Harsh Reality

Saul

Feck me was it cold this morning, coming home from work and now seeing the temperature dropping to a seasonal 3c was a shock to the system after an  8 year break from biking.   Thank goodness it was only 32 miles.  I had a little difficulty getting off the bike.     🤣

I know the right gear is important and summer waterproof trousers over jeans doesn't cut it now. 

Not moaning really just a reminder of what I have chosen to do.  I see some padded motorcycling trousers and thermals in my near future. 👍

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saul said:

Feck me was it cold this morning, coming home from work and now seeing the temperature dropping to a seasonal 3c was a shock to the system after an  8 year break from biking.   Thank goodness it was only 32 miles.  I had a little difficulty getting off the bike.     🤣

I know the right gear is important and summer waterproof trousers over jeans doesn't cut it now. 

Not moaning really just a reminder of what I have chosen to do.  I see some padded motorcycling trousers and thermals in my near future. 👍

If you’re going to do that daily over winter, and your bike doing very little in weather protection, have you considered heated midlayers?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saul said:

I'd take the car! 

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Pedro said:

If you’re going to do that daily over winter, and your bike doing very little in weather protection, have you considered heated midlayers?

My top half was ok really apart from index fingers which were sitting out in the airstream from behind the hand guards.   From knees down I could feel some heat from the engine, so it was only really above the knees to my waist that got really cold.  I am hoping some decent lined waterproof winter trousers, along with some thermal underwear will solve the problem.  

The screen, front bags and hand guards provide a surprising amount of wind protection, to me anyway, more than I had expected.  It all a learning curve as I spent several happy years on fully faired BMW's so in the airstream at any sort of speed above 40 mph in something I haven't done for a very long time.  

I have looked at heated under layers and my Mrs suggested the same, not ruling them out just see how I get on.  

• Like 4

Yep heated vests are amazing. As are ski mobile suits and coldstore gear (which is considerably cheaper than a ski mobile suit. Just size up n put it over your usual gear. 

I have some very pricey thermal lined padded out trousers and they are ok but not as good as the ski mobile suit. Anything labelled up for more than -30 is good.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saul said:

My top half was ok really apart from index fingers which were sitting out in the airstream from behind the hand guards.   From knees down I could feel some heat from the engine, so it was only really above the knees to my waist that got really cold.  I am hoping some decent lined waterproof winter trousers, along with some thermal underwear will solve the problem.  

The screen, front bags and hand guards provide a surprising amount of wind protection, to me anyway, more than I had expected.  It all a learning curve as I spent several happy years on fully faired BMW's so in the airstream at any sort of speed above 40 mph in something I haven't done for a very long time.  

I have looked at heated under layers and my Mrs suggested the same, not ruling them out just see how I get on.  

Ah the cold store stuff might be a bit too warm for you then. 

• Like 2

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

It was only guards wasn't it?

No he showed us a pair of muffs in his possession not fitted and if you google muffs what your thinking of doesn't come up (dirty mind lol) and neither does what i'm thinking of :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

No he showed us a pair of muffs in his possession not fitted and if you google muffs what your thinking of doesn't come up (dirty mind lol) and neither does what i'm thinking of :classic_laugh:

I can assure you it does because I wanted a furry hand muff (the victorian type for keeping your hands warm not the dirt that's going through most people on heres minds) and the results were eye popping without a single hand warmer in sight. 

And that was before Six messed with my algorithms 😆

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I can assure you it does because I wanted a furry hand muff (the victorian type for keeping your hands warm not the dirt that's going through most people on heres minds) and the results were eye popping without a single hand warmer in sight. 

And that was before Six messed with my algorithms 😆

After you're recent searches for muffs I'm sure you know alot more than you're letting on....Oh Yeah Yes GIF by Originals