Losing my balance ?

boboneleg

I've always prided myself on my balance ever since I lost my leg, it has enabled me to walk fairly well and be able to ride a bike in a decent fashion especially when you need it for off-road riding.

On my recent trip to France I fell off four times, the first was definitely a case of my ambition outweighing my skill but the other three manouvers (tight hairpins on loose surface) I was dissapointed with as I'm sure that they wouldn't have given me a problem in the past.  Added to this I find myself momentarely losing balance sometimes when walking and I actually fell over in the garage the other day while manouvering the Honda 250.   Too add to this without getting technical about it my prosthetic leg doesn't work as good in heat.

I have been doing a bit of thinking about this to try and see what the cause might be, is it just an age thing , a lack of concentration at critical times or are their mechanical reasons for it.  My right knee and hip are not the best as they have been taking most of the strain for 21 years now.

Any thoughts apart from the usual piss-taking ?

• Like 3

Four times isn't that bad, well not if you see the way I do it 😆

Could be any of the things you mention or a combination couldn't it. There are balance tests that can be done to assess you. You'll likely come out of it with a good rating regardless due to all the riding you do but it can act as a baseline observation and then if you feel any deterioration it would show in the next test. I can't remember anything useful about them other than they work by you moving and your eye movements being tracked. 

We do lose some of our balance as we age but you might just be rusty, you were off your bike for months and months after the op and the new prosthetic limb isn't going to be the same as the last, even a few mm's difference is going to cock things up for a while.

But I'd go for an eye test, deterioration in vision is usually quite a hidden cause because it happens so gradually. Also and I hate to suggest this on here but it makes a world of difference try yoga, you'll be shocked how much of it you can't do and how quickly it improves. Balance exercises make a big difference, if you can't find prosthetic limb friendly yoga moves then google balance exercises, thats what a physio would give you to do.

Overtime our body shape and weight distribution shifts but sometimes the brain doesnt catch up, thats why pregnant women have to be cautious exercising, they are well aware they're the size of a whale and waddle like a Mr Potatohead but the brain carries on with the old pathways making you prone to falls or worse, exercises can help markedly by laying down right pathways.

• Like 4

Age I'd say Bob......I don't feel as planted on my feet as I used to.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel like I'm going to fall over or dizzy etc.....just not as light on my feet as I used to be.

• Like 3

loosing your balance seems a bit careless Bob, I mean I loose my keys regularly but still....

other than the piss take:   it doesn't sound like a mechanical issue to me, your right knee or hip didn't cause the fall by collapsing or giving way, it sounds more like and eye or inner ear ( or coordination of the two) causing an overbalance, likely made worse by the prosthetic left side not adapting fast enough to catch it and prevent the fall as a fully limbed person of your great age would probably have done.  In fairness I know sweet FA about these things, but you asked. 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marcel said:

Could be just bad luck.... Some without prostectic lims still do trip sometimes.... But if your feeling dizzy... I'd book a doc appointment. 

No dizzyness associated with it Marcel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

Any thoughts apart from the usual piss-taking ?

Without wanting to sound alarmist. I would say the smart thing to do is go see a brain guy to rule out nasty degenerative stuff.

My dad started having ocasional light lapses in balance, and only after other symptoms appeared (occasional lack of grip strength in one hand) did he take it seriously. 

The trip in France stuff, might it also have been something simple enough your confidence affected by the first fall and hurt ribs?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pedro said:

The trip in France stuff

Maybe longer trips are getting too much now? After all, none of us are getting any younger!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Four times isn't that bad, well not if you see the way I do it 😆

Could be any of the things you mention or a combination couldn't it. There are balance tests that can be done to assess you. You'll likely come out of it with a good rating regardless due to all the riding you do but it can act as a baseline observation and then if you feel any deterioration it would show in the next test. I can't remember anything useful about them other than they work by you moving and your eye movements being tracked. 

We do lose some of our balance as we age but you might just be rusty, you were off your bike for months and months after the op and the new prosthetic limb isn't going to be the same as the last, even a few mm's difference is going to cock things up for a while.

But I'd go for an eye test, deterioration in vision is usually quite a hidden cause because it happens so gradually. Also and I hate to suggest this on here but it makes a world of difference try yoga, you'll be shocked how much of it you can't do and how quickly it improves. Balance exercises make a big difference, if you can't find prosthetic limb friendly yoga moves then google balance exercises, thats what a physio would give you to do.

Overtime our body shape and weight distribution shifts but sometimes the brain doesnt catch up, thats why pregnant women have to be cautious exercising, they are well aware they're the size of a whale and waddle like a Mr Potatohead but the brain carries on with the old pathways making you prone to falls or worse, exercises can help markedly by laying down right pathways.

Over It Reaction GIF by jjjjjohn

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

Age I'd say Bob......I don't feel as planted on my feet as I used to.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel like I'm going to fall over or dizzy etc.....just not as light on my feet as I used to be.

Not as light on your feet as you used to be? Really, I find that hard to believe. 🤣🤣

• Haha 6

I think it’s an age thing as there appears to be bugger all wrong with me and I find sometimes that I lose my balance ever so slightly. If you’re worried though @boboneleg you should get yourself checked out just for peace of mind. 

• Like 3

If i look up to long the blood gets shut off to my brain. The eye doctor said dont do that anymore something about veins. 🙃

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, XTreme said:

Maybe longer trips are getting too much now? After all, none of us are getting any younger!

I am, I found the way to revert to a younger form of myself....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Richzx6r said:

I am, I found the way to revert to a younger form of myself....

Unfortunately I cannot revert to a younger form of myself as there is a bit missing 😂

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, boboneleg said:

Unfortunately I cannot revert to a younger form of myself as there is a bit missing 😂

Could your balance issue be just you still sub consciously getting used to the new leg? Though even at my younger tender age I still find myself wobbly from time to time as if my brain has lost itself for a moment. 

Maybe that's just too many bangs to the head on my part though 🤔 

• Haha 2

Take up Tai Chi. 

I think that it's an age thing, Bob. If I turn my head quickly or look up whilst walking I often veer off to one side, almost like I'm drunk!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That walking is fucking you up Bob!

Well, the arthritis in my knees is a hell of a lot better since I started biking and walking more, Pete. No mobility scooter for me for a while yet! 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 3