Your Day Today!

XTreme

18 minutes ago, Clive said:

At my last job we were on minimum  wage, the guy who owned the company told us (drivers) that he was going to up it to the living wage ☺ 

What did he do?. He dropped our daily working hours down by 1 hour per day, which in effect put us on the living wage, but we still bought home the same amount of wages. 

When I was 30 I worked two jobs, the second job (on an evening ) paid for my investments (I didn’t trust property) .

That enabled me to pay off my mortgage early and then use the mortgage money for retirement.

The point of all this is that there is no way a state pension will give you enough to be comfortable in retirement.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

When I was 30 I worked two jobs, the second job (on an evening ) paid for my investments (I didn’t trust property) .

That enabled me to pay off my mortgage early and then use the mortgage money for retirement.

The point of all this is that there is no way a state pension will give you enough to be comfortable in retirement.

I congratulate you and all the people who were able to do as you did. 👍

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Saul said:

I wanted something faster really.  I have given up on the idea of regular commuting as I just wasn't using the CB500 enough for that purpose and that was a big factor in choosing it.  Without the limitation of economy I thought I would like something a little more fun.  I tried several bikes (sat on rather than rode) and thought about many more but I came to the conclusion that I liked the physical size and weight of the CB500, the Hornet is near identical in both of those aspects with nearly double the power plus some tech to play, so a no brainer as it was within my budget.   I do like a Honda, especially a new one made in Japan. Close run second choices were a 2021 Triumph Tiger 660 and a really nice fully loaded second hand CBF1000.   Triumph Plymouth made sure the Tiger was a not a choice, I will never darken their door again, and the CBF was just to heavy.  

I don't know what's wrong with some of the Triumph dealers, I guess that they shift a good number of bikes without really having to try. I think that the Hornet 750 is a solid choice for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, boboneleg said:

So can ask all you retiree's  (is that a word ? )  At what age did you start planning for your retirement ?

62........which, coincidentally, was also the age that I retired at! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So can ask all you retiree's  (is that a word ? )  At what age did you start planning for your retirement ?

I've been pretty lucky, in that, I've always worked for companies that had pretty good pensions, with the exception of 1, but I only worked for them for a couple of years and I took out my own pension investment plan whilst I worked for them. I never gave it any serious thought until working for my last company,  who's pension scheme was 2% employee contribution and the company paid double that, so they put 4% in. But they also had a scheme where the employee could up their contribution to 3% or 4% and the company would put in double that amount. So I opted for 4% and the company put in 8%, so I had 12% of my salary going into their pension. 

My first 2 companies had final salary pensions and, although I left those companies many years ago, the pensions from them are reasonably useful.  One of them I opted to take a higher amount until I get my state pension, then that pension drops back, but even then it should be £4k a year on top of my state pension.

The other pensions were defined contribution pensions. The stock market dropping over the past couple of years has hit them pretty hard, but there's still a useful amount in them at the moment. I'm taking a small amount out of them at the moment just to supplement the others a bit.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Tango said:

I don't know what's wrong with some of the Triumph dealers, I guess that they shift a good number of bikes without really having to try. I think that the Hornet 750 is a solid choice for you.

Come to Spain and see these twats here!

Apart from Rafa in "Vespacito no me Corras" in Granada.......they're all too fucking lazy to actually sell you a bike.

@Pedro will recognise this sort of shit!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Six30 said:

you need something for your wank bank ?

You said "go in"......which implies that you're going into a workplace!

I wondered what this workplace was!

• Haha 1

You were very wise Bob, It amazes me how many people don't realise that the state pension is just a fixed rate everyone gets the same if they have worked long enough and paid into the system, it's not like the pension schemes in European countries and to compare them is unrealistic as they are calculated in different ways, I've known for the last 30 years how much state pension i will receive if i stayed employed so it's no surprise to me how much or should i say how little i will be receiving, its not enough for me to carry on the way i live now and i did start a private pension in my early 20's to compensate for that but i was lied to by the pension company and stopped paying into it or any other as i didn't trust any of the fuckers. Then i fell into that "I've got no money trap" where i told everyone i had no cash to save as i was just about keeping my head above water but looking back i always had cash for beer bikes and weekends away so i got no real excuse and hold my hand up and say i haven't really prepared for it the best way i could but i can say I've enjoyed the way I've lived my life and hopefully will keep on enjoying it up until i retire and then i will have to see what has to change. I think todays working generation will be much better prepared than ours as everything seems more out in the open and you can't be ripped off as easily as it was when i started a pension, We have been advising our kids to start preparing for their future for a few years now i can never remember anyone telling me that when i was younger i just done it off my own back.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

You were very wise Bob,

Maybe not that wise, my company pension is paid by a tobacco company and we all know that lots of peeps want to see tobacco wiped out.    Luckily the pension trustees are pretty savvy and most of the pot is invested in exclusive property in London.

All investments, pensions, savings etc are a bit of a gamble if you want a decent return but most of it is better than doing nothing.  As you say , god knows what kids today are going to do about their future .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

He sits outside his gaff painting wheels on cars all day :classic_unsure:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Have you seen " Dont mess with the Zohan" 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, boboneleg said:

I'm not I'll never retire.... it won't be a thing when I get to that age 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Maybe not that wise, my company pension is paid by a tobacco company and we all know that lots of peeps want to see tobacco wiped out.    Luckily the pension trustees are pretty savvy and most of the pot is invested in exclusive property in London.

All investments, pensions, savings etc are a bit of a gamble if you want a decent return but most of it is better than doing nothing.  As you say , god knows what kids today are going to do about their future .

We have no future, our forebears saw to that 

• Like 2