Who owns over 800 Forums?

XTreme

A company by the name of Vertical Scope! These are just the ones that show up on Google.....there's page after page of them!

Amongst their acquisitions are a lot of motorcycle and automotive sites......and every forum looks exactly the same! Like THIS in fact!

Vertical Scope buy them up, then bump up membership prices and plaster the place in Ads. Total domination of the market!

Of course, the independents have always had paid memberships and Ads as well! And I do understand the reasoning for this!

However, I will point out that all the forums I've done since 2002 have always been free and never had Ads.

Yet the strange thing is that the site owners who receive revenue get worshipped as Forum Gods, but when I give people something for nothing, there are some who are still not happy.

But what do I know? I'm just an Internet troublemaker after all. :classic_unsure:

What can we learn from this @Tym?

• Like 3

My buddy started and owned a Duc forum and Vertical Scope bought it from him and killed it off in about a year. Was thriving forum and went straight to the shitter really fast. Both @DesmoDog and I were Moderators (probably had something to do with it';s demise) and it was a decent forum for awhile.

He got around $20K from Vertical Scope for it - not sure if that's a lot or not.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Earache said:

He got around $20K from Vertical Scope for it - not sure if that's a lot or not.

Oh yeh.....big dosh!

There was never any hope of me selling any of mine......one look at the clientele would have been enough for them! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

One of my old bosses used to say "if it costs nothing it has no value" , although this was in the context of giving customers something for nothing, which the sales guys liked doing....frequently! 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

If you apply that analogy to forums then there are some that cost something.....but actually have no value. 

Now I'm not saying this forum does actually have any value.....but at least people have the peace of mind of knowing it cost them nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XTreme said:

However, I will point out that all the forums I've done since 2002 have always been free and never had Ads.

which would explain why they've always been the haunts of skinflints and tightwads! :rofl:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, MooN said:

which would explain why they've always been the haunts of skinflints and tightwads! :rofl:

Nobody can ever say we were elitist Chris!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, XTreme said:

A company by the name of Vertical Scope! These are just the ones that show up on Google.....there's page after page of them!

Amongst their acquisitions are a lot of motorcycle and automotive sites......and every forum looks exactly the same! Like THIS in fact!

Vertical Scope buy them up, then bump up membership prices and plaster the place in Ads. Total domination of the market!

Of course, the independents have always had paid memberships and Ads as well! And I do understand the reasoning for this!

Yet the strange thing is that the site owners who receive revenue get worshipped as Forum Gods, but when I give people something for nothing, there are some who are still not happy.

But what do I know? I'm just an Internet troublemaker after all. :classic_unsure:

What can we learn from this @Tym?

you cant please all of the people all of the time just some of the people some of the time 😉

Just now, skyrider said:

you cant please all of the people all of the time just some o f the people some of the time 😉

And I don't even manage to please any of the people any of the time! :classic_laugh:

22 minutes ago, skyrider said:

well there you go

Well at least nobody has to pay for this mindless shit Lionel!

Unlike some places that actually charge for their mindless shit!

This is truly the best value mindless shit that you'll ever find!

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

Well at least nobody has to pay for this mindless shit Lionel!

Unlike some places that actually charge for their mindless shit!

This is truly the best value mindless shit that you'll ever find!

and thats exactly what i like Pete good value 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

They bought XRV.org and it not only went down hill, but the moderators all left shortly afterwards (including me).

i watched that with horror. Went down hill faster than people could jump off. Started with subscription demands too as I recall. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MooN said:

i watched that with horror. Went down hill faster than people could jump off. Started with subscription demands too as I recall. 

It happens with every forum they buy......I can't figure out how it can be profitable.

Yet they keep on buying them up.

• Like 1

I personally don't have a problem with a discreet and relevant ad here or there, as long as it doesn't eat up too much screen space or become to obtrusive, if it means the survival of the forum. Voluntary donations are also OK I think. But this is going at a tangent from the original post.

Yes, buying up forums and killing them off doesn't strike me as a robust business model! 😂😂

• Like 2