Africa Twin?

Saul

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

I would, but if your CB500 is perfect for your roads an Africa Twin will feel large and top heavy in comparison. 

What would you gain from one?

I am not sure really, more thinking about it, an itch.  Not sure if I would trade in my CB500.    If I did get an AT would have to lower it.  Serious off roading isn't for me.    If not an AT I would think of a CBF1000, or VFR 800.  More a big comfy tourer territory.  I suppose I am more thinking out loud.  

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Saul said:

I am not sure really, more thinking about it, an itch.  Not sure if I would trade in my CB500.    If I did get an AT would have to lower it.  Serious off roading isn't for me.    If not an AT I would think of a CBF1000, or VFR 800.  More a big comfy tourer territory.  I suppose I am more thinking out loud.  

So, any Honda then :classic_laugh:

Crosstourers are nice, but very heavy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A bit like my (occasional) riding buddy.....he had a TMax500 and developed a itch for a TMax560.

He paid £12,000 for a new one, disliked so many things about it.......6months later it was sold back to CMC Clay Cross, he lost nigh on 4 grand.......the grass ain't always greener came to mind.

• Like 4

I have one @Saul but i am like Pete with his CB500 i think the Africa Twin is the best bike in the world LOL Honestly though it is a tall bike and not sure if lowering it would make it handle weird. I do think they are big heavy bikes to move about now where a few years ago it wouldn't bother me. Riding it is totally different doesn't feel heavy at all on my own but i find i'm not as confident on it loaded up with the wife and luggage as i used to be. I don't use it on the dirt never bought it for that, it makes great road bike, I've been looking at down sizing to a T700 or the new Transalp, even looked at the NC750X as an option but all those thoughts go out the window when i ride the Africa twin. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I do think they are big heavy bikes to move about now where a few years ago it wouldn't bother me.

It's strange that weight is a big factor as we get older, but never entered into it when we were young.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, XTreme said:

It's strange that weight is a big factor as we get older, but never entered into it when we were young.

I think my balance has a lot to do with it as well, if i walk on something like a curbstone and look up or around i fall off it, never used to years ago 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I think my balance has a lot to do with it as well, if i walk on something like a curbstone and look up or around i fall off it, never used to years ago 

Fall Down GIF by CBS

It a age thing. 👍 

Mine is my inner ear problems, my wife just says "What the fuck are you doing on the floor" 🤣

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Saul said:

do it jewish GIF

• Like 1

If you want a low seat comfy tourer you want a lowered GS. Handling is slower than a tall one, but as a bike to carry luggage over all sorts of roads nothing beats it. 

Buy a good looking late 2015 / 2016 one, it’ll be ok.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I have one @Saul but i am like Pete with his CB500 i think the Africa Twin is the best bike in the world LOL Honestly though it is a tall bike and not sure if lowering it would make it handle weird. I do think they are big heavy bikes to move about now where a few years ago it wouldn't bother me. Riding it is totally different doesn't feel heavy at all on my own but i find i'm not as confident on it loaded up with the wife and luggage as i used to be. I don't use it on the dirt never bought it for that, it makes great road bike, I've been looking at down sizing to a T700 or the new Transalp, even looked at the NC750X as an option but all those thoughts go out the window when i ride the Africa twin. 

That is interesting Fred.  I am not sure if it is grass is greener syndrome with me.  I do like the look and reputation of the AF, but I am not sure if I just want something with a bit more kick than my CB500, which itself is quick enough really.   Like you I almost invariably change my mind once I go for a ride on it.  Just so easy to live with.    Perhaps I am looking at things from the wrong side.  I do like the look of the new Hornet and that would definitely have more kick but I am missing some wind protection so perhaps the Transalp or NC750X, or even the new Tiger Sport 660.   Weight is an issue for me to, 16 years away from rugby and weight training and I am nowhere near as strong or nimble as I used to be when I had bigger heavier bikes.  I tipped my CB over in a carpark  recently, rushing, and I didn't find it easy to pick it up so there is that to consider.  Perhaps I should stop navel gazing and just enjoy what I have.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Pedro said:

So, any Honda then :classic_laugh:

Crosstourers are nice, but very heavy. 

Not necessarily but I do like them as I don't want to be tinkering just jump on and go.   I have a mate with a 800 Crosstourer and I liked it, the 1200 is huge though.   I do like a GS and an older one would suit me, but I am a bit wary of the reliability of newer BMW's but I am not sure if that reputation is justified, not really researched it that much.   

• Like 2

Just now, XTreme said:

Don't risk going for a run with @Slowlycatchymonkey then.......you two will be going down like skittles!

Baby Fall Over GIF

I am pretty good most of the time I  was just bursting for a piss and not focused on the job in hand.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If you've no real interest in going offroad,  then something more road focused would be better? Another alternative is a V-Strom 650? Legendary reliability and comfort. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

I don't even have to be on a curbstone to do this, I can fall off a perfectly flat pavement! 😂😂

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Tango said:

If you've no real interest in going offroad,  then something more road focused would be better? Another alternative is a V-Strom 650? Legendary reliability and comfort. 

I do like the Strom and SV650 but much as I know they make a lot of sense they don't really do it for me enough to actually buy one.  I like the wide bars and riding position of an off roader but don't really want a tall bike much over 200KG's.  Perhaps I should just get some new bars for my CB.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Saul said:

I do like the Strom and SV650 but much as I know they make a lot of sense they don't really do it for me enough to actually buy one.  I like the wide bars and riding position of an off roader but don't really want a tall bike much over 200KG's.  Perhaps I should just get some new bars for my CB.  

The Africa Twin is well over 200Kg I think. I'm definitely thinking about the weight of bikes now, but it's also how the weight is distributed. My Street Scrambler is a bit over 200Kg, but the weight is fairly low. This is helped by the small fuel tank, but that's it's achillies heel for me, in that the range is not great, even though the consumption figures are pretty good for a 900cc bike.

Tiger Sport 660 could be a possibility then?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tango said:

The Africa Twin is well over 200Kg I think. I'm definitely thinking about the weight of bikes now, but it's also how the weight is distributed. My Street Scrambler is a bit over 200Kg, but the weight is fairly low. This is helped by the small fuel tank, but that's it's achillies heel for me, in that the range is not great, even though the consumption figures are pretty good for a 900cc bike.

Tiger Sport 660 could be a possibility then?

I love the Tiger 660 Sprint, very cool bike, but it gets spendy when you spec it up, which is what I would want.  Doesn't make it a no just not something I would jump at without serious thought.  

• Like 2

On 02/10/2023 at 19:23, XTreme said:

yes i have found that too Pete' these days i like to keep it small and light

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, skyrider said:

These days?

there’s a serow picture? In the wild?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

So we see Lionel , your bike is so light it's invisible .............

Star Trek Nod GIF

• Haha 2