What didn't you like at first and now wouldn't go without?

Pedro

I have never been interested in helmet intercoms, I used to tour with my girlfriend without intercoms, she would navigate and we would either talk loudly when needed or just stop if the conversation demanded it. I used to think it was quite interesting to see the different things each of us noticed on the same trip, usually noticing completely different details on the same ride.

Starting to ride more and more on week days I found myself loosing a few work calls, getting off the bike to find lost calls and then calling people back, sometimes not getting through and they'd then call back when I was back on the motorway was annoying. I got a quad lock  and an in-helmet intercom and although the intercom isn't good enough to maintain a conversation on the motorway, I can answer a call when on country roads and the caller wouldn't know I'm on the bike, the phone on the handlebar means I can easily see who is calling.

Now, after I spent years disregarding intercoms and music while on the bike, I wouldn't go back to not having the phone on the handlebar and listening to music on the helmet, I don't do it always but probably more than not.

What did you at first thought wouldn't appeal to you that after trying you would not give up?

• Like 2

Sat Nav/GPS was something I wasn't particulary interested in years ago but now I wouldn't be without one.  By using the GPS I have found so many cool roads/trails that would be much harder to find just using a map.   I still carry a map with me for a larger overview but the GPS pinpoints exactly where you are and the quickest or the best route to where you're going.

• Like 3

Just now, boboneleg said:

Sat Nav/GPS was something I wasn't particulary interested in years ago but now I wouldn't be without one.  By using the GPS I have found so many cool roads/trails that would be much harder to find just using a map.   I still carry a map with me for a larger overview but the GPS pinpoints exactly where you are and the quickest or the best route to where you're going.

I love google maps to search for which roads to take while out there. Not exactly using it for step by step navigation but more like a paper map that you can zoom into with a built in compass. For traveling longer distances and motorways, waze is useful to have running in the background because it'll warn you of speed traps even if you're not using it for navigation.

• Like 2

An Intercom is something i'm interested in but wont buy because music has a huge influence on the way i ride i just cant afford to lose my licence because a good track comes on :classic_laugh:
For me its got to be heated grips its the difference between staying out or going home. I remember the first time i got to use them it was on the XR riding a mountain road in freezing fog i could see my mate in front reaching back to his silencer to warm his hand just as i was turning my heated grips to the low setting as my hands were getting a bit hot :classic_laugh:

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Google Maps on the phone if I'm going somewhere I'm unfamiliar with.

I still manage to get lost though.......always been the same!

thats cause every where you go looks the fucking same ....

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

An Intercom is something i'm interested in but wont buy because music has a huge influence on the way i ride i just cant afford to lose my licence because a good track comes on :classic_laugh:
For me its got to be heated grips its the difference between staying out or going home. I remember the first time i got to use them it was on the XR riding a mountain road in freezing fog i could see my mate in front reaching back to his silencer to warm his hand just as i was turning my heated grips to the low setting as my hands were getting a bit hot :classic_laugh:

Bugger, I forgot about heated grips.  They're the first thing I fit when I get a new bike 👍

• Like 3

Hate coms. Have had them since near the beginning and hate the interruption. Honestly who cant wait an hour for a call back? 
Yes business wise the first to respond gets the business but theres a line to be drawn between peace n quiet and the quality of service you can provide once youve had a rest. 

Used them reluctantly but religiously while Mr G was new to riding but not once on our ride to Southern Spain, just agreed when n how to stop if we got split up and everything was dandy.. nice n quiet n dandy. So no not a fan. I like the silence being occasionally disturbed by the engine noise and the quiet lulls inbetween. 

• Like 5

I was also the same about the OS maps for finding the green lanes i ride, used to dismiss the electronic devices and say a paper map was all i needed but using the same maps on my phone makes the ride go so much smoother, only a few U turns now. But i do feel i have lost a skill and rely on the device too much i used to enjoy plotting a route and using paper maps

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I was also the same about the OS maps for finding the green lanes i ride, used to dismiss the electronic devices and say a paper map was all i needed but using the same maps on my phone makes the ride go so much smoother, only a few U turns now. But i do feel i have lost a skill and rely on the device too much i used to enjoy plotting a route and using paper maps

I plot routes on my PC and then transfer them to the GPS, I find that helps when you're riding as well as you can remember (some ) of what's coming rather than just going in blind.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I plot routes on my PC and then transfer them to the GPS, I find that helps when you're riding as well as you can remember (some ) of what's coming rather than just going in blind.

I do the same as well its real easy perhaps that's why i liked the paper maps as it was more challenging plotting and riding the route. A lot of people couldn't do it  

• Like 2

On 30/10/2021 at 12:54, Sir Fallsalot said:

I do the same as well its real easy perhaps that's why i liked the paper maps as it was more challenging plotting and riding the route. A lot of people couldn't do it  

Look what I found yesterday @Sir Fallsalot

IMG_7891.thumb.JPG.efa5178d2ac73447477b039d7131fd46.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, XTreme said:

You're gonna start them off again now Bob! 

What you can't see in the picture I posted today is all the stuff crammed into my top box that I was transferring to the new house. 😉😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2