Your favourite sweets?

Slowlycatchymonkey

As previously mentioned I do like Parma Violets but Refreshers and Love Hearts also fit the bill.  The Violets thing for me became a thing in the family when we occasionally bought the kids one of those tubs with a variety of  sugary packs in them, nobody eat the violets apart from me so it became family lore that Dad like them exclusively, so much so that they actually buy them specifically for me.    I do like them but not to the exclusion of others things.  🤣

Nowadays I do buy a Caramac Bar if I see one, but not much else.   I also buy Fisherman's friends before choir practice.  They are a great way to clear the tubes before and during singing.   There are all sorts of sweets specifically designed for that purpose like Vocal Zones, Jakemans and others but nothing beats sucking a Fisherman's Friend.  Now there is a gift to all you 'Double Entendre' aficionados 😉

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

ps I don't mean anything that entices the OP into your vestry.

It's dim and distant memory but I think there is a line in the Kinks song 'Butterfly Collector' that fits that thought.   Something along the lines of 'Come with me and I will give you some Spangles!'   I am off to Spotify to see if my memory still works.  😉

• Haha 4

Flying saucers. Forgot about them. Used to love them. 

Parma violets I never bought but always had at Christmas because they were the sweets left over in the variety box that no-one else wanted so I have soft spot for those chalky perfumed lilac discs. 

I’m with Saul on the caramac, it’s one of the few I still buy along with bournville chocolate. Always think yuk this is too sweet but then buy it again anyway 😂

Used to love space dust and those little cardboard dice filled with powder. 

From the icecream van I liked those plastic cones that looked like upside down Darleks with the ball of chewing gum in the bottom. I think they were called screwballs?

Woolworths was the best place for pick and mix. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

it was much better if you grabbed a handful and scarpered out the back door (so I've been told ) 

• Haha 6

27 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

From the icecream van I liked those plastic cones that looked like upside down Darleks with the ball of chewing gum in the bottom. I think they were called screwballs?

Woolworths pick and mix was awesome. I used to love the coffee creams.  To die for.    😍
We have some Screwballs in the freezer now, fussy kids didn’t like them.  😟
We go to Farmfoods about once a month as they are well priced for the branded crap the wife and kids insist on.   🙁.   
The upside is they always have a good selection of sweets and the food you should walk by.   Pork Scratchins, Dandelion & Burdock, Strawberry Cream Soda, Fry’s mint cream, all the good bad stuff.  

• Like 2

Army and Navy's

Skittles

French Nougat (obviously)

Cadbury's Milk Chocolate buttons! My absolute favourite!

American Hard Gums or Wine gums

Snickers bars

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Saul said:

It's dim and distant memory but I think there is a line in the Kinks song 'Butterfly Collector' that fits that thought.   Something along the lines of 'Come with me and I will give you some Spangles!'   I am off to Spotify to see if my memory still works.  😉

It’s funny the way your mind works.   Been wracking my brain all day to remember that song.  It’s called Art Lover by the Kinks on the ‘Give the people what they want’  album from 1981.   Been listening to the Kinks all afternoon to find it.    Bloody enjoyed it but the song itself was much darker than I remember.     I do remember it being on the Juke box a lot and all of us singing along to “Come with me and I’ll give you some Spangles” line and laughing.   Suppose you see things differently when you’re 15.  😳

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Saul said:

As previously mentioned I do like Parma Violets but Refreshers and Love Hearts also fit the bill.  The Violets thing for me became a thing in the family when we occasionally bought the kids one of those tubs with a variety of  sugary packs in them, nobody eat the violets apart from me so it became family lore that Dad like them exclusively, so much so that they actually buy them specifically for me.    I do like them but not to the exclusion of others things.  🤣

Nowadays I do buy a Caramac Bar if I see one, but not much else.   I also buy Fisherman's friends before choir practice.  They are a great way to clear the tubes before and during singing.   There are all sorts of sweets specifically designed for that purpose like Vocal Zones, Jakemans and others but nothing beats sucking a Fisherman's Friend.  Now there is a gift to all you 'Double Entendre' aficionados 😉

I used to work for an insulation company which took us to all sorts of places. One being Roundtree mackintosh in Norwich. Got bored to tears with chocolate but not Caramac. It would be going past cooling on the conveyor belt and we were allowed to take what you wanted providing it wasn't already wrapped.
I had some recently and found it too sweet for me now, don't know if it's me or it's just sweeter now.

7 hours ago, Buckster said:

I’ve never lost the taste for liquorice. Panda is my go to brand these days.

Forgot about liquorice:classic_love:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4