On 21/06/2020 at 13:16, Pedro said:

I used to ride through mud too, got old quick. You don’t have a choice, though, I think? Do you know what dust is? :classic_laugh:

Got old....getting dirty never gets old, I've got a good idea for a thread....?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

This video is from May, had some time to work on my footage lately.  I spent all yesterday working on the most ridiculous after thought on any bike ever.  The ABS was added to meet regulations, so they stuffed it into a silly spot.  I finally got the line routed and on and now I'm worried it isn't tight enough.  The true test is to take it out today and get it hot.  If I don't have a shower of brake fluid I will be one happy girl.   

Why didn't you go for something like a CB500X?

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Why didn't you go for something like a CB500X?

I fell in love with the Royal Enfield and the look, the simple nature of it.  BUT, I really wish I had the carb version and no ABS.  The price was right as well.  I was also getting back into motorcycling after a few years and didn't know which "adventure" bike I wanted.  NOW that I know more I am looking at a DR650....about as simple as it gets....air cooled, no ABS, carb, 21" front wheel.....oh it sounds lovely....lol.  I looked at the CB500X, but it didn't seem to have much personality. ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Isn’t the ABS disconnectable for off road? 

The new 2020 has it so you can turn it off, I have a 2019 (no option, just on).  It's just one more thing to be a pain in the ass when in the backcountry.  I managed for 20 years without ABS, so it can just go sit in the corner....stupid ABS....   Sorry, still a little sensitive after my day yesterday.....Damn annoying....I'll get over it.  ?

3 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

I fell in love with the Royal Enfield and the look, the simple nature of it.  BUT, I really wish I had the carb version and no ABS.  The price was right as well.  I was also getting back into motorcycling after a few years and didn't know which "adventure" bike I wanted.  NOW that I know more I am looking at a DR650....about as simple as it gets....air cooled, no ABS, carb, 21" front wheel.....oh it sounds lovely....lol.  I looked at the CB500X, but it didn't seem to have much personality. ?

At the moment I have three bikes, CRF250 Rally, Tenere 700 and a DR650. If for whatever reason I could only have one bike then it would be the Donkey (DR650), best ‘do it all’ bike ever ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

Can’t you just take the abs fuse off for offroad?

Yes I could, but I'm lazy.....  It's not really the ABS itself but the pile of stuff they added too the bike to accommodate it.  The lines are routed in a silly manner as it was an after thought. ?

1 hour ago, boboneleg said:

At the moment I have three bikes, CRF250 Rally, Tenere 700 and a DR650. If for whatever reason I could only have one bike then it would be the Donkey (DR650), best ‘do it all’ bike ever ?

I need to ride highway bits in-between my gravel roads, how does the DR650 handle on the tarmac?

8 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

I need to ride highway bits in-between my gravel roads, how does the DR650 handle on the tarmac?

I had one 10 years ago! Great bike! Does well on the tarmac.......plenty of pull in it.

They haven't been sold in Europe since 1996.......if they were I'd buy a new one one right now!

dr83.jpg.b99e03081ad819a7601a6dbcb4cd6463.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

Mine has done several trips to France and Spain, 2000 miles trips, roads and trails.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grasshopper's Ride said:

The DR650 is about 19kg (41lb) lighter than the RE, the only down side is the DR is a lot taller but that can be sorted if needed

• Like 1

A long time ago, spanish magazine La Moto put a fast rider on a DR650 on road tires, and compared it to a CRB600 on a stretch of road used for what can best be described as a mix of motorcycle hillclimb and wrc tarmac rally, they used to have that kind of racing back then. Result was pretty much a tie.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Following the Sunrays & A Stroll to Wormy Lake ?

As we slowly meandered down a gravel road through the tall evergreens ? and lush ferns, we noticed a smaller trail off to the side. As the Himalayans puttered up the trail, the sunrays seem to encourage us to follow them. The high summer sunlight danced through the forest and the richly coloured soil just added more vibrance to the blue sky and rich greens around us. ? Coming to a nice resting spot we ventured into the forest, after a quick stroll we found a trail that lead us to a beautiful lake. The lake was still, the water was clear and the now we knew what following the sunrays could do. ?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I was out riding along the forest service roads the other day...on a lovely summer day, not knowing the close encounter with danger that was in my near future. Now riding an adventure bike in the backcountry or participating in any activity really, always has the potential for accidents to happen. On these forest service roads in ? British Columbia many interesting things await you around a corner, some perhaps travelling a little swiftly and at angles that can be alarming. ? A scary moment for all involved as the Grasshopper meets a monster on a lovely ? summer day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That guy's a lunatic driving like that on those roads!

Its a nature of that business Pete, try getting in the way of a truck hauling live animals to the market out West, they will drive you off the road. Yes @Grasshopper's Ride he almost tipped over imho :littleguy:

• Like 1

Right idiot. 

I encounter guys like that sometimes, when they’re harvesting tomato and taking overloaded trailers to the tomato pulp plant, racing too hard only to get to the plant and have 10 trucks to unload in front of them, all working for the same farm.

The Himalayan really seems suited to the kind of riding you do, how far away from home is that?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XTreme said:

That guy's a lunatic driving like that on those roads!

Completely agree, it was a Saturday and as you can see we were not the only ones out having fun.  I know the trucks have the right of way out there, but maybe take it back about 20% so everyone gets home for dinner....  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

Right idiot. 

I encounter guys like that sometimes, when they’re harvesting tomato and taking overloaded trailers to the tomato pulp plant, racing too hard only to get to the plant and have 10 trucks to unload in front of them, all working for the same farm.

The Himalayan really seems suited to the kind of riding you do, how far away from home is that?

I'm hoping the truck driver needed to change is underwear when he got home, brown zone for all involved.  ?  You are so right, the Himalayan is perfect for the Sunshine Coast and the conditions here, I love it.   I was about 45mins from home so I guess I could have dragged my mangled body home to die if needed....  I was so happy to be alive that day, truly.  Had to crack open a bottle of expensive Cognac when I got home. ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, boboneleg said:

What an arsehole, he obviosly wasn't paying attention.  Good job you two pulled over smartish .

He was so spooked by the cyclist that he must have been eating a sandwich or something, for sure not paying attention.  I was happy that I managed to pull over and not fall into the ditch beside me.  I even put the bike into neutral without knowing I did. ?

• Like 2