Book Club - What are you reading at the moment?

Grasshopper

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Two syllables!

Sarcastic Clap GIF by buzzfeedladylike

He's struggling with his trolling these days......maybe it's time for him to move onto a different internet persona?

• Haha 1

Reading one of my mate's books, The Book of Titie. He flies out somewhere, buys a bike and travels around looking at natural history museums, memorials and bars. Interesting and amusing. Well worth trying one of the kindle versions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B6S5MVY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_BM896AKWM64NPYFR0RB4

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

This ones non motorcycle fiction book written in a very lyrical style and even has a bit of poetry chucked in every now and then. Not being a practical or real life rendition of events its really not my cup of tea except its descriptions of nature are so well done its lovely. Most of its written in an American accent (well thats what I can hear) and its definitely off piste for this place (no offence mouth breathers) but I couldn’t not mention it because when I read it I thought  @Grasshopper's Ride would like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Crawdads-Sing-Delia-Owens/dp/1472154665

517694DD-B9D3-4170-B98E-837A5C946563.jpeg.987961e0047ccc0591d44652c8d1ee3d.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

This ones non motorcycle fiction book written in a very lyrical style and even has a bit of poetry chucked in every now and then. Not being a practical or real life rendition of events its really not my cup of tea except its descriptions of nature are so well done its lovely. Most of its written in an American accent (well thats what I can hear) and its definitely off piste for this place (no offence mouth breathers) but I couldn’t not mention it because when I read it I thought  @Grasshopper's Ride would like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Crawdads-Sing-Delia-Owens/dp/1472154665

517694DD-B9D3-4170-B98E-837A5C946563.jpeg.987961e0047ccc0591d44652c8d1ee3d.jpeg

Thanks for the recommendation, I have to say that does sound good.

I love books that have a celebration of nature, or just lots of it. 🌿🙂

I was going to share this on here before but got shy about it, but now that we are talking about nature and books......:wave:

I just finished reading, The Singing Wilderness by Sigurd Olson

Great book if you like nature, it is a bit older, written in the 50's.....but I really liked it, and want to go fly fishing now.....😆

https://www.amazon.ca/Singing-Wilderness-Sigurd-F-Olson/dp/0816629927/ref=asc_df_0816629927/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292961595591&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14679134430438751452&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001444&hvtargid=pla-493443267273&psc=1

brad pitt film GIF

415TV8TMGEL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Currently I am reading Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat 

Love it so far, I can see why it is such a popular classic. 🙂

Everything I do lately seems to lead me to the North..... ❄️

Snow Winter GIF

I was in Canada when I saw jumbo sized snow flakes. I thought I must be hallucinating! Over here snow is tiny little dots there’s not a discernible snowflake pattern to be seen so Id always assumed the beauty was microscopic but these unbelievable individual flakes up to 3cm in size were falling fast, so so beautiful. I hesitate to use this word because it’s sounds over the top but I was awestruck. 

I couldn’t move, I was stuck to the spot just staring, it was incomprehensible to me, then it fell so fast it became a complete white out, there was no land or sky to orientate you, you knew your feet were on the ground but it didn’t feel that way, it gave you a dizzy floating effect, brilliant and very surreal.. and very cold!

Do you ever get those big snowflakes where you are?

• Like 2

@Grasshopper's Ride Im missing my book now its finished (the descriptions of nature were so good youre completely there) and haven’t landed on a satisfactory next book yet so your recommendations are gladly received. Im half way through ‘Island of Mercy’ by Rose Tremain and its ok, where the Crawdads sing is just too hard an act to follow so I downloaded ‘Leathered a life taken to extremes on and off the bike’ by John Hopkins, hopefully a different genre will cleanse the palate!

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B097XY63S3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

F1E377A0-CB54-41B5-8A4F-1CB1CDDF6238.jpeg.676a1af6142f45802b51268fb6ff9e4a.jpeg

You got shy, on here? Can’t imagine why 😂 

Savages Morray GIF by Graduation

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I was in Canada when I saw jumbo sized snow flakes. I thought I must be hallucinating! Over here snow is tiny little dots there’s not a discernible snowflake pattern to be seen so Id always assumed the beauty was microscopic but these unbelievable individual flakes up to 3cm in size were falling fast, so so beautiful. I hesitate to use this word because it’s sounds over the top but I was awestruck. 

I couldn’t move, I was stuck to the spot just staring, it was incomprehensible to me, then it fell so fast it became a complete white out, there was no land or sky to orientate you, you knew your feet were on the ground but it didn’t feel that way, it gave you a dizzy floating effect, brilliant and very surreal.. and very cold!

