My trip to the UK

Pedro

Christ almighty. Someones been down the vino. 

Full of crap means someones lying. 

I don't think anyone who's posted is lying, and the laws the law.

Is it enforced randomly? Yes

Do the people enforcing it understand the rules? no

Does joe public understand the law? nope

Does it happen to brits living in the UK? yes, regularly.

The CCTV stuff is also covered by the entrapment laws as well as our data protection rules.

The wonderful cash cow that cameras are may not have fully arrived at your shores yet but they're making their way there. Slowly creeping their money making evil down Spains main roads soon to be at a place near you. The difference is by law we must be told about them, the rest of the EU nope you carry on up the fine worthy khyber.

Got points on your licence? Bet you didnt even know the camera was there.

• Like 1

Nice little edit on your post there Pedro.

Not cool. But I've come to expect that stuff from you.

Sometimes it's good to accept your interpretation of something is based on a small experience rather than a wider one.

I might well come across as "full of myself" for daring to offer a different point of view. 

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

and yet other people come across as untravelled, quick to judge and rather intolerant.

• Like 1

ps

A pasty is serious pre sandwich peasant food, the crust wasn't even supposed to be eaten, it was to keep dirty miners hands away from the food they ingested and then decarded. The potato is to add cheap calories. It was common for any left over dinner to be made in to a pasty for lunch.

The queues at the ports are because a french company won the port contract and refuses to staff the UK properly.

Hedges are brilliant organic fencing that support a bazillion bits of natural wildlife.

Multipacks are not allowed to be broken down and sold as separate units in the UK. The packaging states just that.

The not proper "dough" on your pie in that pub towards the end is roughy puffy pastry. A very old and delightfully more difficult pastry to produce with lovely results.

I adore Sammy Millers, he came out and said hi when I visited. Lovely place.

They make you arrive stupid early at a ferry port so they can group and load the vehicles fast. The first tranche usually get on first and off first. Annoyingly sometimes its last.

Alright, I'll try to stay away from this thread from now on even though I did go into a bit of work to post it.

If after a few days I come back and the tone remains I'll just ask Pete to delete it and be done with it, this really wasn't the energy I wanted it to transmit as I did have a nice visit and a good time in the UK, and came back with good memories.

• Like 2

Hmm as ever a very tricky customer.

I fully acknowledge that you have given time to produce a beautiful report and put a lot of gorgeous work into it. I think I even said so straight away.

But you're not a three year old child unable to process other peoples opinion's on your commentary.

And some of the things you've posted warrant further comment.

I absolutely adored your understanding of the velvet grass, the free reigning animals and some of the British bits of design.

No need to throw a wobbler. The Brits (are mainly) with you. Just maybe accept a little autocorrect.

• Like 1

Mary Siever died yesterday. She was cool as f*ck and gave freely to other womany motorcyclists her whole life.

This is a pic of her a few weeks ago released from hospital to a nursing home where she knew exactly what was about to happen. 

She totally rocks.

image.png.0db6328418f6d1e3659c9d93c7d62ee9.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'm not going to make any comment on Pedro and Sofia's opinions......other than to say they have every right to express them within the context of their trip, as others have the right to dispute them.

But bear in mind their views come from the perspective of a foreigner visiting the place........and yours come from the perspective of a native who's lived there all their lives. They are two polar opposite standpoints.

Nobody's right and nobody's wrong......it's just different perspectives.

The same applies to me living here.....I can't see Spain the way Spaniards do, and they can't see Spain the way I do.

So can we move on from this aspect and focus on the motorcycling element.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

Alright, I'll try to stay away from this thread from now on even though I did go into a bit of work to post it.

If after a few days I come back and the tone remains I'll just ask Pete to delete it and be done with it, this really wasn't the energy I wanted it to transmit as I did have a nice visit and a good time in the UK, and came back with good memories.

I think your reading too much into it Pedro it just reads as normal forum banter to me People are just offering explanations for the experiences you had unfortunately it's human nature to dwell on the bad things rather than the good things you experienced but i see nothing malicious about it, hope you can see it for what it is and leave the post here for everyone to enjoy.

• Like 2

I think Sophia is bang on, too many cameras, too much woke bollocks. It’s all causing a state of tension where people are suspicious of everyone, that comes across as intolerance but it is a symptom of stress. 

As for the Leatherman incident, it may be because when @Pedro smiles he looks like a serial killer.

Pity you two didn’t get up to Scotland, it’s a different world. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I wish to seriously apologise for all this altercation, because the issue was with what I wrote and not Pedro. It was my post that seemed to have trigger Caroline. In my line of work I always think first for the Why, so I dont tend to assume or judge situations on face value. I confess I have no clue why it triggered her to go down the road of "bollocks" and a defensive attitude, but its not important at all!

I am super happy for her and everyone, seeing them super content with their lives and enviournment and how things work around them! That is amazing!! 

