Storing your bike in winter

boboneleg

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

Are you serious @skyrider  , that huge 223cc motor has got that much compression has it 

popcorn-blob.gif.db83d8e52e26aa271e3ef2e7b85db227.gif

Didn't you know they have a well renowned amount of compression so much so that it's surprising the casings can contain it all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/12/2022 at 13:31, yen_powell said:

I just let the bike sit and if the bike didn't want to start come the day I would take the battery off and charge it normally like they did  back in the 20th century. I think it's drip feeding day in day out that kills them, but it's only a theory.

Trouble is leaving a battery go flat for extended periods of time is no good for it either, I have an intelligent battery tender that shuts off when its not needed so is not continuously charging and i swap that between 4 bikes so its never on the same bike for months on end one of the best things to do is take the battery off and keep it somewhere warm. My garage is heated and i'm still on the original battery on the CRF bought in March 2016.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

As it's cold have you got the choke on and using second gear rather than first?

no at the time of bumping i had already done about thirty miles and tried bumping in about third gear and it didnt even try to start so i hit the button and away i went

Just now, skyrider said:

no at the time of bumping i had already done about thirty miles and tried bumping in about third gear 

So it was already a warmed up engine, weird, you would think it would love bump starting, it's being contrary, it needs a good kicking with heavy boots on or a Basiling with a large tree branch.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

So it was already a warmed up engine, weird, you would think it would love bump starting, it's being contrary, it needs a good kicking with heavy boots on or a Basiling with a large tree branch.

yep a basil faulty job

57 minutes ago, skyrider said:

no at the time of bumping i had already done about thirty miles and tried bumping in about third gear and it didnt even try to start so i hit the button and away i went

Well I'm not sure what your doing all I know is my Serow was probably the easiest bike ever to bump start, even on a loose surface on a trail it would bump start 

elmo-sesame-street.gif.397d7c0be91db1851ac5336a648a1f8e.gif

43 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Well I'm not sure what your doing all I know is my Serow was probably the easiest bike ever to bump start, even on a loose surface on a trail it would bump start 

elmo-sesame-street.gif.397d7c0be91db1851ac5336a648a1f8e.gif

Don't forget Bob we've yet to see a photo of said serow so it would be impossible to bump start if it didn't exist :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Don't forget Bob we've yet to see a photo of said serow so it would be impossible to bump start if it didn't exist :classic_laugh:

oh i certainly have one but it aint coming out at this time of the year too cold

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, skyrider said:

oh i certainly have one but it aint coming out at this time of the year too cold

This time of the year ??  you have shown us a photo at ANY time of the year

waiting.gif.0303d93a6995c697e065db2e459752be.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, busabeast said:

Hmmm what do we think lads? Just an excuse or does he speak the truth Suspect Skeptic GIF by Red Fang

Well it could have a tump of bodies in front of it, you know how long  it takes to get rid of one of those these days with all the phone cameras and CCTV about. so may take him well into next year to get to it depending on how big the tump is LOL

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Well it could have a tump of bodies in front of it, you know how long  it takes to get rid of one of those these days with all the phone cameras and CCTV about.

28 minutes including paring the joints and cleaning the industrial mincing machine afterwards.

• Haha 2