Dumb ways to die.

Slowlycatchymonkey

Dumb ways to die  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever done anything so dumb you could have died?

• Yes
    • No
    • Can’t remember but Pete loves a poll so I’ll tick this box instead and make his day

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Right then @Slowlycatchymonkey now i'm home i got time to tell you about my little incident which made me know exactly how you felt retrieving your stuff of the motorway. Back in my mid 20's i was working on my own that week in Maidstone, it was about mid day on Friday and time to pack up for the trip home, i loaded everything on the van drove to our site container and off loaded it there for the weekend and off i went, i battled through the traffic to the M20 and then put my foot down to get a move on. I accelerate to the outside lane when i heard a chu chunk sound from the roof, i looked in the rear-view mirror and could see the large aluminium step ladder flying through the air i had forgotten to take it off the roof rack and put in the site container for the weekend. First thing that came to mind was shall i keep going then remembered our company name was written all over it and then the thought of someone hitting it on a bike came into my mind so i pulled over, I was about half a mile away by the time i negotiated the traffic to get to the hard shoulder and had to sprint back to where the ladder was which was easy to spot by all the smoke in the distance. when i got there it was in the slow lane and quite close but cars were skidding sideways trying to stop and swerving around it (the smoke i could see) then one car didn't see it in time and drove straight over it this was an industrial step ladder and was pretty heavily constructed but after the car went over it it jumped about 6ft in the air and landed in the middle lane fucking great i thought . There was no let up in the traffic and the thought of me witnessing someone dying soon started growing in my head then i see a gap, there was no traffic in the middle lane for as far as i could see but the inside and outside lane had traffic approaching i thought this was my chance i ran to the middle lane and grabbed the ladder by the time i picked it up and turned around the traffic i seen was passing me and i was stuck there with cars passing in front and behind me at 70mph i thought this was scary as fuck until i saw the car approaching me in the middle lane he had locked all four wheels and was heading for me in the split second of this happening i saw a gap in the traffic to the hard shoulder i just shut my eyes and ran for it my heart was pounding out my chest and i almost collapsed on the hard shoulder but i just legged it back to the van slung the steps in the back and fucked off before the police arrived, Even although it was scary as fuck and i almost died i found telling my boss i fucked his step ladders up even worse in fact i asked the foreman to break it to him first :classic_laugh: I still cant believe the steps stayed on the van from the site to the M20 as it was over 20 miles probably the slow rush hour traffic helped 

Shocked Parks And Recreation GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Right then @Slowlycatchymonkey now i'm home i got time to tell you about my little incident which made me know exactly how you felt retrieving your stuff of the motorway. Back in my mid 20's i was working on my own that week in Maidstone, it was about mid day on Friday and time to pack up for the trip home, i loaded everything on the van drove to our site container and off loaded it there for the weekend and off i went, i battled through the traffic to the M20 and then put my foot down to get a move on. I accelerate to the outside lane when i heard a chu chunk sound from the roof, i looked in the rear-view mirror and could see the large aluminium step ladder flying through the air i had forgotten to take it off the roof rack and put in the site container for the weekend. First thing that came to mind was shall i keep going then remembered our company name was written all over it and then the thought of someone hitting it on a bike came into my mind so i pulled over, I was about half a mile away by the time i negotiated the traffic to get to the hard shoulder and had to sprint back to where the ladder was which was easy to spot by all the smoke in the distance. when i got there it was in the slow lane and quite close but cars were skidding sideways trying to stop and swerving around it (the smoke i could see) then one car didn't see it in time and drove straight over it this was an industrial step ladder and was pretty heavily constructed but after the car went over it it jumped about 6ft in the air and landed in the middle lane fucking great i thought . There was no let up in the traffic and the thought of me witnessing someone dying soon started growing in my head then i see a gap, there was no traffic in the middle lane for as far as i could see but the inside and outside lane had traffic approaching i thought this was my chance i ran to the middle lane and grabbed the ladder by the time i picked it up and turned around the traffic i seen was passing me and i was stuck there with cars passing in front and behind me at 70mph i thought this was scary as fuck until i saw the car approaching me in the middle lane he had locked all four wheels and was heading for me in the split second of this happening i saw a gap in the traffic to the hard shoulder i just shut my eyes and ran for it my heart was pounding out my chest and i almost collapsed on the hard shoulder but i just legged it back to the van slung the steps in the back and fucked off before the police arrived, Even although it was scary as fuck and i almost died i found telling my boss i fucked his step ladders up even worse in fact i asked the foreman to break it to him first :classic_laugh: I still cant believe the steps stayed on the van from the site to the M20 as it was over 20 miles probably the slow rush hour traffic helped 

Jeeezus Christ. 

That describes the feeling of being out it traffic brilliantly. I feel quite sick now. The flashbacks had only just stopped so thanks a fucking bunch :rofl:

It is impossible to understand how far away a vehicle is and how fast it’s going to be on top of you on a motorway. It almost doesn’t make sense. 

It’s also a shock how far you go before you stop.

I too stopped looking as a lept to the hard shoulder, it was a stay here and definitely die or jump and maybe die. Brrrrrr.

Thank for sharing that. It kinda makes me feel a bit better about it, not much though cos you were only twenty and didn’t want to risk killing someone. I was just being dumb as fuck!!

Bet the traffic was even faster than usual cos everyone sticks their foot down and drives a bit more aggressively if they’ve been caught in a jam. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Jeeezus Christ. 

That describes the feeling of being out it traffic brilliantly. I feel quite sick now. The flashbacks had only just stopped so thanks a fucking bunch :rofl:

It is impossible to understand how far away a vehicle is and how fast it’s going to be on top of you on a motorway. It almost doesn’t make sense. 

It’s also a shock how far you go before you stop.

I too stopped looking as a lept to the hard shoulder, it was a stay here and definitely die or jump and maybe die. Brrrrrr.

Thank for sharing that. It kinda makes me feel a bit better about it, not much though cos you were only twenty and didn’t want to risk killing someone. I was just being dumb as fuck!!

Bet the traffic was even faster than usual cos everyone sticks their foot down and drives a bit more aggressively if they’ve been caught in a jam. 

Got to be honest the first thing that came to mind was how would i get caught if i left it there, there were no cameras back then so it was just the name on the ladder, it was a few seconds after i thought what if i was on the bike and came up on that, back then if i was there on the bike i would have been well over 100mph on that stretch of road so the conscience then kicked in.

• Like 4