There is nothing wrong with thinking different and having different views at all, healthy debate is most welcomed and important to bring people together. But semantics matter and In this situation there is a stark difference between the very nice way Fred expressed his feelings and Caroline's. For sure there are no bad intentions on her part, that's what we believe. On the other hand if someone throws "bollocks" in the air, in a written form where its not possible to understand if its banter or not, one just desingages and moves on. Life is too short.

It's a great shame, I am very sorry I caused all this and I hope you can forgive my intromission. 90% of what I wrote is about love, unfortunately the 10% triggered a big reaction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Sofia said:

I wish to seriously apologise for all this altercation, because the issue was with what I wrote and not Pedro. It was my post that seemed to have trigger Caroline. In my line of work I always think first for the Why, so I dont tend to assume or judge situations on face value. I confess I have no clue why it triggered her to go down the road of "bollocks" and a defensive attitude, but its not important at all!

I am super happy for her and everyone, seeing them super content with their lives and enviournment and how things work around them! That is amazing!! 

There is nothing wrong with thinking different and having different views at all, healthy debate is most welcomed and important to bring people together. But semantics matter and In this situation there is a stark difference between the very nice way Fred expressed his feelings and Caroline's. For sure there are no bad intentions on her part, that's what we believe. On the other hand if someone throws "bollocks" in the air, in a written form where its not possible to understand if its banter or not, one just desingages and moves on. Life is too short.

It's a great shame, I am very sorry I caused all this and I hope you can forgive my intromission. 90% of what I wrote is about love, unfortunately the 10% triggered a big reaction.

You have nothing to apologise for you just wrote what your honest experience was. I think there is some lost in translation moments here that are being taken to heart and their not intended that way, or i might be talking total bollocks as usual :classic_laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Pedro said:

Delete the report!😲...that would be a great shame......Best thing I have read since I have been (back ) here. 👍 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

Disclaimer: prosciutto is Italian, it´s similar but not the same thing. If I say ham which is the literal translation it'll all get confusing. 

Also, this is a ride report, not an assault of a different culture.

I'm certainly not offended by anything you've written , I want to hear what someone from another country thinks of GB, (sorry we've got to call it UK now and must change the stickers on out bikes).

There are many things going to the dogs in UK right now but overall I wouldn't want to live anywhere else (except perhaps France) , I could go and live in Italy tomorrow if I wanted but I've seen how that country works (and others) and it's definitely not better than UK.

I thank you for your report and your observations 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Buckster said:

I think Sophia is bang on, too many cameras, too much woke bollocks. It’s all causing a state of tension where people are suspicious of everyone, that comes across as intolerance but it is a symptom of stress. 

As for the Leatherman incident, it may be because when @Pedro smiles he looks like a serial killer.

I have to agree with @Buckster about Scotland, I enjoyed the trips when delivering there, never had a problem with travelling around, or with any of the people, and some stunning scenery to go with it.

I was delivering to  place in Banchory, had a devil of a job finding it, as it was on Forestry Commission land down a track in a forest. 

Finally found it, and the guy who was to receive what I was deliver was wearing a kilt, hat and had a huge ginger beard, he greeted me in the broadest Yorkshire accent I have heard for years. 😂 

• Haha 5

I’m pretty sure it’s fine to say bollocks on this forum. 

I’m also fairly sure it’s ok to offer a different perspective and offer explanations for the innocent well meaning but perhaps misguided observations of folk commenting on things they’ve not seen before. 

If you post negative things about someone’s homeland that appear incorrect to the people who actually live there you can expect a response. 

I wouldn’t dream of posting my negative observations about Portugal or Spain in any other form than a question because firstly I’d want to ask why and secondly it’s rude.

Most here are too polite to offer a different perspective.
I’m not.
I love many things about the UK and so do most of the folk on this forum. The constant downing of anything related to this land wears very thin. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Buckster said:

Indeed it was a pity as I would certainly enjoy it, but originally this was Sofia's trip and for her to spend some time with her friends over there. We just didn't have time to do both.

I did like a lot of things in the parts I did visit though, and overall had a great experience.

• Like 4

Prolly a personal thing but no they really aren’t.

Mister and Mrs Blah Blah wittering away about noticing a doors painted green or they forgot something is boring a hell. 
Had one guy forcefully announcing the speed limit every digression!. PISS RIGHT OFF. 

Old fashioned shite (ie radio silence) is good stuff. 

52 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

@Pedro can you do one thing for me and explain to Pete that everything is green here now and not slag heaps and coal dust :classic_laugh:

Everything is green there now, Pete!

I saw no coal dust.

:classic_ninja:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Six30 said:

just wondered , they are handy when riding with someone .

They are, more so when you're riding along following your nose and improvising as you're getting to places. 

I do also enjoy the odd music now and again when by myself.

• Like 2