What didn't you like at first and now wouldn't go without?

Pedro

On 29/10/2021 at 16:13, Pedro said:

I have never been interested in helmet intercoms, I used to tour with my girlfriend without intercoms, she would navigate and we would either talk loudly when needed or just stop if the conversation demanded it. I used to think it was quite interesting to see the different things each of us noticed on the same trip, usually noticing completely different details on the same ride.

Starting to ride more and more on week days I found myself loosing a few work calls, getting off the bike to find lost calls and then calling people back, sometimes not getting through and they'd then call back when I was back on the motorway was annoying. I got a quad lock  and an in-helmet intercom and although the intercom isn't good enough to maintain a conversation on the motorway, I can answer a call when on country roads and the caller wouldn't know I'm on the bike, the phone on the handlebar means I can easily see who is calling.

Now, after I spent years disregarding intercoms and music while on the bike, I wouldn't go back to not having the phone on the handlebar and listening to music on the helmet, I don't do it always but probably more than not.

What did you at first thought wouldn't appeal to you that after trying you would not give up?

The same, intercom.  For the music, for the phone calls and to enhance shared experiences. 

• Like 2

Not bike related but AutoCAD, I never thought I'd prefer it to my drawing board, blue pencil, Rotring ink pen, scalpel, set squares, chalk powder, swishy brush, stencils, compasses, french curves, trammels, scale rules, Letraset, masking tape, magic tape and all the other stuff needed, but it's definitely a labour saver.....until you get a power cut or the server has a turn of course.

I must scan my joke Polo Mint Prototype drawing I made and post it up (with notes such as "one in 10,000 mints to be sucked to destruction for testing purposes")

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Not bike related but AutoCAD, I never thought I'd prefer it to my drawing board, blue pencil, Rotring ink pen, scalpel, set squares, chalk powder, swishy brush, stencils, compasses, french curves, trammels, scale rules, Letraset, masking tape, magic tape and all the other stuff needed, but it's definitely a labour saver.....until you get a power cut or the server has a turn of course.

I must scan my joke Polo Mint Prototype drawing I made and post it up (with notes such as "one in 10,000 mints to be sucked to destruction for testing purposes")

I Dont Get It The Office GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, yen_powell said:

We went off AutoCad to Draftsight because it was free but a few years later they started to charge for it, It cost £70 a year per licence now. i only use it for simple electrical drawings none of that fancy shit you do 
Simple shit like this
image.png.8ad9462aa73532000cf8c5a48ede124b.png

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

We went off AutoCad to Draftsight because it was free but a few years later they started to charge for it, It cost £70 a year per licence now. i only use it for simple electrical drawings none of that fancy shit you do 
Simple shit like this
image.png.8ad9462aa73532000cf8c5a48ede124b.png

Did you lean on the keyboard when you did the site name????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember in the '80's stopping my truck in Caerphilly (first time there) and asking an old dear how to get to Ystrad Mynach, the old dear just looked at me like I was an alien and walking off tutting and shaking her head   :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I remember in the '80's stopping my truck in Caerphilly (first time there) and asking an old dear how to get to Ystrad Mynach, the old dear just looked at me like I was an alien and walking off tutting and shaking her head   :classic_laugh:

I had similar years ago trying to find a place called Eglwyswrw funny thing is i could pronounce it properly as soon as i was put right it's pronounced something like this egg-lis-oo-roo!

• Like 2

I can still recall my shock at hearing Welsh spoken in the flesh rather than on TV at 5am on a Sunday in the 80s. It was two children about 8 or 9 years old running around a ruined castle. It wasn't a pay to get in, manned castle, it was a free for all. I'd been busy trying to get inside a fenced off tower which had no centre and only the stubs of a spiral staircase sticking out of the inner walls. I was halfway up and near a ruined window when I saw them running about and chatting away to each other. There was no one else about so they weren't putting it on for my benefit.

Anyway, I found myself at the top of the tower and realised that getting back down was quite daunting with only a wall to lean against. When I emerged a pale shadow of my formerly brave self the kids had long gone.

A few years later I was in a chip shop in somewhere (Pembroke Dock??) with a woman in front of me. About 6 or 7 of Wales's finest well built youth stuck their head in the door and shouted something at the woman, possibly in Welsh, their diction wasn't the best. She muttered something back and one of them shouted at her, "Fuck off back to England you Cockney cow!" Right then the shop owner asked me what I wanted and I did my best to have any accent except a London one.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, yen_powell said:

I can still recall my shock at hearing Welsh spoken in the flesh rather than on TV at 5am on a Sunday in the 80s. It was two children about 8 or 9 years old running around a ruined castle. It wasn't a pay to get in, manned castle, it was a free for all. I'd been busy trying to get inside a fenced off tower which had no centre and only the stubs of a spiral staircase sticking out of the inner walls. I was halfway up and near a ruined window when I saw them running about and chatting away to each other. There was no one else about so they weren't putting it on for my benefit.

Anyway, I found myself at the top of the tower and realised that getting back down was quite daunting with only a wall to lean against. When I emerged a pale shadow of my formerly brave self the kids had long gone.

A few years later I was in a chip shop in somewhere (Pembroke Dock??) with a woman in front of me. About 6 or 7 of Wales's finest well built youth stuck their head in the door and shouted something at the woman, possibly in Welsh, their diction wasn't the best. She muttered something back and one of them shouted at her, "Fuck off back to England you Cockney cow!" Right then the shop owner asked me what I wanted and I did my best to have any accent except a London one.

Which turn in to the best east end gangster accent you've ever heard and everyone shit themselves?

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I had similar years ago trying to find a place called Eglwyswrw funny thing is i could pronounce it properly as soon as i was put right it's pronounced something like this egg-lis-oo-roo!

Egg-lewis-oo-roo might be better Fred. 

• Like 2