Last Weekend in February

XTreme

On 26/02/2022 at 18:45, boboneleg said:

Oooooooooooooh  the big boys don't like driving unless they can move their hands about.  You stick to your manuals and I'll just cruise along in my autos .

Changing gear manually in a car.............  no 17 in life's pointless exercises 🙄

Having lost brakes due to overheating two out of the three times I've tried to drive down our local mountain in an automatic four wheel drive, I must beg to differ. Please give me back a manual transmission and some decent engine braking because I'm having too much fun to die. And also I'm sick of sitting on the mountain as it gets dark, waiting for the brakes to cool...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Having lost brakes due to overheating two out of the three times I've tried to drive down our local mountain in an automatic four wheel drive, I must beg to differ. Please give me back a manual transmission and some decent engine braking because I'm having too much fun to die. And also I'm sick of sitting on the mountain as it gets dark, waiting for the brakes to cool...

Even your posts are smoking hot. :littleguy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

I’ve never been in an automatic that doesn’t give the option to change to semi automatic where you can control the gear changes. Do they have exist? I dunno 🤷‍♀️ 

11 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Don't leave it in drive you can down shift an auto manually and it stays in that gear. I used to go down some real steep stuff in my Toyota surf purely on engine braking no problem 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’ve never been in an automatic that doesn’t give the option to change to semi automatic where you can control the gear changes. Do they have exist? I dunno 🤷‍♀️ 

Yes my works van has one of the newer auto boxes as in doesn't have a torque converter but a 7 speed duel clutch transmission which you can switch between manual and auto, In manual you can change down the gears and it will hold the gear you've selected but its not a true manual as it will change up or down automatically if the revs get too high or too low to protect the engine and transmission from damage.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Yes my works van has one of the newer auto boxes as in doesn't have a torque converter but a 7 speed duel clutch transmission which you can switch between manual and auto, In manual you can change down the gears and it will hold the gear you've selected but its not a true manual as it will change up or down automatically if the revs get too high or too low to protect the engine and transmission from damage.

I meant the other way round, do automatics exist that dont have semi automatic? Ive driven mostly automatics for donkeys and theres always been a semi-automatic option so you can control the gear changes yourself, never seen a vehicle without that option. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I meant the other way round, do automatics exist that dont have semi automatic? Ive driven mostly automatics for donkeys and theres always been a semi-automatic option so you can control the gear changes yourself, never seen a vehicle without that option. 

No me everything i've seen or driven either have a lever or flappy paddles to shift with manually

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

my Toyota Auris, which is hybrid and obviously has their CVT ( continuous Variable Transmission) which is a bizarre type of automatic box ( but doesn't actually have "staged" gears as such, has no manual mode.  It does have a position with enhanced engine braking and increased energy recuperation via the wheels to recharge the batteries for use in moutainous areas which reduces the amount of actual brake needed. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MooN said:

my Toyota Auris, which is hybrid and obviously has their CVT ( continuous Variable Transmission) which is a bizarre type of automatic box ( but doesn't actually have "staged" gears as such, has no manual mode.  It does have a position with enhanced engine braking and increased energy recuperation via the wheels to recharge the batteries for use in moutainous areas which reduces the amount of actual brake needed. 

Did losing semi-automatic bother you when you bought it? And have you tried it out this CVT thing in mountainous areas? Does it work?

I’m only asking cos I had a brown trouser moment when driving through flood waters and some manic (who could see I was already halfway through it) decided to come from the opposite direction, I had no choice but to move left, I felt the rear side of the car drop down the embankment. I looked down for the diff lock to discover there wasn’t one 😬💩  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

What van do you have Fred, we've got a Transit in work with auto box, it's an absolute peach to drive.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I looked down for the diff lock to discover there wasn’t one 😬💩  

Diff lock ?  you need an Volvo truck.  Here's one I used to drive , diff lock worked superb in snow.

index.jpg.f35449d1431dde70b885b3ad7c53fdfe.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, boboneleg said:

Diff lock ?  you need an Volvo truck.  Here's one I used to drive , diff lock worked superb in snow.

index.jpg.f35449d1431dde70b885b3ad7c53fdfe.jpg

Bloody hell that’s a biggun 😂

I would not want to be out in that in the snow!

