Book Club - What are you reading at the moment?

Grasshopper

2 hours ago, yen_powell said:

That is usually true, makes my blood boil when they do it mostly as the original is usually still better than the remakes, But I stand by the Randall and Hopkirk remake, especially the addition of the Tom Baker character.

Remember that awful Avengers movie? :classic_laugh:

14 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Remember that awful Avengers movie? :classic_laugh:

Didn't watch it, wasn't really a fan of the original series either. I liked Danger Man better with Patrick Mcgoohan. Not so keen on The Prisoner which came later though.

I also like the early black and white Saint series with Roger Moore. It went a bit downhill when it went to colour.

Here's a quiz question for you. Why did the author of the Saint books Leslie Charteris get refused permanent American residency for many years? It's a shocking answer.

6 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Why did the author of the Saint books Leslie Charteris get refused permanent American residency for many years? It's a shocking answer.

You got me on that!

3 hours ago, yen_powell said:

That is usually true, makes my blood boil when they do it mostly as the original is usually still better than the remakes, But I stand by the Randall and Hopkirk remake, especially the addition of the Tom Baker character.

DR WHO

10 hours ago, XTreme said:

You got me on that!

He was more than 50% Chinese, his real name was Leslie Charles Bowyer-Yin. America had something called the Chinese Exclusion Act which was to stop immigration of Chinese labourers. Although the act was repealed in the 30s, other blocks stopped large scale immigration till the mid 60s. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skyrider said:

DR WHO

Anything after Tom Baker was slightly downhill. Between then and Sylvester McCoy was okayish, that bloke killed it. I did hear it had started again, but that is probably just a rumour.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, yen_powell said:

Anything after Tom Baker was slightly downhill. Between then and Sylvester McCoy was okayish, that bloke killed it. I did hear it had started again, but that is probably just a rumour.

John pertwee  was the best DR WHO

11 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

I always see Margaret Rutherford when I look at John Pertwee. He was my first Doctor Who, I missed the previous two (three if you count Peter Cushing).

I watched it when it started with William Hartnell!

We all had toy Daleks back then!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Finished Hunter S Thompsons Hells Angels about a month ago and what a relief that was, tedious and repetitive. Gave some interesting insights but not worth trudging through it for them. The book flip flops between saying they’re not the violent criminals theyre portrayed to be but yes they are violent and criminal, an angry underclass of misfits born into bad circumstances and nowhere else to belong. It proceeds along those lines for many many pages simultaneously sympathising with them and then pointing at them like theyre trash. 

I can see why Sonny Barger didnt think a lot of it but if you have an interest in that type of club culture you might like it, it wasnt for me, cant remember the last time it took me so long to finish reading a book. Next up another book Ive avoided reading ‘Long way round’ by the much maligned Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

an angry underclass of misfits born into bad circumstances and nowhere else to belong.

Sounds a bit like this place really!

Easy Rider Yes GIF

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Finished Hunter S Thompsons Hells Angels about a month ago and what a relief that was, tedious and repetitive. Gave some interesting insights but not worth trudging through it for them. The book flip flops between saying they’re not the violent criminals theyre portrayed to be but yes they are violent and criminal, an angry underclass of misfits born into bad circumstances and nowhere else to belong. It proceeds along those lines for many many pages simultaneously sympathising with them and then pointing at them like theyre trash. 

I can see why Sonny Barger didnt think a lot of it but if you have an interest in that type of club culture you might like it, it wasnt for me, cant remember the last time it took me so long to finish reading a book. Next up another book Ive avoided reading ‘Long way round’ by the much maligned Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor.

Race to Dakar by Charlie Boorman is an interesting read once you get to the part where he gets injured and it switches to the support rider's story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Six30 said:

or Slowfuckymonkey and her flower thread .

Aw three15 come on now, this is an embracing thread for all abilities, it doesnt matter if your on book level one or are only able to manage the Beano your review will be laughed at valued. How was Spiderman?

1C224B7E-F4E2-43CF-93E5-A4B58D25701D.jpeg.fdc4cf29ba8aa17acfa6094cee7dd186.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Aw three15 come on now, this is an embracing thread for all abilities, it doesnt matter if your on book level one or are only able to manage the Beano your review will be laughed at valued. How was Spiderman?

1C224B7E-F4E2-43CF-93E5-A4B58D25701D.jpeg.fdc4cf29ba8aa17acfa6094cee7dd186.jpeg

suggest you read yours again ..remember there is no rush , so the bits you dont understand just read again...

image.png.831fc3039e6f85ec605c47976a588c73.png

8 minutes ago, Six30 said:

suggest you read yours again ..remember there is no rush , so the bits you dont understand just read again...

image.png.831fc3039e6f85ec605c47976a588c73.png

If it produces witty banter like  “or Slowfuckymonkey and her flower thread.” its a must read. I’m guessing if you know about it it must be available on audible?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If it produces witty banter like  “or Slowfuckymonkey and her flower thread.” its a must read. I’m guessing if you know about it it must be available on audible?

just go read it .

10 minutes ago, Six30 said:

just go read it .

Only if you promise Ill be reduced to a monosyllabic knuckle dragger who regularly manages the unadulterated simplicity of statements like “gay” or “twat” or does that requires the book/icepick lobotomy package?

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

17 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Only if you promise Ill be reduced to a monosyllabic knuckle dragger who regularly manages the unadulterated simplicity of statements like “gay” or “twat” or does that requires the book/icepick lobotomy package?

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

Lesbo

• Haha 1