Key or no key ?

boboneleg

We now have two cars with no ignition key.  One has absolutely no key at all,  just a push button start and the other you can use the key in an emergency.  I hate it as I'm constantly worried about losing the key(s), with a keyed ignition it's almost impossible to lose it while your in the car as it's obvious where you have to put it.

This is not an advancement imo it's a pain in the arse, what say you ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

We now have two cars with no ignition key.  One has absolutely no key at all,  just a push button start and the other you can use the key in an emergency.  I hate it as I'm constantly worried about losing the key(s), with a keyed ignition it's almost impossible to lose it while your in the car as it's obvious where you have to put it.

not wrong

In a car I like no key, proper no key with the door unlocking from proximity. Didn’t think I would but after having that I find myself trying to open the locked door and keeping the fob in my pocket while starting the car.

No such issues in proper older cars where the key actually opens the door and is not a remote, I like either that or full keyless :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I'm not a fan of it, when my E46 dies I don't know what I will do, all this new tech, keyless, touchscreen, push button handbrake, DCT malarky just gets on my tits.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

In a car I like no key, proper no key with the door unlocking from proximity. Didn’t think I would but after having that I find myself trying to open the locked door and keeping the fob in my pocket while starting the car.

No such issues in proper older cars where the key actually opens the door and is not a remote, I like either that or full keyless :classic_laugh:

That's what gets to me, I keep the fob in my pocket but I'm shit scared of losing it, it just doesn't seem right not putting a key in an ignition because then you always know whwere it is .

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Saul said:

I'm not a fan of it, when my E46 dies I don't know what I will do, all this new tech, keyless, touchscreen, push button handbrake, DCT malarky just gets on my tits.   

That’s ironic because an E46 with its key detection immobilizer is a little bit the worse of both worlds.

• Like 3

my Toyota anus  Auris has no ignition key or door key except the electronic thingummy. I just keep it in my pocket.  Most keyless ignition cars have a slot or spot or specific place to put the key but it's in my pocket so dont lose it any more than I did a "proper" key. 

• Like 2

Just now, boboneleg said:

That's what gets to me, I keep the fob in my pocket but I'm shit scared of losing it, it just doesn't seem right not putting a key in an ignition because then you always know whwere it is .

I would be scared to have it on a motorcycle, just dropping it on a ride and only realising at next start up.

• Like 2

And don't get me started on the newer Ducati's (other bikes may have it as well) where you only have a fob.  There's no way I'll ever be buying a bike with that system .........

cat-nah.gif.f76658d5c00b5ec83af4e3d900001bda.gif

• Like 3

Just now, boboneleg said:

And don't get me started on the newer Ducati's (other bikes may have it as well) where you only have a fob.  There's no way I'll ever be buying a bike with that system .........

The GS with the non key to run the bike but key to work the luggage. It’s like they’re just making it complicated for the sake of it.

• Like 3

Just now, Pedro said:

That’s ironic because an E46 with its key detection immobilizer is a little bit the worse of both worlds.

I don't see that, key based immobiliser is old tech that has been used for years.  My E46 has a key, hand brake, normal clocks and manual gearbox.  Just how I like it.  

I have read no end of horror stories about E46's, never had to spend anything on mine apart from tyres and servicing.  It's 21 years old and I would trust it to go anywhere.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

When I was about to order my bike a dealership tried to sell me a fully loaded used bike. It had everything possible except the keyless ignition, the previous owner bought it with a reality tv winner’s purse, and then traded it in for one with the keyless thing. Outraged after his mate showed up with no key in his ignition!!!

It was still 7000€ more than what I paid for mine, and ruined by a tv celebrity having sat on it :classic_laugh:

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Saul said:

I don't see that, key based immobiliser is old tech that has been used for years.  My E46 has a key, hand brake, normal clocks and manual gearbox.  Just how I like it.  

I have read no end of horror stories about E46's, never had to spend anything on mine apart from tyres and servicing.  It's 21 years old and I would trust it to go anywhere.  

I would trust it too, but electronics on newer cars are easier. Back in E46 time if something goes wrong you’re mostly guessing and try and error fixing it. 

• Like 3

No key on my scoot, seat opens via a button, steering lock and petrol cap work off of a rotary nob which cannot be turned without the fob being close to the scoot.

I just put the fob on the inside pocket of my jacket and zip it shut.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Clive said:

No key on my scoot, seat opens via a button, steering lock and petrol cap work off of a rotary nob which cannot be turned without the fob being close to the scoot.

I just put the fob on the inside pocket of my jacket and zip it shut.

See? You‘re a modern man, not like xTreme Caveman in Spain 

• Haha 4

Just now, Pedro said:

I had a Renault Magane (😔)a few years ago, that had the credit card thing that was pushed in the dash slot.......it worked quite well,  until I sat down with it in my back pocket...........and snapped it almost in half. 😂 

The rest of the car was a disaster.......if that car was a horse I would have shot it. 😡 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I would trust it too, but electronics on newer cars are easier. Back in E46 time if something goes wrong you’re mostly guessing and try and error fixing it. 

That was the thrust of what I was saying is if and when my E46 is no more I will try and find something older and simpler, I don't enjoy the way new cars are going in terms of owning one.  Great to drive but way to complicated and expensive to fix, the modern Skodas I drive at work are great cars to drive but I wouldn't own one.   The breakdowns we have had over their 5 years with us have been numerous and expensive, we have even had one of the 10 burn to the ground.  We have got Kodiaqs coming in May, that's going to be interesting in service.   Again lovely cars to drive but how they will cope with our service will be interesting which DCT's, button handbrakes and touch screen everything.    

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Yes he's definitely living in the 70's he should move back to the UK because he recons that's where we are heading so he will feel right at home  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Sir Fallsalot said:

Yes he's definitely living in the 70's he should move back to the UK because he recons that's where we are heading so he will feel right at home  :classic_laugh:

And will he be singing....The Green Green Grass of Home. 🤔 

• Haha 3

Sod that keyless system. It’s as easily scannable as physical keys are copied. 

Except the inconvenience of having a keyless lump in a pocket you’d prefer empty.. and a £250 fee to the added inconvenience of losing it in the first place. 

• Like 4

Mandy's car is keyless, which takes a bit of getting used to, but the Audi has a good old fashioned key! I'm OCD, so losing the key isn't an issue for me, but Mandy.................! 😂😂😂

• Like 1