Merry Christmas!!

Sofia

Would like to wish you all a very lovely time, with lots of good things and, above all, love, a lot of love! 

This is not an easy time for me now, like for so many that have suffered loss along the way. They say grief is the love we carry and will not be able to give to those that left to early and I carry some of that love.

Christmas, in the caos that was my childhood, was normally a very nice time!! Not because of the presents, I never did get that medical kit I asked Santa many years in a row, but spending many 24th and 25th of December together with the Army "family" was a lot of fun!! My Dad was on duty many years and the cute little girl that I was loved running around the Regiment and the Officers Mess, softening the hearts of the hard man, not used to a cheeky, non stop talking, mischievous small person!! They taught me that hard can be soft, that loyal is more important then novelty, that family is not necessarily defined by genetics. 

I loved Christmas the most in the UK, because its free from all the Catholic obligations, its very funny, with the crackers and the paper crowns, the burning puddings and the grannies drunken on Port!! Its all so special and funny for a non British person!! 

My older brother, a special needs child, was absolutely in Love with everything Christmas and I was fortunate to share the British Christmas with him while I lived in the UK. His happiness with the paper crown on his head while he opened his presents is a cherished memory I will carry forever!! He was, on paper 11 years older then me, but he stopped growing mentally at 10 years old, so the eternal child that, in a way, always believed in Santa, for Christmas or other wise. We lost him 6 years ago and with him went that joy that only children impart in this very special time of the year.

In the past, I have channeled his love for all Christmas things via cooking and normally get busy baking fruit cakes and mince pies, all from Nigella Lawson recipes, the true Goddess, and surprise the Portuguese with these "exotic" foods with a depth of flavour not typical here. This year I didn't do said backing and I'm now really regretting it, I have realised I miss it and I need to do it double next year!! 

I find the best thing to do when we miss someone at these special times is to honour them by giving all that stored love to as many people as possible, as far reaching as possible, so here goes lots of love to you all!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Sofia said:

Would like to wish you all a very lovely time, with lots of good things and, above all, love, a lot of love! 

This is not an easy time for me now, like for so many that have suffered loss along the way. They say grief is the love we carry and will not be able to give to those that left to early and I carry some of that love.

Christmas, in the caos that was my childhood, was normally a very nice time!! Not because of the presents, I never did get that medical kit I asked Santa many years in a row, but spending many 24th and 25th of December together with the Army "family" was a lot of fun!! My Dad was on duty many years and the cute little girl that I was loved running around the Regiment and the Officers Mess, softening the hearts of the hard man, not used to a cheeky, non stop talking, mischievous small person!! They taught me that hard can be soft, that loyal is more important then novelty, that family is not necessarily defined by genetics. 

I loved Christmas the most in the UK, because its free from all the Catholic obligations, its very funny, with the crackers and the paper crowns, the burning puddings and the grannies drunken on Port!! Its all so special and funny for a non British person!! 

My older brother, a special needs child, was absolutely in Love with everything Christmas and I was fortunate to share the British Christmas with him while I lived in the UK. His happiness with the paper crown on his head while he opened his presents is a cherished memory I will carry forever!! He was, on paper 11 years older then me, but he stopped growing mentally at 10 years old, so the eternal child that, in a way, always believed in Santa, for Christmas or other wise. We lost him 6 years ago and with him went that joy that only children impart in this very special time of the year.

In the past, I have channeled his love for all Christmas things via cooking and normally get busy baking fruit cakes and mince pies, all from Nigella Lawson recipes, the true Goddess, and surprise the Portuguese with these "exotic" foods with a depth of flavour not typical here. This year I didn't do said backing and I'm now really regretting it, I have realised I miss it and I need to do it double next year!! 

I find the best thing to do when we miss someone at these special times is to honour them by giving all that stored love to as many people as possible, as far reaching as possible, so here goes lots of love to you all!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! 

Merry Christmas 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buckster said:

I’m going to kill Santa.

What has he done? Oh, I know, Doesn't use an Harley to deliver presents!!! 

With comments like that, the TOTY is going your way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Buckster said:

“Santa” will be doing the rounds tonight and loads of kids will be out on the streets so we won’t be seeing @Six30.

by out on the streets.... you mean waiting at bus stops... that explains why your working

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Sofia said:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! 

That’s lovely Sofia. Lovely and sad. 
I adore your bright side. 
Merry Crimbo 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

Merry Xmas Sofia, I sometimes wonder if you're more British than some of us that were born here :classic_laugh:

I think I am, although @Pedro is trying very hard to change that so I dont feel so disconnected here, in no man´s land, its not a fun place to be! 

• Like 2

My son reminded me earlier that on Christmas Day I hook kicked my mums dog in the face! I forgot all about it, she has a rescue dog thats got a nasty side and when my son broke into a run down the hallway it started growling and baring its teeth before launching into a run after my boy- it wasnt going to end well. The shock stopped it in its tracks. Feel a bit bad about it now but what you gonna do?

She had one of those DNA tests done on it and its part Staffie, part Vizsla, part Rottweiler and part Doberman. Cant imagine a worse combo, reckon I got off lightly! 

rabid matthew broderick GIF

And its called Bonnie 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

My son reminded me earlier that on Christmas Day I hook kicked my mums dog in the face! I forgot all about it, she has a rescue dog thats got a nasty side and when my son broke into a run down the hallway it started growling and baring its teeth before launching into a run after my boy- it wasnt going to end well. The shock stopped it in its tracks. Feel a bit bad about it now but what you gonna do?

She had one of those DNA tests done on it and its part Staffie, part Vizsla, part Rottweiler and part Doberman. Cant imagine a worse combo, reckon I got off lightly! 

And its called Bonnie 😂 

Sounds like my second wife.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

And its called Bonnie 😂 

strewth it's old mother must have got around a bit 😉

13 minutes ago, skyrider said:

strewth it's old mother must have got around a bit 😉

I think it was a deliberate mix to get an interesting fighting dog. It was only a small puppy when my mum got it but it was already screwed up. I suspect there were other dogs in the litter that showed more fighting potential and they ditched the rest. Animal cruelty makes me fume beyond reason, I could quite easily enjoy the cruelty they inflict being inflicted on the perpetrator! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I think it was a deliberate mix to get an interesting fighting dog. It was only a small puppy when my mum got it but it was already screwed up. I suspect there were other dogs in the litter that showed more fighting potential and they ditched the rest. Animal cruelty makes me fume beyond reason, I could quite easily enjoy the cruelty they inflict being inflicted on the perpetrator! 

yep that would be an idea 

• Like 1