Your Day Today!

XTreme

Lots of people on strike today in protest at the government's plan to raise the retirement age here. It's actually not affected us directly, but some folks on some FB groups complaining about various government and municipal facilities closed. I've been coming to France for many years and strikes are a regular feature here, but some of the "expats" are having a hard time understanding this! 😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 06/03/2023 at 15:49, boboneleg said:

Got out this morning on Miss USA , I was looking forward to see how she would run after deleting the side stand switch.  I rode up the A46 towards Stroud and gave it soome beans when it was clear, smooth acceleration all the way up to 80mph so all good there.  Later I took it down the rough Fosseway section with the whoops and again it was fine, no coughing, bamging or cutting out.

On reflection I think that switch had been going bad for over a year but I was mis-diagnosing it as a carb problem, anyway all good now 👍

My destination at Stroud was Capels Mill, a fascinating place and well worth a visit.

IMG_3906.thumb.JPEG.7c376cd11892894d84e3636137e98134.JPEG

IMG_3907.thumb.JPEG.d99987f7a952e21e8206db5d21d84b73.JPEG

IMG_3910.thumb.JPEG.93ee55b559e9ceadba27ea3110f716ca.JPEG

IMG_3911.thumb.JPEG.29f304a5735060fe1a1f27e41aab4436.JPEG

IMG_3917.thumb.JPEG.2f113a5081feb164de3db6d8f4acc06e.JPEG

IMG_3922.thumb.JPEG.4eb36e09bcf8f9c1802810cabc57d0f2.JPEG

the engine builder I used to work with were in stroud, Beta Marine, dunno if they're still there though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

Car booked in for ITV/MOT Friday morning!

And next month the bike will need it's first ITV as it reaches 4 years old......bike ones are renewed every two years.

they're still not managing to impose mot's on bikes here yet, but they're working on it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MooN said:

the engine builder I used to work with were in stroud, Beta Marine, dunno if they're still there though.

They used to have a place out on the A38 near Stroud, I remember it as I always thought it was an odd location for such a business .

4 hours ago, Tango said:

Lots of people on strike today in protest at the government's plan to raise the retirement age here. It's actually not affected us directly, but some folks on some FB groups complaining about various government and municipal facilities closed. I've been coming to France for many years and strikes are a regular feature here, but some of the "expats" are having a hard time understanding this! 😂😂😂

well tell 'em to fuck of back to blighty where everything's wonmderful. , I would ( and do)

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

They used to have a place out on the A38 near Stroud, I remember it as I always thought it was an odd location for such a business .

it was but an old mill race ran along behind the factory and there were about 150 pipes into it running the marine engine test beds 😂

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

on the A38 near Stroud

We have the pleasure of living at the other end of the A38.....I avoid it when possible.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Clive said:

We have the pleasure of living at the other end of the A38.....I avoid it when possible.

I love the old A38 @Clive , I'd much rather use it than the M5. 

Back in the day it used to be dodgy between Bristol and Gloucester though as it used to be a 3-lane road with overtaking allowed in either direction

Scared Dog GIF

• Like 2

Just now, boboneleg said:

I love the old A38 @Clive , I'd much rather use it than the M5. 

Back in the day it used to be dodgy between Bristol and Gloucester though as it used to be a 3-lane road with overtaking allowed in either direction

Scared Dog GIF

The southern sections may be reasonably OK, but up our end between Mansfield and Derby it is not fit for purpose, at peak times it is gridlocked (almost) and still bad in off peak times too......too many traffic controlled crossroads and junctions like the entrance and exit to the M1.

Getting through Derby is a pain in the harris too.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

Car booked in for ITV/MOT Friday morning!

And next month the bike will need it's first ITV as it reaches 4 years old......bike ones are renewed every two years.

They are looking at making MOT’s every two years in the U.K. 

• Like 3

Evening. 

Had a tooth drilled and filled for the first time today. I must of watched too many torture/confession films cos I was more than terrified, have heard bad dentist stories galore so nearly backed out but I didn't feel a thing, they give you anaesthetic and everything!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Buckster said:

They are looking at making MOT’s every two years in the U.K. 

thats asking for trouble... thats the only time a lot of people will get anything done on their cars if it is literally falling apart at the mot station

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Six30 said:

thats asking for trouble... thats the only time a lot of people will get anything done on their cars if it is literally falling apart at the mot station

I agree its the only time i look at mine and rely on them telling me if there's something wrong but i don't think the place i take it has looked at it properly for the last few years because the list of advisories he gave me this year didn't appear between last years and this years MOT i know because the thing has barely turned a wheel  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I agree its the only time i look at mine and rely on them telling me if there's something wrong but i don't think the place i take it has looked at it properly for the last few years because the list of advisories he gave me this year didn't appear between last years and this years MOT i know because the thing has barely turned a wheel  

`perhaps he had a visit from the ministry .... and now being a jobsworth

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Six30 said:

`perhaps he had a visit from the ministry .... and now being a jobsworth

I don't mind him being a jobsworth i want to know when things are wearing out so i can keep on top of them 
This was a bush he missed last year i spotted it just by laying on the floor and looking at the rear diff plain as the nose on your face

!cid_19BC3BB0-4912-44E3-99AE-1DA800B100BD.thumb.jpg.8557fbec53050136fc9fc4f1a4fa7ed8.jpg

• Like 2