Scrambler XE panniers advice

Scrambler steve

Hi, planning on touring Italy this year, and have been looking for aluminium panniers for my Triumph scrambler XE. Motea do some for around £400 inc frame, and unit Garage do a pair with frame for around £1,250. 
Has anyone used these makes before or could give me advice on any other makes that are good. 
cheers Steve 

• Like 1

Just now, Scrambler steve said:

Hi, planning on touring Italy this year, and have been looking for aluminium panniers for my Triumph scrambler XE. Motea do some for around £400 inc frame, and unit Garage do a pair with frame for around £1,250. 
Has anyone used these makes before or could give me advice on any other makes that are good. 
cheers Steve 

Hi Steve......good to see you!

I'll tag the Triumph owners and see what they suggest: @Tango @MooN  @Sofia

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scrambler steve said:

cheers Steve 

I have a vague memory @Motobiker has some German aluminium panniers, they may well have been Motea.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I have a vague memory @Motobiker has some German aluminium panniers, they may well have been Motea.

Mine are from Bulgaria. bought pre-brexit. but from a UK dealer. Adventure Bike Shop. Brand is Bumot. but they do not make anything for the Scrambler specifically. unless it shares parts with another bike. Its a fairly niche bike so might be a case of get what you can. I would look carefully at Metal Mule. They do produce frames for the XE variant. They are generally highly regarded and at the affordable end of the price range compared to Touratech, for example. 

Less than £900 for the frames and panniers. made in the UK.

https://metalmule.com/product/triumph-scrambler-1200-pannier-frames/

dsc_0021-e1600021642758.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

At a glance I thought the metal plate was a side-stand monstrosity 😆

Im not a fan of the side stand extenders. not when the bike is parked on soft ground so rarely. when touring I take a square of thick rubber.. that's on a length of cord. tied to the handlebar. but, where ever I can I try to avoid using it and park on hard standing. I don't insist all the time that the bike is parked next to the tent. Its not necessary. This is also why I carry all my camping gear in a single hold-all so it can be carried from the bike to the pitch easily without a constant back and forth.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, XTreme said:

I have Triumph OE hard luggage on my xc cos it came with the bike, I like them, they work well and are well built though not ally.  I had plastic givi's on the transalp for 15 years and never found fault ( till I hit a gatepost with one and broke it. Thy're not repairable.  I have certainly heard good things about the metal mule kit but not used them. Not heard of either of the makes you mention @Scrambler steve. most of the chinese stuff is acceptable if it's bought for a one off or very rare usage, they're cheap, and that's for a reason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Motobiker said:

Im not a fan of the side stand extenders. not when the bike is parked on soft ground so rarely. when touring I take a square of thick rubber.. that's on a length of cord. tied to the handlebar. but, where ever I can I try to avoid using it and park on hard standing. I don't insist all the time that the bike is parked next to the tent. Its not necessary. This is also why I carry all my camping gear in a single hold-all so it can be carried from the bike to the pitch easily without a constant back and forth.

I have a small unobtrusive extender on the 9T which works okish but I still end up with an air hockey puck in my jacket to throw down, requires precise stopping on return or flailing one leg around like you’re doing the hokey cokey.

The one bag thing does and doesn’t work for me. If it’s a roll top wet bag strapped across the panniers I find it useful for capacity but a total pita to undo to get things out. Plus I’d don’t enjoy lugging a large heavy bag over any distance. 

I think it depends on what you’re doing. Riding to a destination not much distance away where the bike will be close then one large bag works for me. 

Multiple stops moving on everyday, doing distance and variable weather forecast I want easy access to waterproofs, my sarnies and flask. So I have two set up’s.

The one you showed me

18A91E8A-E6C0-4BAF-BF1A-55A810C99085.thumb.jpeg.ab123428fc87d3d7b644c7df82b86b78.jpeg

and this one that looks awful but I can get into the panniers on the fly and remove the important stuff in the tail pack and/or tank bag in one click.

A78F4FF3-50BE-493F-BB84-2ED557B5A41A.thumb.jpeg.6629a45e09dffc60b8c58935ec35851c.jpeg

The top of the pannier bags are small enough to be Ryan Air under seat (ie free) compliant so a win for me. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I’m a bit busy but the IP address doesn’t look particularly dodgy 🤷‍♂️

No.....it doesn't to me either.

But this "one post and never come back" thing is very prevalent on other forums as well.

• Like 1

Just to say, I’ve been down at Marazion in Cornwall, with no signal, sorry!! 
it’s not spam, I was genuinely asking about the two types of panniers, as they seem to be the only two makes other than the metal mule that do aluminium panniers for this bike! Bit of a homophobic comment, but I do have a van !! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 26/02/2023 at 12:13, XTreme said:

I suggest never EVER put metal panniers on a Scrambler! Total outrageous idea!!! If one wants metal boxes, get a GS, don't ruin the look of a Scrambler 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scrambler steve said:

Just to say, I’ve been down at Marazion in Cornwall, with no signal, sorry!! 
it’s not spam, I was genuinely asking about the two types of panniers, as they seem to be the only two makes other than the metal mule that do aluminium panniers for this bike! Bit of a homophobic comment, but I do have a van !! 

I don't know if we're allowed to have two men with vans on here :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Sofia said:

I suggest never EVER put metal panniers on a Scrambler! Total outrageous idea!!! If one wants metal boxes, get a GS, don't ruin the look of a Scrambler 

They won’t be going on permanent, only when we do Italy, end of summer. Planning on going all the way to Sicily, staying there for a week, then back into Italy, and catching ferry across to Croatia. We will have a laptop with us, as we will need to do some work in the 5 weeks, but not happy about having a laptop in a non aluminium pannier! 

• Like 5

Thanks for all the advice above about the aluminium panniers.I think I’m going to take a trip down to metal mule and take a look at there’s , and there’s a company who supply unit garage panniers down in Sussex, so I’ll contact them and ask if I can go down and check them out. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Scrambler steve said:

Thanks for all the advice above about the aluminium panniers.I think I’m going to take a trip down to metal mule and take a look at there’s , and there’s a company who supply unit garage panniers down in Sussex, so I’ll contact them and ask if I can go down and check them out. 

You haven't told us anything about yourself Steve......what's your bike history etc?

• Like 1