Pedro's food

Pedro

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

do you have a proper christmas dinner @Pedro... turkey , roast spuds and all that or something else ?

In Portugal,  the most traditional Christmas dinner is salted codfish, with potatoes, cabbage, boiled eggs, and onion / olive oil sauce. I didn't really care for it as a child but really appreciate it now, it goes amazingly well together although I suppose not so for most British palates. 

On Christmas day lunch, it varies a lot but where I'm from it's usually roasted mutton or kid with either potatoes or rice, it's quite good. This year I won't have that as on the 25th I'll be on the bike, riding.

Turkey is not something that we cook the same way you do, roasted whole with stuffing, it's been imported by cultural assimilation but not really ours nor very common.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Pedro said:

In Portugal,  the most traditional Christmas dinner is salted codfish, with potatoes, cabbage, boiled eggs, and onion / olive oil sauce. I didn't really care for it as a child but really appreciate it now, it goes amazingly well together although I suppose not so for most British palates. 

On Christmas day lunch, it varies a lot but where I'm from it's usually roasted mutton or kid with either potatoes or rice, it's quite good. This year I won't have that as on the 25th I'll be on the bike, riding.

Turkey is not something that we cook the same way you do, roasted whole with stuffing, it's been imported by cultural assimilation but not really ours nor very common.

I have detested the salted cod and boiled stuff all my life, until @Pedro Mum told me about the trick that makes it all very delicious!! Now I enjoy it like never and will make it for me and my Dad! 

In the UK I learned to make a great Turkey, with the invaluable help of Nigella, but just me and my Dad,we will stick to the cod!! 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Pedro said:

sounds ok , ill have a go at anything, food wise

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

FB_IMG_1639991491884.jpg.87241bcf159686c5338f97d55f0927b6.jpg

• Haha 5

In Italy they call salted cod 'baccala'  , one of the characters in 'The Sopranos' was called Bobby Baccala .

My mother-in-law makes in a sauce tomato sauce with capers, olives, parsley and onions.  It's bloody lovely, in fact I'm hungry now just thinking about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, boboneleg said:

In Italy they call salted cod 'baccala'  , one of the characters in 'The Sopranos' was called Bobby Baccala .

My mother-in-law makes in a sauce tomato sauce with capers, olives, parsley and onions.  It's bloody lovely, in fact I'm hungry now just thinking about it.

Codfish itself is called baccala, we call it bacalhau

• Like 2

On 24/12/2021 at 19:29, boboneleg said:

Salmon, prawns in breadcrumbs, cauliflower in batter, bass with lemon and sauce and friariello.

1DCD1EE0-F113-4688-9A31-DCF6A38F07DB.thumb.jpeg.bfe27ada0d6c1e1c727feb921d1a658b.jpeg

CFEF1D93-7825-47B5-ADAC-ACBC1AC47EC8.thumb.jpeg.274bd5a9c338c1b32cc5803f3b510e6a.jpeg

EAE47223-1334-4B6A-B09C-4E59AD1E7E0F.thumb.jpeg.ab4515b7c6375f5bf3390c8e7dc7310d.jpeg

please bob , tell me that aint tomato sauce on the table

• Haha 1

On 23/12/2021 at 22:54, boboneleg said:

Certainly not your mother in law's expertise, but this was also my dinner two days ago:

IMG_3660.thumb.jpeg.f5aea58402c7fe256e204a5ad0501592.jpeg

IMG_3659.thumb.jpeg.be3717bfdacaba6ede9e41a7c49a5805.jpeg

• Like 3