Michelle's Shopping Dilemma!

Grasshopper

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Just to add to the mass of men with an opinion, what exactly is the intent of this bike, will it go on motorways for any distance? Would you like sporty or smooth, engine wise? Ideal cruising speed?

I want a street bike to enjoy the coastal highways.  I want something 500cc to 900cc.  I am leaning towards the Honda CB500F.  It would be my going into the city bike and maybe short camping trips on Vancouver Island with some soft luggage.  I just want to experience a different bike, as perhaps a stepping stone to a bigger bike for a trip across Canada.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

I want a street bike to enjoy the coastal highways.  I want something 500cc to 900cc.  I am leaning towards the Honda CB500F.  It would be my going into the city bike and maybe short camping trips on Vancouver Island with some soft luggage.  I just want to experience a different bike, as perhaps a stepping stone to a bigger bike for a trip across Canada.

Would this be the bike for a trip across Canada? I would say get the bike you want for that trip and get used to it, you're capable enough to handle whatever you want.

A Honda 600 or 650 4 cylinder is all the bike one needs, they last for ages here, and are so smooth and easy to ride. I wouldn't doubt of choosing one out of the Honda range for a middleweight road bike, it'll take you all over smoothly and fast. I get attached to machines that are there for you, and in this way the Honda will.

If you have the chance to try one, I would go for a ride on a BMW R9T, either a scrambler or the really road one, although it weights more they're a peach to handle. Also they've got BMWs best boxer engine ever, to this day. A previous generation R1200R would be as nice but maybe a little less easy to handle stopped. The R9T scrambler is all the road bike you need with good tires while being capable enough to handle dirt roads if you decide to take them on a trip. Maybe too expensive, though?

My heart goes to the Z900RS as far as new japanese road bikes go, just on account of it's looks and feel, have never ridden one though. If I were to buy a sunday-morning-coffee-run-road-bike to have next to the GS I would go try one out, but knowing myself probably still buy something with two cylinders, maybe opposed :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Do you feel like you should buy a new one? I don’t know the market there.

I would buy a new one knowing what I wanted, if I were planning on keeping for a while.

The used market here is over priced.

I do like new.  I get to break it in then. ?

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

Yes, just what she needs! :classic_laugh:

Need and want....which wins the heart, you want what you need, do you need what you want? LG says yes. :littleguy:

You want a nice sv650 they are superb all rounders, handle just as good as the Honda's and are super reliable to boot. My wife has one and loves it. I had to lower her's 2 inches though and she is only 5 feet tall. I also installed a handle bar conversion kit on it that brings them in 2 inches as well and she has ridden many 6 to 8 hour days on it with no problems

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Not one's mentioned the baby Strom?

Heavy and tall!

As Mess said.....the SV650 would be perfect, same engine as the Strom, but 25kg lighter, lower seat height, and around 2K cheaper.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I fear this is like shoe shopping. When you guys have exhausted your repertoire, each will be revisited and in the end something else will suddenly and impulsively be bought. 

And that is how a bike should really be bought, something you want to ride.

Otherwise it's like buying a washing machine or a water boiler.

• Like 2

I often go internet window shopping for another bike, sometimes starting with a faster road bike better for motorways that I often ride on, or something just pretty, or something touring more offroad oriented like a T700 for a proper trip, but eventually I realize what makes "sense" is another GS to go with this one 

Colin Farrell Reaction GIF

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

I often go internet window shopping for another bike, sometimes starting with a faster road bike better for motorways that I often ride on, or something just pretty, or something touring more offroad oriented like a T700 for a proper trip, but eventually I realize what makes "sense" is another GS to go with this one 

Colin Farrell Reaction GIF

Same here. Otherwise it's a garage full of bikes. One for roads. One for off road. One for touring. One for posing etc.

• Like 2

Just now, Specs said:

Same here. Otherwise it's a garage full of bikes. One for roads. One for off road. One for touring. One for posing etc.

One GS for touring, one GS for offroad, and ...

I don't think my way is cheaper :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1