Michelle's Shopping Dilemma!

Grasshopper

8 minutes ago, XTreme said:

It's the logical choice Lionel......manoeuvring half a ton of bike around is no joke in your 60's.

yes no more multis and certainly no fairings  as you say Pete easier to manoeuvre and work on 

Just now, skyrider said:

yes no more multis and certainly no fairings  as you say Pete easier to manoeuvre and work on 

I love Pedro's bike.....I think it's amazing.

But given my age, the limited time that I have available, and the riding environment where I am it's just totally impractical for me.

25 minutes ago, Pedro said:

What the issue with legalizing it? Being a standard bike you wouldn't have any issues bringing it to Portugal. Do you pay taxes in Spain?

The problem is that although it has a European Type Approval Number on the frame that same number doesn’t appear on the UK logbook and DVLA are not willing to issue a new logbook with it on.

The ITV station here won’t accept it and carry out the relevant inspection until the logbook has the number on.

Basically, the only way to do it is get an engineer’s report saying the bike is fine for import but that’s going to cost about 1,200 euros, plus all the Gestoria fees and the ITV inspection fee. It all adds up to more than the bike is worth! ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

But given my age, the limited time that I have available, and the riding environment where I am it's just totally impractical for me.

no keep it small and light

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XTreme said:

My bike would love you too, if you got to work on the exhaust's corrosion and caked dirt

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, skyrider said:

no keep it small and light

"Keep it small and light" works, it works for offroad and short distances, but if you plan on putting on some distance it fails to work, unless you have a long time to do it.

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

"Keep it small and light" works, it works for offroad and short distances, but if you plan on putting on some distance it fails to work, unless you have a long time to do it.

It's matching bike to individual requirements......your GS is what you need right now Pedro.

But over the years the requirements may well change, and it's inevitable that age will catch up with you at some point.

I think once I got into my early sixties I started feeling it kicking in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

It's matching bike to individual requirements......your GS is what you need right now Pedro.

But over the years the requirements may well change, and it's inevitable that age will catch up with you at some point.

I think once I got into my early sixties I started feeling it kicking in.

right now you think this bike is great, then in fifteen years time with a similar bike you will think jeez what a weight i will have to get something handier

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skyrider said:

right now you think this bike is great, then in fifteen years time with a similar bike you will think jeez what a weight i will have to get something handier

Exactly!

The CB750F1 I had in 76 was 235kg, the Bandit 1200 I had in 2001 was 240kg......but neither seemed heavy to me back then.

Now they would feel like barges.

Fair enough, in 15 years, or less, I might need a lighter second bike. No argument from me, however the "all there is are light single cylinder bikes" thing doesn't stick. Horses for courses.

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Fair enough, in 15 years, or less, I might need a lighter second bike. No argument from me, however the "all there is are light single cylinder bikes" thing doesn't stick. Horses for courses.

If that's what the requirements are, based on each individual's circumstances, and then throw in the person's preferences.....then it's the right choice Pedro.

And riding in Britain is a nightmare in terms of traffic volume, bad road surfaces, and Police surveillance compared to Southern Europe.

You can spend all day picking your way past streams of cars.....get half a mile of open road.....then go through the same thing again.

And remember that's based on how I remember it in 2005.....it's probably far worse now.

9 minutes ago, Pedro said:

jerry seinfeld GIF

It's awful Pedro!

And on one of those rare days the sun shines then the tailbacks stretch for miles! With everybody going 20mph because every twat in the country gets their fucking caravan out.

Imagine spending all day intermittently screaming it in second and third gear to pick cars off while going for any gap in the oncoming traffic that you can. It's exhausting physically and mentally.

much as I hate to admit this but there is some sense in what Bucky says, the actual weight of the bike is not really the issue ( on a road bike) it's more the centre of gravity. I remember riding a mates pan european a while back and being shocked at how light it felt compared the the tralp despit it's numerous extra kilos, all about weight distribution and centre of gravity.  

Untill you drop it.  :thud:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MooN said:

much as I hate to admit this but there is some sense in what Bucky says, the actual weight of the bike is not really the issue ( on a road bike) it's more the centre of gravity. I remember riding a mates pan european a while back and being shocked at how light it felt compared the the tralp despit it's numerous extra kilos, all about weight distribution and centre of gravity.  

Untill you drop it.  :thud:

Weight is ok until you have to push them around in the yard or garage, I’ve never had a problem with weight when riding on standard roads.

• Like 3

I am a firm believer in that you can ride big distances on any bike as long as it can cruise at about 65 mph. Along with some mates we did a tour from the UK right across to the old east Germany, down through the Czech Republic, northern Italy and back home through France. 3000 miles in eight days.

All on XR650’s and not a problem.

Adjust your mindset and all is well. ?

B205B758-4455-4BCB-A6AF-5170A1AA00B8.jpeg

2B77ED78-1F02-4E7F-A075-BDE0346D99EC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I did lots of long trips on my KLR when i first got it, only because Tammy was nuts for long weekend rides :thud:

2000 mile 3 day trips were the norm for awhile till we both got Connies.

Its nicer having 1000cc's and locking luggage.

:wave:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skippy said:

I am a firm believer in that you can ride big distances on any bike as long as it can cruise at about 65 mph. Along with some mates we did a tour from the UK right across to the old east Germany, down through the Czech Republic, northern Italy and back home through France. 3000 miles in eight days.

All on XR650’s and not a problem.

Adjust your mindset and all is well. ?

B205B758-4455-4BCB-A6AF-5170A1AA00B8.jpeg

2B77ED78-1F02-4E7F-A075-BDE0346D99EC.jpeg

I totally agree with you Ray, my CRF250 Rally took me to France and back twice before it was two years old.  Just avoid motorways and it's superb, the bonus is 80mpg as well IMG_3663.thumb.jpeg.d0a8cd66de72078acf5ca800997ded2a.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

Anyway, back to Michelle.  The right bike for you will be the one YOU choose.  Just go with your heart and what's available for your budget.

and get the best Harley you can find.

• Haha 2