Accidents

Sir Fallsalot

Got home tonight to news my daughter had bumped her car, she thinks its her fault because after watching the dash cam a few times says there's so many things she could have done different to avoid it. I said No the guy pulled out its his fault. What do you think the guy is saying she hit him which in a way is right but because he pulled out on her.

Ignore the speed for some reason the video looks speeded up she was doing about 25 in a 30. Watching it myself i think i could have easily stopped but i know these videos make things appear further away than they are

Now she has some scratches she didn't do 

654892144_WhatsAppImage2021-12-15at15_32_20.thumb.jpeg.b3591453eab4333cca5c4e8e65b1a5cc.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

She was on the main road and he pulled out in front of her from a side road, so I can't see what his argument is! The wide angle on these dashcams make things look farther away than they actually are, so she was closer to the junction when he pulled out than it looks. 

Yep, being bikers you'd be more prepared for that to happen and would probably have adjusted your speed and road position already, but she did well really. If she'd gone straight into the side of him things could have been a lot worse.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Got home tonight to news my daughter had bumped her car, she thinks its her fault because after watching the dash cam a few times says there's so many things she could have done different to avoid it. I said No the guy pulled out its his fault. What do you think the guy is saying she hit him which in a way is right but because he pulled out on her.

Ignore the speed for some reason the video looks speeded up she was doing about 25 in a 30. Watching it myself i think i could have easily stopped but i know these videos make things appear further away than they are

Now she has some scratches she didn't do 

654892144_WhatsAppImage2021-12-15at15_32_20.thumb.jpeg.b3591453eab4333cca5c4e8e65b1a5cc.jpeg

It is entirely his fault. Even without the dash cam the damage shows that because unless her vehicle miraculously walked sideways crab style into his vehicle he clearly must have hit her.

Those dash cam are very deceptive. They make it look like theres a shitload more time than there really is. A guy ran me off the motorway onto the hard shoulder a few weeks ago by pulling back into the driving lane without looking. It involved fast movement on my part and was a proper adrenaline shot. Watched it back on the dash cam and it looked like bugger all, except I know if I hadn’t taken avoiding action he would have smacked straight into the side of me. I then pulled along side him to have a look and the moron was oblivious eating a pasty with massive headphones on!

So what Im saying is the dash cam doesnt give the correct perception of time, she’s young with snappy reflexes and if that could have been avoided she would have managed it. He looks like he just looked straight through her without seeing the car. A bit of motion camouflage or looming I think its called. Twat.

On a separate note Im glad my kids have got dash cams I think an older forceful person could persuade them it was their fault and a bit of footage is priceless!

Hope she’s ok.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tango said:

She was on the main road and he pulled out in front of her from a side road, so I can't see what his argument is! The wide angle on these dashcams make things look farther away than they actually are, so she was closer to the junction when he pulled out than it looks. 

Yep, being bikers you'd be more prepared for that to happen and would probably have adjusted your speed and road position already, but she did well really. If she'd gone straight into the side of him things could have been a lot worse.

Damn right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

On a separate note Im glad my kids have got dash cams I think an older forceful person could persuade them it was their fault and a bit of footage is priceless!

Hope she’s ok.

Yes that's what happened she said i hit you which i think he picked up on and is now saying he done nowt wrong. She was shook up and couldn't stop crying so didn't take any details at the scene it was a good job she fitted the dash cameras it was her idea 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've had a dashcam in my cars for quite a few years now. The police took my dashcam once, when I witnessed a double fatality crash to use the footage as evidence. Even that didn't look so bad on the dashcam, but it was horrific without the distorted view of the camera.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Tango said:

I've had a dashcam in my cars for quite a few years now. The police took my dashcam once, when I witnessed a double fatality crash to use the footage as evidence. Even that didn't look so bad on the dashcam, but it was horrific without the distorted view of the camera.

The guy doesn't know we have dash cam footage and now a witness that seen it all as well :littleguy:

• Like 4

not her fault. 

there is a clearly defined priority, the car pulling out has failed to give way on a clearly marked junction, your daughter has taken appropriate evasive action ( the road ahead was clear so she's moved into the oncoming lane to avoid collision, the vehicle failing to give way has continued across and hit her. it's the front of his car that has impacted her car aft of the front wheel arch and not her car that has run into him, otherwise her car would be damaged on the front and his on the right side. 

I know sod all about the rad law in the UK, but that seems fairly clear cut to me.

• Like 4

By looking at it it's clear he was at fault, looks like he didn't even bother to look and just assumed it would be ok, hopefully with the footage it will be an easy prove that you're daughter wasn't at fault 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Yes that's what happened she said i hit you which i think he picked up on and is now saying he done nowt wrong. She was shook up and couldn't stop crying so didn't take any details at the scene it was a good job she fitted the dash cameras it was her idea 

When your young it is frightening. Its one of those inbetween times when youre officially a grown up n all independent but suddenly need your mum and dad badly. Then some adult starts blaming you and you dont have the experience to fend the lying bugger off.

There are some really good apps available for crashes that help keep things calm, sounds daft but they just open the app and it tells you to say nothing and write down make model date time conditions etc.

Anyway commiserations on her car (it really stings the first time) and for what its worth I think the idiot should be grateful she did a good job of avoiding wiping him out. 

Never forget it happening to me or the bloke completely changing his tune when met my dad 😆 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MooN said:

not her fault. 

there is a clearly defined priority, the car pulling out has failed to give way on a clearly marked junction, your daughter has taken appropriate evasive action ( the road ahead was clear so she's moved into the oncoming lane to avoid collision, the vehicle failing to give way has continued across and hit her. it's the front of his car that has impacted her car aft of the front wheel arch and not her car that has run into him, otherwise her car would be damaged on the front and his on the right side. 

I know sod all about the rad law in the UK, but that seems fairly clear cut to me.

Very well put 

• Like 2

It’s the bit where you have to put it on every insurance renewal for feckin years even though it’s not your fault that gets on my pip. 

Every renewal I’m reminded of the tosspot who drove into the back of my car and refused to acknowledge he’d done any damage so after initially saying to go ahead with the work his insurance company then said they wouldn’t pay. Grrrr. 

Id try n keep things off the books for that reason alone, unless they’re a snake like the bloke in this scenario is then I’d be more than happy for him to pay ridiculously inflated prices for a hire car 😂 

• Like 4

I don’t think it matters these days with the crooked insurance companies, my car was hit while parked in my allotted parking bay but the insurance company still took 3 years no claims off of me for a no fault claim, the best of it was I didn’t make a claim but still had to inform insurance as they state it is the rules of insurance, and then they lop off a chunk of no claims bonus.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2