Old sayings.

Tym

"a few prawns short of a sea food salad"

" bercé trop pres du mur" is my fave french one. Literally meaning they rocked his cradle too close to the wall, inferring his head went; bump... bump...bump... :rofl:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

When my mom didn't want me to eat something she would say....

"it will put hair on your chest"

Has anyone heard that before or was it just my strange mother? ?

That means something good, here. Like a potent alcoholic beverage or a very spicy food that "will make a man out of you", same way as "putting hair on your chest", if you are a man that is :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Pedro said:

That means something good, here. Like a potent alcoholic beverage or a very spicy food that "will make a man out of you", same way as "putting hair on your chest", if you are a man that is :classic_laugh:

Same here.

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

Yep thats my understanding of it.

One I never understood-

You need to eat up your crusts they make your hair curly?!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Cow shit shines when its wet so even a turd can shine, doesnt mean its something good. Suppose its a bit like “all that glitters is not gold”

Sounds like you are describing a new Suzuki...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

When my mom didn't want me to eat something she would say....

"it will put hair on your chest"

Has anyone heard that before or was it just my strange mother? ?

It worked though, or have all canuk women got hairy chests?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Buckster said:

It worked though, or have all canuk women got hairy chests?

I'm sure there are a few ladies out there that didn't listen to their mothers and are real beauties now....?

hairy girl GIF

• Haha 3

On 08/04/2021 at 10:25, MooN said:

"froler la mort n'est rien, passer a coté de la vie est autrement plus grave"  

french biker proverb.

"dicing with death is nothing, missing out on living is far more serious"

I just discovered that this is actually FAR older an attributed to Marcus Aurelius ( and probably has a quite different meaning taken in context)

"neque hoc metueris, ne vivere aliquando desinas, sed ne nunquam naturae convenienter vivere incipias"

" it is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never begenning to live"

• Like 2

Two that don't really translate into english:

"Teso que nem um carapau"

Translated "Hard like a mackerel", fish, specially smaller fish get stiff after a few hours from being dead. Somehow being hard or stiff like a dead mackerel is what you are when you're broke and have no money. So you would say something like "I would invite you for a beer but I'm stiff like a mackerel"

My favourite: "armado em carapau de corrida"

Translated into "acting like (or pretending to be) a racing mackerel", obviously a racing mackerel is not a thing. When you're acting like you're the man, the best there is, playing yourself up, when in fact you are shit, you are acting like a racing mackerel.

• Haha 3

I always remember the advice given to me in the 1990s by a Hertfordshire TRF member, very old bloke, still riding about at that time though. He was talking about someone who had crashed quite hard and he looked me in the eye and said,

"Remember, the trail rider who looks at scenery, liable to become part of the scenery!"

• Like 2

Upon entering a room during cold weather and not shutting the door you would hear a few different shouted comments, such as:-

What's wrong with you, were you born in a barn?

or

Oi!! Put the wood in the hole.