Dumb ways to die.

Slowlycatchymonkey

Dumb ways to die  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever done anything so dumb you could have died?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can’t remember but Pete loves a poll so I’ll tick this box instead and make his day

12 minutes ago, Six30 said:

She a drug smuggler ,

panniers full of class A …  has to be .. she’s loaded 

ps I heartily recommend the Himalayan for it, it’s just not what anyone’s looking for and the panniers are huge, one trip can set you up for a year. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Really?

Firstly they would have wanted an explanation and probably a statement (particularly if it involves what looks like the shedding of an unsecured load) and I wanted to get on a plane and go home not spend forever fucking about with the police. 

Secondly running around the carriageway with or without a Hi-Viz is an offence, here in the UK of endangering others, suspect its the similar in Spain. 

Thirdly unless you live in a cosy world where the police don’t get things wrong and only prosecute the guilty you are better off wising up and getting the fuck out of there. Being innocent doesn’t protect you.

It was entirely possible me collecting stuff in busy motorway traffic was caught on camera.

You give the police a lot of credit that experience means I do not. 

It wasn’t that long ago we were were broken down and while 3 of the 4 policemen were lovely, the 4th was looking to book us, examining the bikes, going through our documents, he was a nasty piece and thats all it takes. 

Hmm different planets I think. 

In my experience here the Police and the Guardia have been decent enough......I've never had any issues.

Just now, XTreme said:

In my experience here the Police and the Guardia have been decent enough......I've never had any issues.

I have to be fair, police in Scotland are great, very pro Harley Davidson but have righteous disdain for Suzukis.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Yer but have you ever actually done anything wrong to test out that decency? Or are you talking about minor interactions by a law a biding citizen?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yer but have you ever actually done anything wrong to test out that decency? Or are you talking about minor interactions by a law a biding citizen?

Multiple spot checks over the years and I got done on my Fazer going through a radar trap at 140 in 120 zone ten years ago.......nothing else.

But what is it that you think you're doing wrong......I don't understand?

Just now, XTreme said:

Multiple spot checks over the years and I got done on my Fazer going through a radar trap at 140 in 120 zone ten years ago.......nothing else.

But what is it that you think you're doing wrong......I don't understand?

I don’t believe you don’t understand.

You are not allowed to run around a carriageway endangering others regardless of what led you to do that.  

And with no witnesses it simply looked like and unsecured load which I would be responsible for shedding. 

Ask any lorry driver if you could get prosecuted for that. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I don’t believe you don’t understand.

You are not allowed to run around a carriageway endangering others regardless of what led you to do that.  

And with no witnesses it simply looked like and unsecured load which I would be responsible for shedding. 

Ask any lorry driver if you could get prosecuted for that. 

But you got hit by a car......it's not as if things were just coming off your bike due to your failure to secure things.

• Like 1

Should I not point out that whoever's leading, which is mostly me in our case, never really get to far ahead so we can keep an eye on each other. I can only think of one time coming through the outskirts of Sheffield when I lost Mandi. I'd got a couple of cars in front and then she got stuck at some traffic lights with nowhere for me to pull over.
I texted her when I could and waited for the call.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Should I not point out that whoever's leading, which is mostly me in our case, never really get to far ahead so we can keep an eye on each other. I can only think of one time coming through the outskirts of Sheffield when I lost Mandi. I'd got a couple of cars in front and then she got stuck at some traffic lights with nowhere for me to pull over.
I texted her when I could and waited for the call.

I think thats a lovely way to do it but I don’t enjoy riding that way. Or road riding with other people generally. Constantly looking in the mirror slowing down or speeding up because of the person behind you is not my idea of a fun ride.

A lot of the time we ride together but but if one of us fancies a blast or the other just wants to dawdle then thats no worries, ride at your own pace and meet there. 

Overtaking when riding with someone else is another reason I’d rather not strictly ride together.

Say you’ve had multiple opportunities to overtake and the person behind hasn’t, you either have to sit there in traffic waiting for catch up (which ruins the flow), ignoring any further opportunities to overtake or simply enjoy the ride.

Course that has its consequences if something happens but it’s no different to going out for a ride on your tod. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

You need to stay in Weston-Super-Mud, it's much safer for old biddies like you

Well I've been here since 2005 without any incidents whatsoever.

That's not to say there are no risks here......there are. But they're of a different nature than in the UK.

Generally it's down to hopeless drivers (fortunately they only have a very limited repertoire of stupid manoeuvres) rather than the type of psycho you find in the UK who wants to run you off the road or put you at risk.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, XTreme said:

Well I've been here since 2005 without any incidents whatsoever.

That's not to say there are no risks here......there are. But they're of a different nature than in the UK.

Generally it's down to hopeless drivers (fortunately they only have a very limited repertoire of stupid manoeuvres) rather than the type of psycho you find in the UK who wants to run you off the road or put you at risk.

That’s cause you only ride in a five mile perimeter 

• Haha 2

in my misspent youth... 😂

swept out to sea in an 8 foot wooden sailing dinghy  when I was about 13. The fact I didn't drown that day was pure luck. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Oh the swept out to sea thing scares me!

Me too and stranded but that was being out with dull mates who i thought knew what they were doing but i should have known better :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

Right then @Slowlycatchymonkey now i'm home i got time to tell you about my little incident which made me know exactly how you felt retrieving your stuff of the motorway. Back in my mid 20's i was working on my own that week in Maidstone, it was about mid day on Friday and time to pack up for the trip home, i loaded everything on the van drove to our site container and off loaded it there for the weekend and off i went, i battled through the traffic to the M20 and then put my foot down to get a move on. I accelerate to the outside lane when i heard a chu chunk sound from the roof, i looked in the rear-view mirror and could see the large aluminium step ladder flying through the air i had forgotten to take it off the roof rack and put in the site container for the weekend. First thing that came to mind was shall i keep going then remembered our company name was written all over it and then the thought of someone hitting it on a bike came into my mind so i pulled over, I was about half a mile away by the time i negotiated the traffic to get to the hard shoulder and had to sprint back to where the ladder was which was easy to spot by all the smoke in the distance. when i got there it was in the slow lane and quite close but cars were skidding sideways trying to stop and swerving around it (the smoke i could see) then one car didn't see it in time and drove straight over it this was an industrial step ladder and was pretty heavily constructed but after the car went over it it jumped about 6ft in the air and landed in the middle lane fucking great i thought . There was no let up in the traffic and the thought of me witnessing someone dying soon started growing in my head then i see a gap, there was no traffic in the middle lane for as far as i could see but the inside and outside lane had traffic approaching i thought this was my chance i ran to the middle lane and grabbed the ladder by the time i picked it up and turned around the traffic i seen was passing me and i was stuck there with cars passing in front and behind me at 70mph i thought this was scary as fuck until i saw the car approaching me in the middle lane he had locked all four wheels and was heading for me in the split second of this happening i saw a gap in the traffic to the hard shoulder i just shut my eyes and ran for it my heart was pounding out my chest and i almost collapsed on the hard shoulder but i just legged it back to the van slung the steps in the back and fucked off before the police arrived, Even although it was scary as fuck and i almost died i found telling my boss i fucked his step ladders up even worse in fact i asked the foreman to break it to him first :classic_laugh: I still cant believe the steps stayed on the van from the site to the M20 as it was over 20 miles probably the slow rush hour traffic helped 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3