Do you ever get those big snowflakes where you are?

Yes, the snowflakes can get crazy big here.... ❄️🥰

I've lived with it all my life, but every year I am the same....just amazed at the beautiful of each snowflake. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

@Grasshopper's Ride Im missing my book now its finished (the descriptions of nature were so good youre completely there) and haven’t landed on a satisfactory next book yet so your recommendations are gladly received. Im half way through ‘Island of Mercy’ by Rose Tremain and its ok, where the Crawdads sing is just too hard an act to follow so I downloaded ‘Leathered a life taken to extremes on and off the bike’ by John Hopkins, hopefully a different genre will cleanse the palate!

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B097XY63S3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You got shy, on here? Can’t imagine why 😂 

I had the same thing happen after The Singing Wilderness, nothing would hold my attention.

Until Never Cry Wolf....I'm having a grand time reading it....

......well about the shy thing, in The Singing Wilderness the author describes fly fishing with such beauty that I wanted to try it some day, and well the last time someone mentioned fishing on here it didn't go well I recall..... 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

I had the same thing happen after The Singing Wilderness, nothing would hold my attention.

Until Never Cry Wolf....I'm having a grand time reading it....

......well about the shy thing, in The Singing Wilderness the author describes fly fishing with such beauty that I wanted to try it some day, and well the last time someone mentioned fishing on here it didn't go well I recall..... 😆

Hehehe. I tried it once, enjoyed it a lot, thought about getting the gear and going for it although that may have been driven by the idea of being able to down tools and disappear by simply leaving a note that says “Gone fishing” 😆 

Sound recommendations then. When I finish Leathered I shall pay The Singing Wilderness a visit.

• Like 2

I'm currently re reading my way through the Patrick OBrien collection  ( series of books the first of which was made into a dissapointing film "Master and Commander".)  possibly not of much interest unless interested in sailing aships and maritime history. though exceedingly well written. 

• Like 3

I just re-read Horned Pigeon and Maquis by George Millar, which is his WWII capture, escape and return to France as an SOE agent.

Next up is Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (who our road is named after). I've got The Little Prince by him to read too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tango said:

I just re-read Horned Pigeon and Maquis by George Millar, which is his WWII capture, escape and return to France as an SOE agent.

Next up is Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (who our road is named after). I've got The Little Prince by him to read too.

Blimey that a line up n a half!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Blimey that a line up n a half!

I go through periods where I'm reading all the time, then have a spell where I don't pick up a book for ages. I'm just coming out of one of those spells.

5 minutes ago, Tango said:

I go through periods where I'm reading all the time, then have a spell where I don't pick up a book for ages. I'm just coming out of one of those spells.

I usually have two books on the go at the same time just cos I bought a Kobo e-reader to avoid giving amazon my money then discovered I need a book on my phone as well so amazon get my money anyway! Then again I suppose its less than half what they were getting before so thats something.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I usually have two books on the go at the same time just cos I bought a Kobo e-reader to avoid giving amazon my money then discovered I need a book on my phone as well so amazon get my money anyway! Then again I suppose its less than half what they were getting before so thats something.

We had a cull of books before we came over here because we had just too many to bring with us. We've still got 2 bookcases worth, and I don't doubt the other bookcase will soon get filled! 

I've got a Kindle and the Kindle app on my tablet, but I just can't get into a book unless I've got it physically in my hand. The Kindle is good for holidays, but that's it as far as I'm concerned.  😉

1 hour ago, Tango said:

We had a cull of books before we came over here because we had just too many to bring with us. We've still got 2 bookcases worth, and I don't doubt the other bookcase will soon get filled! 

I've got a Kindle and the Kindle app on my tablet, but I just can't get into a book unless I've got it physically in my hand. The Kindle is good for holidays, but that's it as far as I'm concerned.  😉

Im the other way round, if I buy the physical book after a chapter or two Ill buy the e version and ditch the hard copy! But I read all over the place, in the car if Im not driving, if Im waiting somewhere, at breakfast, lunch or dinner if theres no-one at the table and at hideous functions Im obliged to go to (then Ill disappear for 20 mins or so once or twice to read my book in peace).

Im also more inclined to ditch a book Im not enjoying when its digital, a physical book makes me feel like I must plough on even if Im not enjoying it. I like that its back lit so you can fall asleep reading it without waking up at stupid o’clock because a lights still on.

Then finally my bookshelves are rammed and theres not even room for a pamphlet!

Hmm I sound like a right fanboy!

sad little girl GIF

• Haha 1