bikes through winter, but with the Ducati there is no way I'm letting that out on salty roads.

I talked to my boss first and taking his advice I've filled the tank with race fuel (higher octane) and fuel stabilizer, covered all the metal parts with GT-85 (after washing and drying it) and then covered it up with sheets and a bike cover.  The one thing he told me NOT to do was start it up very so often and let it run (which I probably would have done ) as it attracts condensation.

This video more or less says the same things but what do you do, any other helpful tips ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

In Britain I always put mine on carpets!

FILE404.JPG.1f8f5a941d6b1d958f4bdb85f78cd6cf.JPG

Yes to carpets and a battery conditioner.
I too never normally bother with all that but it seems so much more unlikely they'll be emerging from the sheds over winter so I should consider some measures.
Mandis CBF and my tracer both need MOTs but it's a bit chilly out there so might let them expire and sort later.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Catteeclan said:

Yes to carpets and a battery conditioner.
I too never normally bother with all that but it seems so much more unlikely they'll be emerging from the sheds over winter so I should consider some measures.

I did use carpets for a while here......but there's no real point because it's rare that the bike doesn't go anywhere for more than 2 weeks.

• Like 2

Just now, XTreme said:

I did use carpets for a while here......but there's no real point because it's rare that the bike doesn't go anywhere for more than 2 weeks.

I knew a local builder who had some classic cars many moons ago. He'd cut squares of carpet to put under each tyre, he said to stop the contact with the cold concrete. Don't really understand why but it seems lots of people do it. Prob more important now with the modern less resistant compounds.

• Like 2

I generally just wash and dry it and put it up on stands with an optimate plugged in though I too used to ride through the winter too but I don't think I want to take the busa out in this kinda of weather its slippy enough in the car.

• Like 2

Every thread on any bike forum I read that has a bike that won't start always has the words, 'it's been plugged into an Optimate at all times' in it. I can't be the only person seeing a pattern emerging here.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Every thread on any bike forum I read that has a bike that won't start always has the words, 'it's been plugged into an Optimate at all times' in it. I can't be the only person seeing a pattern emerging here.

So what do you suggest?

I thought an optimate was the thing to use.

15 hours ago, busabeast said:

So what do you suggest?

I thought an optimate was the thing to use.

I just let the bike sit and if the bike didn't want to start come the day I would take the battery off and charge it normally like they did  back in the 20th century. I think it's drip feeding day in day out that kills them, but it's only a theory.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, yen_powell said:

I just let the bike sit and if the bike didn't want to start come the day I would take the battery off and charge it normally like they did  back in the 20th century. I think it's drip feeding day in day out that kills them, but it's only a theory.

I put the tender on for about 12 hours every couple of weeks. My bike gets used on good days over winter though. 

• Like 1

My battery is now in the (warm) spare room.......scoot would be in there too if I could be bothered to make a new ramp to get over the patio door sill and step.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Buckster said:

I put the tender on for about 12 hours every couple of weeks. My bike gets used on good days over winter though. 

So even your admitting its not a motorcycle.....but a steam train eh

Excited Yas GIF

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, YamaHead said:

You guys should try bump starting a bike in the winter....used to do that EVERYday with my 550 Seca

Electric starters are for pussies!😁

SnowDayX001.jpg

Can't bump my auto ......no kick-start either..... 😕 

• Like 1