Clean Boots

Saul

I know I am going to be accused of being boring or even gay or both but I came back from my Bimble today with filthy boots.  No biggie just going clean and waterproof them as normal but the bossy (middle) daughter got involved and told me I was doing it all wrong.  Of course equine riding boots/saddles/tack ect get much better care according to her.  So under her direction after wetting the boots I first used Oiled Saddle Soap.  Let that dry for 20 minutes buffed, then moved on to Leather balm which you apply and polish off like normal shoe polish.  Finished off with a rub with leather conditioner.    Apparently they will be waterproof after this, just need to repeat weekly.   I gotta say they do look, smell and feel nice, whether I ever do all of that again is debatable and I do have a sneaky feeling I am being set up to buy more product for her as all the tubs I used were nearly empty.    It looked like expensive German stuff to 😳   

Mind you I don't care, I get precious little time in her company so it was nice to do something together.  🙂👍

IMG_8339.jpg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Saul said:

I know I am going to be accused of being boring or even gay or both but I came back from my Bimble today with filthy boots.  No biggie just going clean and waterproof them as normal but the bossy (middle) daughter got involved and told me I was doing it all wrong.  Of course equine riding boots/saddles/tack ect get much better care according to her.  So under her direction after wetting the boots I first used Oiled Saddle Soap.  Let that dry for 20 minutes buffed, then moved on to Leather balm which you apply and polish off like normal shoe polish.  Finished off with a rub with leather conditioner.    Apparently they will be waterproof after this, just need to repeat weekly.   I gotta say they do look, smell and feel nice, whether I ever do all of that again is debatable and I do have a sneaky feeling I am being set up to buy more product for her as all the tubs I used were nearly empty.    It looked like expensive German stuff to 😳   

Mind you I don't care, I get precious little time in her company so it was nice to do something together.  🙂👍

IMG_8339.jpg

They look like new now!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saul said:

IMG_8339.jpg

Wow they really look like new!

TLDR be choosey over what you stick on your boots.

In case you're yet to garner I'm a part time geek. So when my expensive boots started looking shoddy I looked up what to use.

There's a balance to be struck between waterproofing and breathablilty. If you over waterproof your boots the gortex liner can be as breathable as you like it won't make any difference because the oils and wax added to the outer leather clog the leather pores comprehensively and you're looking at sweaty feet.

Brands like Daytona sell waterproofing conditioners that also guarantee the boots breathability. Waxes, saddle soap and alike are good if you don't think you'll ever wear your boots in warm conditions and generally have cold feet. I'm happy to fork out for the specific boot products because I rarely clean my boots.. save a quick slosh about in a puddle 😂

Dirty boots are cool 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Horse stuff is bloody expensive......the wife has got two.

Cool, I have just shown Kady, she reckons they are spicy, which sounded positive.  I don't get involved much with the cost, basically my Mrs works to pay for the two we Loan, rent and pay livery for.  There has been much talk about buying but I have been against it because as soon as we do it will be another pet whether the thing is suitable for them to ride at that moment or not.  At least with loaning once they outgrow the horse they can move on.  

• Like 4

Just now, Saul said:

Cool, I have just shown Kady, she reckons they are spicy, which sounded positive.  I don't get involved much with the cost, basically my Mrs works to pay for the two we Loan, rent and pay livery for.  There has been much talk about buying but I have been against it because as soon as we do it will be another pet whether the thing is suitable for them to ride at that moment or not.  At least with loaning once they outgrow the horse they can move on.  

Yep and then your lumbered with the hayburners and have to pay for two more and on n on it goes!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Saul said:

They're Andalucians!

• Like 1

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yep and then your lumbered with the hayburners and have to pay for two more and on n on it goes!

I am well aware, my best mate is also blessed with two horsey daughters, they currently have three and his life seems to be a round of moving poop and feeding and dragging a horse box around.    Won't be my life I have to much else top do.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

In case you're yet to garner I'm a part time geek. So when my expensive boots started looking shoddy I looked up what to use.

There's a balance to be struck between waterproofing and breathablilty. If you over waterproof your boots the gortex liner can be as breathable as you like it won't make any difference because the oils and wax added to the outer leather clog the leather pores comprehensively and you're looking at sweaty feet.

Brands like Daytona sell waterproofing conditioners that also guarantee the boots breathability. Waxes, saddle soap and alike are good if you don't think you'll ever wear your boots in warm conditions and generally have cold feet. I'm happy to fork out for the specific boot products because I rarely clean my boots.. save a quick slosh about in a puddle 😂

Dirty boots are cool 😆

I take your point but my Boots were ebay cheapies, only cost £40 so no sign of Gortex anywhere near them.   🙃  My other boots are army surplus despatch rider boots from the 1950's, where you put shopping bags over you feet before the boots when it rains.  I have yet to have had the pleasure of some decent boots with Gortex.    Maybe  one day.  

• Like 4

Talking about boots. These are my 11 year old Sidi trials boots, if you look at the articulated piece at the rear you can see what happens if you’re changing gear with your heel for 11 years 😁

D677DECE-1592-444B-BC12-321B7F9488E9.thumb.jpeg.20aa3264711d4b93c7346dd247ed6fee.jpeg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Dirty boots are cool 😆

So what do you recon i can put on Gore Tex boots to make them black again, I've not applied anything to them from new because i'm scared i'll bugger them up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

So what do you recon i can put on Gore Tex boots to make them black again, I've not applied anything to them from new because i'm scared i'll bugger them up

I used this, supposedly doesn't mess up the wicking, seems to do the trick.

If your boots are not black they do a 'neutral' 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/515146

• Like 1

Those boots look amazing, well done!

mine looked amazing three days ago.

Good thing about nicely prepped boots is that with just a dry show brush you can clean most of the new dirt away in seconds as it just falls off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

count on it

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

count on it

and it looks like the laptop is going in again tomorrow its bouncing about all over the place and turning blue

• Like 1
  • Haha 1