Third Weekend in November!

XTreme

46 minutes ago, Tango said:

The more I know, the more I realise I don't know! 

And, as @Clive said in another thread, you can't teach an old dog new tricks! 

I accept that I will never be fluent, but I'd like to be able to hold basic conversations with people, rather than staring back like a rabbit caught in headlights when anyone speaks to me! 😂😂

I did try to learn a little Spanish years ago..........went to the bar and asked for coffee con leche por favor......he said "your Spanish is quite good......but we speak Mallorcan".....shot down in flames......I never bothered after that.......did not tip the twat either. 💷 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

You're right , it's a piece of shit car built by Vauxhall in the 70's  🤪

viva.jpeg.4ae178edbb32b76f7dd8a520ec9bf5ad.jpeg

First proper car I had....the HA Viva! It was a 1965 model! I think the HB was launched in 1966.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

True, I found a 70's model.  They were shit as well .............

th.jpeg.4c8add5561822121efd6bd6bf278ef84.jpeg

1967-vauxhall-viva-hb-1.jpg?anchor=cente

I had one of these. Got it off a friends mum as the clutch slipped. I only just got it home but £5 for a second hand clutch and £15 for the car, lasted me a few months before plod caught up and took it off me. I was 15 at the time and yes it was also shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

1967-vauxhall-viva-hb-1.jpg?anchor=cente

I had one of these. Got it off a friends mum as the clutch slipped. I only just got it home but £5 for a second hand clutch and £15 for the car, lasted me a few months before plod caught up and took it off me. I was 15 at the time and yes it was also shit.

Clutch was slipping on mine as well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Biggest prob I remember with that engine was the distributor. The bearing would wear so you had no gap on the points at one lobe and then 50 thou at the next.

Yeh......I remember that too!

The Office What GIF

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

Yeh......I remember that too!

The Office What GIF

Thought Magnetos was more your era.😂

And mine!. 😩

• Haha 3

talking of cars...

I got out of a lemon today courtesy of we buy any car.... citroen ds3 1.6htp , ...bought it from BCA which own we buy any car so the cunts can have it back... .. as soon as i drove out auction gates management light came on , got me home just about , its been into two different mechanics ,  couldn't sort it . If you plugged in diagnostic scanner and cleared faults it would run ok for a few mins,  any way i back dated log book put it in my name and booked an appointment with we buy any car, chucked it on my truck , parked up round the corner, turned management light off and drove it to wbac office in the corner of a morrisons car park,....  My plan went like clock work , so if you see this quality bit of French stock for sale give it a swerve

4543166A-5F29-49EA-8C57-D6B5569D5E3C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

Biggest prob I remember with that engine was the distributor. The bearing would wear so you had no gap on the points at one lobe and then 50 thou at the next.

I bet he couldn't work out what 50 thou was even if you gave him a micrometer 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

talking of cars...

I got out of a lemon today courtesy of we buy any car.... citroen ds3 1.6htp , ...bought it from BCA which own we buy any car so the cunts can have it back... .. as soon as i drove out auction gates management light came on , got me home just about , its been into two different mechanics ,  couldn't sort it . If you plugged in diagnostic scanner and cleared faults it would run ok for a few mins,  any way i back dated log book put it in my name and booked an appointment with we buy any car, chucked it on my truck , parked up round the corner, turned management light off and drove it to wbac office in the corner of a morrisons car park,....  My plan went like clock work , so if you see this quality bit of French stock for sale give it a swerve

4543166A-5F29-49EA-8C57-D6B5569D5E3C.jpeg

Them and Peugeot can't help themselves with the their software not allowing for parameters to move which they then call a software update and charge you for it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Catteeclan said:

Them and Peugeot can't help themselves with the their software not allowing for parameters to move which they then call a software update and charge you for it.

My ex had a Citroën ZX 1.9d, non turbo, for years and then handed it down to my eldest lad when he first passed his test. I think that in the nearly 20 years they had it it only needed a new battery and a couple of glow plugs, apart from tyres and brakes. Slow as fuck, but it just ran and ran. My lad only got rid because the drivers door hinges were pulling away, so the door dropped, and repairs were more than the car was worth. But it didn't have all the electronics and gadgets of newer cars.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

That Citroen/Peugeot 1.9d was a bombproof engine. My mate has a van with over 350,000kms on it and it's still going (slowly).

There's a Picasso like mine in the UK that's done over half a million miles on the same engine!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, XTreme said:

There's a Picasso like mine in the UK that's done over half a million miles on the same engine!

it's a 600.000km engine in a 250.000km car, lots of them here on taxi duty with over 600.000km on the little citroen sedan

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Tango said:

My ex had a Citroën ZX 1.9d, non turbo, for years and then handed it down to my eldest lad when he first passed his test. I think that in the nearly 20 years they had it it only needed a new battery and a couple of glow plugs, apart from tyres and brakes. Slow as fuck, but it just ran and ran. My lad only got rid because the drivers door hinges were pulling away, so the door dropped, and repairs were more than the car was worth. But it didn't have all the electronics and gadgets of newer cars.

Different era. I'd agree they were some good motors then. Most cars built between 96 and 2006 were pretty bullet proof but along came the electronics.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Pedro said:

it's a 600.000km engine in a 250.000km car, lots of them here on taxi duty with over 600.000km on the little citroen sedan

There was virtually no rust on that Citroën, but the metal fatigue around the drivers door hinges were what killed it. It was the 3 door variant, so the driver and passenger door were bigger and consequently weighed more, which put extra strain on the hinges. Other than that it probably would have gone on for another 20 years. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

Different era. I'd agree they were some good motors then. Most cars built between 96 and 2006 were pretty bullet proof but along came the electronics.

Absolutely agree. Theirs was a 94 car that we bought in 96 and it got scrapped in 2016. The bodywork, apart from the door hinges, was in pretty good nick, considering it was kept outside and rarely got washed! The interior was a different story! 😂😂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Catteeclan said:

yup..its the electrics on cars now ... and mechanics cant diagnose shit properly 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Catteeclan said:

If I remember correctly Vauxhall had the distributor shaft running at a 45 deg angle and it was the diameter of a pencil only not as strong.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

If I remember correctly Vauxhall had the distributor shaft running at a 45 deg angle and it was the diameter of a pencil only not as strong.

Can't remember that but there was no oil on it other than what was used in assembling. No many mechanics would risk squirting a bucket of oil in there other than the top shaft as it would foul up the points.

• Like 2