Old sayings.

Tym

My son used to say, 'Dad, I can't sleep'.

I would reply, 'If you can't sleep then you don't have to', then as his face lit up, ' BUT you have to lay there with your eyes closed all night'.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

My son used to say, 'Dad, I can't sleep'.

I would reply, 'If you can't sleep then you don't have to', then as his face lit up, ' BUT you have to lay there with your eyes closed all night'.

The most worrying thing about this is the fact that you were allowed to reproduce.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Buckster said:

The most worrying thing about this is the fact that you were allowed to reproduce.

It's easy, you don't need a licence, training or any sort of certificate. You have more trouble trying to adopt a dog from Battersea Dogs' Home than knocking out a sprog.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

Well I put that into google and I am none the wiser!

Wanted, wanted, potatoes with eels

It something you say when someone asks you for something you're not willing to give them or do, or something unrealistic. It doesn't make sense in English neither does the verb translate, it means "You would want, you would want, potatoes with eels"

Might have been from an older time when potatoes with eels was maybe a rich dish, I don't know.

• Like 2

"Oh puta, deita-te"

This is not so much a Portuguese saying, but a northern Portugal expression. It's not really PC, translates into "Oh whore (as in prostitute), lay down".

You apply it when you confronted with a situation that could easily be resolved but someone is making it more difficult than it needs to be, or when problems just keeps piling up and you can't solve one before the other appears. 

For example, you're driving along and someone is blocking the road doing a three point turn. That three point turn somehow turns into a 10 point turn and there is no sign it'll end, "Oh puta, deita-te", meaning "come on, let's get it over with"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

"Oh puta, deita-te"

This is not so much a Portuguese saying, but a northern Portugal expression. It's not really PC, translates into "Oh whore (as in prostitute), lay down".

You apply it when you confronted with a situation that could easily be resolved but someone is making it more difficult than it needs to be, or when problems just keeps piling up and you can't solve one before the other appears. 

For example, you're driving along and someone is blocking the road doing a three point turn. That three point turn somehow turns into a 10 point turn and there is no sign it'll end, "Oh puta, deita-te", meaning "come on, let's get it over with"

The English equivalent would be ‘making a meal of it’

My son has an official work document that is many many pages long and consists of nothing but Iranian insults. Most have to do with sex or people's mothers. At the top it asks for people to update the document if they hear any new ones.

2 minutes ago, yen_powell said:

"Come on, shit or get off the pot", when you are taking too long to do something.

In Portugal, that"either fuck, or get off (from top of her)" :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2