Book Club - What are you reading at the moment?

Grasshopper

I seem to be having an existential crisis in my reading habits and in some odd spirit of escapism am re reading the books I read as a child which all seem to be pre war or inter war adventure stories. All a little bit "Jeeves and Wooster" but mostly very well written. I haven't got desperate enough to re read my old copies of " Jennings" or " Biggles" but I just finished John Buchan's "The thirty nine steps" and have now started "The riddle of the sands" by Erskine Childers. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, MooN said:

I seem to be having an existential crisis in my reading habits and in some odd spirit of escapism am re reading the books I read as a child which all seem to be pre war or inter war adventure stories. All a little bit "Jeeves and Wooster" but mostly very well written. I haven't got desperate enough to re read my old copies of " Jennings" or " Biggles" but I just finished John Buchan's "The thirty nine steps" and have now started "The riddle of the sands" by Erskine Childers. 

Steve Coogan This Time GIF by Baby Cow

• Haha 2

On 05/02/2022 at 10:25, MooN said:

Nice. We all like a bit of derring-do!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Ignore the philistines @MooN so far they havent managed to contribute an actual book to the 'Book Club' thread.

Episode 12 Showtime GIF by Shameless 

Last book I read was for O Level English Literature in 1970.

Can't remember what it was though.....so it must have been some pompous, self indulgent bullshit.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Last book I read was for O Level English Literature in 1970.

Can't remember what it was though.....so it must have been some pompous, self indulgent bullshit.

hehehe yeh that'll be it a book thing you can't remember anything about 😂

Went out for a birthday lunch a couple of days ago and the discussion moved onto the latest television, most had seen the film Don't Look Up.

Someone I always rated for their dry humour and reserved nature said he knows why social media is the current shallow shit show it is.. "its because of reading, go back 100 years there was one newspaper and that was it, now there's far more reading and thats what leads to the trouble"

Oh dear, my sweet precious thing, you look good, you're a lot of fun but for gods sake only use your upper aperture for non talky stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just preordered this magazine subscription- just to keep ahead of the curve as far as computer/tech goes. Bit of a wait but hey ho… something to look forward to.

0002AD3B-B0F7-45BC-BCBE-CFF5818B4789.jpeg

• Haha 5