Book Club - What are you reading at the moment?

Grasshopper

40 minutes ago, MooN said:

spacer.png

Brrrr that looks moving... and utterly incomprehensible to anyone not fluent in french 😂

Read an article in the paper yesterday by an 84yr old man who’s worked for the guardian newspaper his entire life and recently the man in charge of the archives sent him ads from 1938 placed by German and Austrian people advertising their children with things like “Kind home wanted for educated well behaved son. He is fluent in German and English, please can you help” 

He was one of those adverts, he’d heard thats what his parents and many others had done in desperation to save their children but never seen it. So he set about finding others from the ads. It was incredibly moving, they all responded with the same shock he’d had at being faced with what their parents had to do to save their children. The Guardian was seen at the time as an intellectual and sympathetic paper and ended up with dedicated pages helping to rehome children with on knock effect saving many of the parents too (the foster parents found paid work for the parents and that was an official way out of Germany). Then the kinder transport scheme went into action and the UK took in and placed 10,000 children. Quite amazing and completely horrifying. 

• Like 2

"Le Reseau Marcel" was originally written in English, but it was bought for me in French by my mother in law.  Itis an incredible (true) story of Moussa Abadi, a Syrien jew and his french catholic wife who between them, and with the help of numerous others, saved 527 jewish children from the concentration camps. I have just go to the part where Odette ( Moussa's wife) is interned in Auschwitz. She avoided death because she was a nurse and volonteered to help in the "hospital" which was, in fact Dr Mengele's experimentation lab... the absolute pure and unadulterated horror of it is very, very clear.  The book as a whole is a striking example of normal people taking extraordinary risks to do what they know to be right and just, whatever the cost.   Not however, a book for the faint hearted. 

• Like 3

Started The Three Musketeers, got into the third line and fell asleep, then went on a motorcycle ride, and three weeks later just realized I left the book at home, I'll pick it up within less than a week from now. It might take a while at this pace...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MooN said:

"Le Reseau Marcel" was originally written in English, but it was bought for me in French by my mother in law.  Itis an incredible (true) story of Moussa Abadi, a Syrien jew and his french catholic wife who between them, and with the help of numerous others, saved 527 jewish children from the concentration camps. I have just go to the part where Odette ( Moussa's wife) is interned in Auschwitz. She avoided death because she was a nurse and volonteered to help in the "hospital" which was, in fact Dr Mengele's experimentation lab... the absolute pure and unadulterated horror of it is very, very clear.  The book as a whole is a striking example of normal people taking extraordinary risks to do what they know to be right and just, whatever the cost.   Not however, a book for the faint hearted. 

Sounds an amazing read. Can’t find it in English though, does it have a different title?

On 08/05/2021 at 18:35, XTreme said:

What did I say earlier? This is a tough audience!

Though I do have a suspicion that @yen_powell might read books......cos he's very knowledgeable on graveyards and Victorian toilets! 

I'm currently reading the Mondo Enduro book (got the dvd second hand as well last week), The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (re-reading, about my 10th time) and finally trying to read The Perpetual Astonishment of Jonathan fairfax by Christopher Shevlin, but I am getting bored with that. I usually have a few books on the go and swap about.

• Like 1

Just now, yen_powell said:

I'm currently reading the Mondo Enduro book (got the dvd second hand as well last week), The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (re-reading, about my 10th time) and finally trying to read The Perpetual Astonishment of Jonathan fairfax by Christopher Shevlin, but I am getting bored with that. I usually have a few books on the go and swap about.

Marvel Avengers GIF

@MooN this one was suggested reading today. Its well reviewed and I think it might be up your street, only £3.60 and you can get a sample to ty before you buy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M9B6Q9G/?coliid=I19YVKKMME94QY&colid=14JWWHWX4FQ9O&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im

D4721B3C-427A-42BF-8988-2FBA920B902D.thumb.jpeg.062833f6f07235cf8bdffc133696632d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/05/2021 at 23:27, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Sounds an amazing read. Can’t find it in English though, does it have a different title?

Dunno, try searching for Fred Coleman the Author

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

@MooN this one was suggested reading today. Its well reviewed and I think it might be up your street, only £3.60 and you can get a sample to ty before you buy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M9B6Q9G/?coliid=I19YVKKMME94QY&colid=14JWWHWX4FQ9O&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im

D4721B3C-427A-42BF-8988-2FBA920B902D.thumb.jpeg.062833f6f07235cf8bdffc133696632d.jpeg

oooh thanks, I might have to try that.  I have followed the various adventures of Colebatch riding that part of the world which has only served to fuel my desire to go there one day. 

• Like 1

A book Pete might like is Who Sent Clement. Right up your street by Keith A Pearson.

A bloke who died in the early 70s turns up to help a girl in modern Britain out when she is in trouble. He's still wearing the same clothes and doesn't even know himself how he got there. It was so good that I then read the two sequels and I believe there is a fourth out that I need to read. I think the best bit I enjoyed was when she takes him to a 70s theme night at the local pub.

17 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

A book Pete might like is Who Sent Clement. Right up your street by Keith A Pearson.

A bloke who died in the early 70s turns up to help a girl in modern Britain out when she is in trouble. He's still wearing the same clothes and doesn't even know himself how he got there. It was so good that I then read the two sequels and I believe there is a fourth out that I need to read. I think the best bit I enjoyed was when she takes him to a 70s theme night at the local pub.

Yes.....that's my type of thing for sure!

But I'll need a TV series or film.

8 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Yes.....that's my type of thing for sure!

But I'll need a TV series or film.

Yeah, sorry, there are no pictures in the book. I can see it being made into a drama though.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Yeah, sorry, there are no pictures in the book. I can see it being made into a drama though.

I'm not a sci-fi buff......no interest whatsoever.

But anything to do with Time Travel and I'm very interested.

It stems from seeing "The Time Machine" with Rod Taylor in the early 60's......and it's always stayed with me.

12 minutes ago, XTreme said:

It stems from seeing "The Time Machine" with Rod Taylor in the early 60's......and it's always stayed with me.

Cracking film.

1 minute ago, Catteeclan said:

Cracking film.

That was the definitive film for the genre.

All the ones since (and TV progs) always seem to revolve around stopping JFK getting shot.

Dos Equis Reaction GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, XTreme said:

That was the definitive film for the genre.

All the ones since (and TV progs) always seem to revolve around stopping JFK getting shot.

Dos Equis Reaction GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

The film Looper is good.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

The film Looper is good.

Yes I saw that some years ago.....but it was one of those that gets too sci-fi.

I prefer the more psychological ones......the best example I've seen was Life on Mars, though it was a TV programme obviously.

Another one of my alltime favourites was Adam Adamant Lives from 1966.

Can you believe the BBC idiots wiped most of the tapes from the series so they no longer exist?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yen_powell said:

I liked the original Randall and Hopkirk deceased, and also strangely, the remake by Reeves and Mortimer.

Remakes never work though Yen!

8 hours ago, XTreme said:

Remakes never work though Yen!

That is usually true, makes my blood boil when they do it mostly as the original is usually still better than the remakes, But I stand by the Randall and Hopkirk remake, especially the addition of the Tom Baker character.

• Like 1