Driving Test Tomorrow.

Saul

Well not really, just my yearly works appraisal, which includes a driving assessment.  I will piss it, and the appraisal will give me a chance to get a few works issues off my chest.  Always makes me laugh as we are out of hours drivers and predominantly drive in the dark but the assessments are done in the day time.   Half the wind broken old codgers I work with can't see their hand in front of their face once the sun goes down.  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

My line manager, who will be asking me to covers shifts before the weekend.   Actually all joking aside I get on with him really well, couldn't wish for a better boss.  The next in line above him used to work with me at Royal Mail and outside of work is a mate.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Half the wind broken old codgers I work with can't see their hand in front of their face once the sun goes down.  🤣

I've been driving by Braille at night since 1983, I'm lucky if the road edges in the countryside have white lines so I can see where the edge is. My solution has been to just go slower.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Do you go on emergency rides, @Saul?

I used to have a friend who was a nurse and paramedic, he used to drive a doctor around on one of those quick emergency assistance cars, like these:

image.jpeg.0d2de68264228d718d819e5a781836f3.jpeg

Quite dangerous stuff, sometimes.

• Like 1

No mate we only respond to Urgent and routine home visits.  The sort of thing as GP would deal with during normal hours.  Also even though we drive the same Skoda Scouts the UK paramedics and emergency service use we are not licensed to break any traffic laws or pressurise other drivers to get out of the way.  Also on top of that none of us has a current blue light card.  263427426_10160231016176833_8665712837423922647_n.jpg.9a4903f1554f2f35248228fb31c6e014.jpg

• Like 4

I used to sail with a load of the Essex county fire brigade back in the day and I remember some of them talking about doing their DEV ( Driving Emergency Vehicles)  assesment, which they all referred to as the " Driving with Extreme Violence" 😂

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, MooN said:

I used to sail with a load of the Essex county fire brigade back in the day and I remember some of them talking about doing their DEV ( Driving Emergency Vehicles)  assesment, which they all referred to as the " Driving with Extreme Violence" 😂

As far as I know a DEV is what we know as a blue light card.  I have had a little insight into it as one of our current drivers is a retired police driving instructor who taught the DEV and pursuit driving.  Very interesting guy, I know him well as he sings in the same choir as me.  I would love to be a fly on the wall when my manager gives him the driving assessment.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just an update, I passed with flying colours, and the sneeky fooker put me in the DSG car.    Apparently we are moving to Kodiaks in the new year and they are all going to be DSG,s don't mind really I quite like an auto.   

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Saul said:

Just an update, I passed with flying colours, and the sneeky fooker put me in the DSG car.    Apparently we are moving to Kodiaks in the new year and they are all going to be DSG,s don't mind really I quite like an auto.   

Nice one!

Do they actually fail people on the test......despite the fact they already have a license?

1 hour ago, Saul said:

I wondered how you'd got on. Thanks for the update 👍 What do you have to do on this test?

1 hour ago, Saul said:

You'll be fine with an auto, you'll probably wonder why you ever changed gear manually eventually .

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I wondered how you'd got on. Thanks for the update 👍 What do you have to do on this test?

Give the examiner a hand job.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, XTreme said:

Nice one!

Do they actually fail people on the test......despite the fact they already have a license?

No I don't think they can fail you.  I know one of our drivers has been removed from driving for driving like a tit repeatedly.    Trackers on the cars do tell all.   

• Like 3

I had to do defensive driving at one of my companies years back. The company that did it used ex-police driving instructors, so we got a good insight into their techniques. I found it very valuable. 

Glad that you passed OK too. 👍😎

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Buckster said:

..To think i bothered Buck about not having new material the otter day and he hits this one out of the park....i hate/love when this happens. full ying then full yang mode. type chit:littleguy:

5 hours ago, Buckster said:

When I am tested next year I will have to remind myself, "What would Buckster do".   🤣👍

• Haha 4