In the golden olden days if you bought a 4x4 there was a diff lock and they did actually have 4 wheel drive, then 4X4s became desirable and purely road driven and so manufactures saved some dosh leaving off the the very things that made it a 4X4

It did have some auto replacement thing on it (not esp it was something else I can’t remember what) and it did work to reasonable degree, I never got stuck in muddy fields but it wasn’t as good. I felt conned but it’s my fault for paying more attention when I bought it, I was more focused on getting a running board so I could get in and out without flashing my knickers to the world 😂

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, boboneleg said:

What van do you have Fred, we've got a Transit in work with auto box, it's an absolute peach to drive.

Long wheelbase VW Transporter Bob, During the first lockdown i was working in Llanelli, the M4 was empty so i ramped the cruise control up to 100mph and left it there, didn't touch the accelerator or brake pedal from Cardiff to port Talbot never been able to do that before LOL,  The van was totally stable and cruised effortlessly, Vans have come a long way from when i first started working.

• Like 2

On 01/03/2022 at 01:43, Sir Fallsalot said:

Don't leave it in drive you can down shift an auto manually and it stays in that gear. I used to go down some real steep stuff in my Toyota surf purely on engine braking no problem 

It's not enough on the new Hiluxes. You put it in low range and manually down shift and you still don't get the engine braking you need

• Like 3

On 28/02/2022 at 18:16, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The hilux has manual shift and low range but still don't get enough engine braking for the gnarly stuff. Not like cruising down a mountain in an old landcruiser in first or second gear.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

The hilux has manual shift and low range but still don't get enough engine braking for the gnarly stuff. Not like cruising down a mountain in an old landcruiser in first or second gear.

You peo[le are doing it wrong, country boys use the "georgia overdrive" feature every transmission comes with, its the "N" gear, they all call it that, i dunno why....

😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 28/02/2022 at 20:57, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Did losing semi-automatic bother you when you bought it? And have you tried it out this CVT thing in mountainous areas? Does it work?

I’m only asking cos I had a brown trouser moment when driving through flood waters and some manic (who could see I was already halfway through it) decided to come from the opposite direction, I had no choice but to move left, I felt the rear side of the car drop down the embankment. I looked down for the diff lock to discover there wasn’t one 😬💩  

never had an automatic before so can't really compare ( though have driven plenty of autos with flappy ears or tiptronic boxes but couldn;t really see the point. 

I CAN see the point howevr if you're gettting into 4WD and diff lock situations where I wouldn't want an automatic at all. I haven't yet driven the CVT in a mountainous region so can't say how effective it is, except that wth the hybrid version, the electric motor recuperates energy from the wheels to recharge the batteries which makes the engine braking more apparent than most auto boxes. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MooN said:

never had an automatic before so can't really compare ( though have driven plenty of autos with flappy ears or tiptronic boxes but couldn;t really see the point. 

I CAN see the point howevr if you're gettting into 4WD and diff lock situations where I wouldn't want an automatic at all. I haven't yet driven the CVT in a mountainous region so can't say how effective it is, except that wth the hybrid version, the electric motor recuperates energy from the wheels to recharge the batteries which makes the engine braking more apparent than most auto boxes. 

What do you reckon on the Hybrid? I ask because my missus should be picking up a new Yaris Cross fairly soon. We went with the 4WD version as there's no 2WD versions available until the middle of the year!

On 01/03/2022 at 14:03, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Bloody hell that’s a biggun 😂

It wasn’t that big after he was finished with it.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Grace (BikeHedonia) said:

Cant speak for the newer Hilux this was my old wagon and in low range the auto box would hold you at crawling pace down anything other than vertical

Image005.jpg.99293f202bfb03523f8cab13e640c4fe.jpg 

• Like 2